Bedbugs in France

mabar

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
So, what is really going on with this apparently or real plague of bedbugs at France?

It seems to me that, if it is an issue, better for the authorities to cut it quickly and not just for the incoming 2024 Olimpics.

And if is not, better to cut it out, the mass histeria would be far worse than the Coronavirus one.

Those gross creepy bugs walking in ones clothes/body is like a nightmare that no one would want to experience, they look like mini cockroaches and they bite.
It may be far worse than the Wikipedia issue.
🇫🇷 FLASH - The 150 teachers and 1,200 students of a #Paris high school refused to start the day's classes after bedbugs were discovered in the school. (Le Parisien)

Now, it won't be that use full if all students/teachers/janitors etc.. do not the same at their homes, though. The never ending story if the eggs are not distroyed, insecticides are not that efficient.
🇫🇷🪲FLASH - Bedbugs have been detected at the Lycée Elisa Lemonnier in Paris's 12th arrondissement. Treatment to eliminate them began this afternoon. Teachers have exercised their right of withdrawal (Le Parisien - France Bleu).
Punaises de lit, Lola, BV… Wikipédia, une encyclopédie idéologique
Par Clémence de Longraye - La pageWikipédia consacrée aux punaises de lit n’a cessé d’être réécrite et le possible lien avec l'immigration effacée

Bedbugs, Lola, BV… Wikipedia, an ideological encyclopediaBy Clémence de Longraye - The Wikipedia page dedicated to bedbugs has continued to be rewritten and the possible link with immigration erased

Maybe they are made by the crazy and nuts Bill Gates. Maybe they will say that these bugs bring with them mortal illness. It is strange, yes indeed. And at the same time very symbolic. Macronius being the worst bedbug possible!

Unfortunately there's a real increase of it, at least in the capital and its suburb.

Two floors above my flat, the whole level was infected and I had the opportunity to discuss about it with my neighbour, he was traumatized. Same for one of my colleague who struggled very hard to get rid of it.

Note that yesterday, another colleague of mine who live in the USA, Atlanta, said me her sister faced the problem too and was forced to completely leave her house the time for eradication. But I don't know when it's happened, if it was recently or some years back, I will ask her.

Is it due to a change in energies, a voluntary introduction from the PTB to stress a bit more French people or immigration? I don't know.

Now a lot of persons, me included, avoid to go to movie theaters. The business was already in a struggle since the Covid episode, let's hope it don't sink completely.

Note that there seems to exist, for the home, a simple an effective treatment: Diatomaceous earth. A thin layer and bugs will walk in it, absorb it and be killed by dehydration.

La députée Mathilde Panot brandit une fiole de punaises de lit à l’Assemblé

La députée Mathilde Panot brandit une fiole de punaises de lit à l’Assemblée​

la preuve par l’exemple Lors d’une question adressée à la Première ministre Élisabeth Borne au sujet des punaises de lit à l’Assemblée nationale mardi, la présidente du groupe LFI a brandi un flacon de nuisibles
Publié le 04/10/23 à 18h06

MP Mathilde Panot brandishes a vial of bedbugs in the Assemblyproof by example During a question addressed to Prime Minister Élisabeth Borne on the subject of bedbugs in the National Assembly on Tuesday, the president of the LFI group brandished a bottle of pestsPublished on 04/10/23 at 6:06 p.m.

That’s a secret nightmare of mine actually. I’ll try to keep my apartment secured against it, here in Florida after I found a single one in my mattress (and I looked all areas), even though I’m not allergic to it and basically they don’t present a real harm to humans (if you are not allergic), I had to take actions, I really hate the idea of getting a bite from it while I sleep, I purchased a cover anti-bed bugs for my mattress (it’s the first thing to do as a prevention) then vacuumed every day for a week, after that I do it 2 times a week, I used bicarbonate on my carped then vacuum it, then got an anti bed bug spray from Amazon and sprayed the base of the bed and furniture, also windows and doors and even around electrical a outlets.
So far haven’t had any other signal of it for now, but they can appear again. They also hates the smell of lime, if you have lime you can get some lime juice in a a bottle spray and spray a bit in some areas, also, I do wash the sheets with a special anti bed bug laundry soap.
Dunno if I’ve obsessed a little about it but I try to keep my apartment free of any type of bugs. On top of that, here in Florida is easy to get reaches, I got a little ultrasound device that connects on outlets and it helped a lot.

