Movies that you'll never watch or watch again

I don't like horror movies anymore either, for the same reasons as most. Life is scary enough to sit back and say: I need my scare fix!

There are two movies that I promised myself I would never watch again: “The Exorcist” and “Rose Mary's Baby”. And yet… If I can handle the horror on this planet, I thought, let's see how much you can handle these two movies.

Both films are very well done, so I watched them with detachment. It's an exercise in detachment and at the same time studying my reactions. But these films are so well made that they are also two lessons in how to make a very good movie. By watching them I study the direction, the script, the images, the actors, the music. The tools the director uses to scare, frighten, manipulate. This exercise also teaches us how to watch manipulators in real life, how they do the same thing: their staging, the actors, the manipulation, etc. and how to use the same detachment as when watching a horror movie.

There are two movies that I promised myself I would never watch again: “The Exorcist” and “Rose Mary's Baby”. And yet… If I can handle the horror on this planet, I thought, let's see how much you can handle these two movies.
I can't speak for Rosemary's Baby as I have never watched the full film, just snippets, but I consider the Exorcist one of the scariest films I have ever seen. I am a bit of a horror film buff on the quiet but that one really gets to me. Usually I can also be detatched and watching blood and gore films don't appeal unless there is good acting and a decent storyline. The Exorcist seems to be one on its own though. The special effects might seem tame compared to today's amazing stuff but it just seems so real and believable in an unbelievable way...

One film which was really impactful was Stephen King's The Mist. Gripping until the unbearably sad ending. That is the reason I can never watch it again.

One favourite film which I watch regularly is "The Warriors". It is a 1979 cult gang related film. It is strange but fascinating and well worth a look if you find yourself with a couple of hours to spare.

Last edited:
I don't like horror movies anymore either, for the same reasons as most. Life is scary enough to sit back and say: I need my scare fix!

Both films are very well done, so I watched them with detachment. It's an exercise in detachment and at the same time studying my reactions. But these films are so well made that they are also two lessons in how to make a very good movie. By watching them I study the direction, the script, the images, the actors, the music. The tools the director uses to scare, frighten, manipulate. This exercise also teaches us how to watch manipulators in real life, how they do the same thing: their staging, the actors, the manipulation, etc. and how to use the same detachment as when watching a horror movie.
I have really enjoy both of these films!

Yes they are both deeply disturbing but I think both (and especially the Exorcist) have decent stories to tell.

Neither are the type of violence for the sake of violence/shock that many horror movies became.

I have always seen The Exorcist as a tale of the Father Karras struggle for faith represented in his battle against the demon. The scenes the movie is most famous for are certainly shocking, even today, but to some extent get across the depth of the demonic evil that he is up against and the complete corruption it can inflict in a child.

Still, I get it is not for everyone!

Rosemary's Baby I find less enjoyable but seemed to be an earlier attempt by Polanski to put across many of the satanic cult themes later shown in Eyes Wide Shut.

Sometimes to sell a film, publicity plays an important role of manipulation, this is what is around the movie The Exorcist. When the movie came out, it was said that people were fainting in the theater, and it was forbidden for people under 18 years old. I was around 14 years old, and I went to see the movie already afraid to see the movie, and afraid that they would find out that I was not 18. Perfect spectator for the film! There were also Catholics outside the theater who were praying and opposing the movie.

But I quickly forgot about the film. It was only later that I realized that the possessed are also people with ties. You know what I mean. But in principle I don't like this kind of movie because we have learned that there are entities everywhere, and they are not funny at all.

Polanski's film is more of a suspense film with the wonderful actor John Cassavetes. But also, a film that disturbs, that's why I take it with tongs.

Better to watch a good comedy these days. And there are some very good horror comedies, like “Theater of blood” with Vincent Price, a perfect movie for those who like Shakespeare and black humor.

Sometimes to sell a film, publicity plays an important role of manipulation, this is what is around the movie The Exorcist. When the movie came out, it was said that people were fainting in the theater, and it was forbidden for people under 18 years old.
Not only that, but a number of accidents on set, along with the entire set being burned down, and some related deaths to cast members during and just after filming. A priest once approached one of the cast and said making a movie like this would bring the attention of the devil on them for exposing his machinations in the film. So, it's hard to say if it was all a marketing ploy, although the makers did capitalize on it to sell more tickets and gain the film more notoriety.

Not only that, but a number of accidents on set, along with the entire set being burned down, and some related deaths to cast members during and just after filming. A priest once approached one of the cast and said making a movie like this would bring the attention of the devil on them for exposing his machinations in the film. So, it's hard to say if it was all a marketing ploy, although the makers did capitalize on it to sell more tickets and gain the film more notoriety.
The most notorious example of a film with a legend of behind the scene "curse" is "The Omen" (less good than the Exorcist).

A movie I wouldn't watch again is 'Poltergeist' knowing what I know now.
This movie also was surrounded by strange accidents as the article in the link describes.

The 'Poltergeist' Curse: Inside the Mysterious Cast Deaths and Oddities On Set

And yes, I know of the stories about child abuse in hollyweird and about Spielberg and his alleged inclination for child sexual abuse.
This would even play into the movie being 'cursed'. The darker the inclination of people involved the more openings and the bigger a feast for the dark side, osit.

Polanski's film is more of a suspense film with the wonderful actor John Cassavetes. But also, a film that disturbs, that's why I take it with tongs.
Someone behind the movie, "The Astronaut's Wife," also liked, "Rosemary's Baby." It was about alien possession, and John Cassavetes' son played one of the astronauts who also brought a rider back with them from space.

99.999% of movies I've watched, I'll never watch again, and that's not limited to horror movies.
The only horror movies I'd recommend would be "Evil Dead 2", "Army of Darkness", and maybe "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil".
On the other hand, the one that should never be watched by anyone, no matter the age or horror tolerance, is "Hereditary".
One movie I saw at the cinema when it was released, because with some friends we thought "donno what the movie is about the actress is not excessively ugly" is a french movie called "Irreversible". A terrible experience from which I have to know beforehand about a movie before watching it.
There is something to the choices of movies to watch and how they my affect our psychic hygiene so one has to be careful about that.

On the other hand, the one that should never be watched by anyone, no matter the age or horror tolerance, is "Hereditary".
I must agree wholeheartedly.
My daughter somehow convinced me to watch it during one of our familiy evenings.
I knew I shouldn't and in the end I did it to please her.
Gosh, do I regret it. I even don't want to talk about it. Definitely a movie to stay away from.

Je n'aime pas les films d'horreurs, ni de violences, ni de courses poursuites...
Je ne peux pas regarder les films et les dessins animés avec des animaux...
J'aime les films romantiques, historiques, psychologiques et ceux avec des valeurs, des chevaliers nobles et généreux...
J'aime "Danse avec les loups", "Pretty Wooman", "Rencontre avec Joe Black" que je regarde chaque fois qu'ils passent à la télé...
Ce qui fait que je ne regarde pas beaucoup de films...

I don't like horror movies, violence, chases...
I can't watch films and cartoons with animals...
I like romantic, historical, psychological films and those with values, noble and generous knights...
I like "Dances with Wolves", "Pretty Wooman", "Meet Joe Black" which I watch every time they are on TV...
So I don't watch many films...

99.999% of movies I've watched, I'll never watch again, and that's not limited to horror movies.
The only horror movies I'd recommend would be "Evil Dead 2", "Army of Darkness", and maybe "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil".
One movie I saw at the cinema when it was released, because with some friends we thought "donno what the movie is about the actress is not excessively ugly" is a french movie called "Irreversible". A terrible experience from which I have to know beforehand about a movie before watching it.
There is something to the choices of movies to watch and how they my affect our psychic hygiene so one has to be careful about that.
I saw Irreversible in a theatre. About half the people left the room before the middle of the movie...

On the other hand, the one that should never be watched by anyone, no matter the age or horror tolerance, is "Hereditary"
According to the Irish Post:
Now a new study from GIGACalculator.com has confirmed that Hereditary is, scientifically speaking, the scariest film of all time. To do that, they asked 150 brave souls to watch a selection of noted horror films for the first time, while wearing a heart rate tracker to monitor their pulse

One film I watched this week I will never watch again. It's "The Hour of the Wolf", by Ingmar Bergman. Normally I enjoy his films, but this one was a queasy, nauseating exploration of a man (played excellently by the late, great Max Von Sydow) suffering a nervous breakdown and slipping into sexual neurosis. It's not a bad film, but it was just too much for me to take when I saw it.

I'm also someone who never watches modern horror films either. As others have said above, real life is disturbing enough, without looking for more in movie form.

Totally agree about Hereditary. I used to think I liked horror movies when younger, but eventually realised nah, it was a sense of supernatural mystery I was after, and most of them are just mundane, gory, horrible stuff (I should have guessed from the name of the genre really :)).. still do like Evil Dead 2 though actually! I haven't analysed why, but I feel like that one has a good heart somehow.

Anyway, Hereditary, really horrible movie and I wished I hadn't watched it. I hope this doesn't sound like a sort of reverse-recommendation (like "it's so scary, if you want to be really scared then watch it").. It wasn't about the scariness, it was that it made me feel gross and dark for days, and like that movie is trying to do something actively nasty to the viewer.

Back
Top Bottom