This is a nightmare. And maybe they will say it is the climate change that is responsible for these bedbugs. I remember when I was in Senegal I sleep in a bed with bedbugs. It was horrible. I think in French it is called "punaises". I was sick at the time and incapable to move from the bed. Maybe it is a plague, It happens from time to time, plagues of locusts, for example, that destroy everything. So it could be a plague of bedbugs, but unlike grasshoppers, bedbugs suck blood, are little vampires and are really awful. But they told me that when a bed have bedbugs, the only solution is to put fire on the bed.

Who are these little vampires? From wikipedia:

Bed bugs are insects from the genus Cimex that feed on blood, usually at night.[7] Their bites can result in a number of health impacts including skin rashes, psychological effects, and allergic symptoms.[5] Bed bug bites may lead to skin changes ranging from small areas of redness to prominent blisters.[1][2] Symptoms may take between minutes to days to appear and itchiness is generally present.[2] Some individuals may feel tired or have a fever.[2] Typically, uncovered areas of the body are affected.[2] Their bites are not known to transmit any infectious disease.[5][7][8] Complications may rarely include areas of dead skin or vasculitis.[2]

Bed bug bites are caused primarily by two species of insects: Cimex lectularius (the common bed bug) and Cimex hemipterus, found primarily in the tropics.[3] Their size ranges between 1 and 7 mm.[7] They spread by crawling between nearby locations or by being carried within personal items.[2] Infestation is rarely due to a lack of hygiene but is more common in high-density areas.[2][9] Diagnosis involves both finding the bugs and the occurrence of compatible symptoms.[5] Bed bugs spend much of their time in dark, hidden locations like mattress seams, or cracks in a wall.[2]

Treatment is directed towards the symptoms.[2] Eliminating bed bugs from the home is often difficult, partly because bed bugs can survive up to approximately 300 days without feeding.[6][8] Repeated treatments of a home may be required.[2] These treatments may include heating the room to 50 °C (122 °F) for more than 90 minutes, frequent vacuuming, washing clothing at high temperatures, and the use of various pesticides.[2]

Bed bugs occur in all regions of the globe.[7] Infestations are relatively common, following an increase since the 1990s.[3][4][6] The exact causes of this increase are unclear; theories include increased human travel, more frequent exchange of second-hand furnishings, a greater focus on control of other pests, and increasing resistance to pesticides.[4] Fossils found in Egypt show bed bugs have been known as human parasites for at least 3,500 years.[10]

thanks for the link

Ellipse

Diatomaceous earth.
Unfortunately there's a real increase of it, at least in the capital and its suburb.

Two floors above my flat, the whole level was infected and I had the opportunity to discuss about it with my neighbour, he was traumatized. Same for one of my colleague who struggled very hard to get rid of it.

Note that yesterday, another colleague of mine who live in the USA, Atlanta, said me her sister faced the problem too and was forced to completely leave her house the time for eradication. But I don't know when it's happened, if it was recently or some years back, I will ask her.

Is it due to a change in energies, a voluntary introduction from the PTB to stress a bit more French people or immigration? I don't know.

Now a lot of persons, me included, avoid to go to movie theaters. The business was already in a struggle since the Covid episode, let's hope it don't sink completely.

Note that there seems to exist, for the home, a simple an effective treatment: Diatomaceous earth. A thin layer and bugs will walk in it, absorb it and be killed by dehydration.

Diatomaceous earth​

it is of value as an insecticide because of its abrasive and physico-sorptive properties.[22] The fine powder adsorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of the exoskeletons of many species of insects; this layer acts as a barrier that resists the loss of water vapour from the insect's body. Damaging the layer increases the evaporation of water from their bodies, so that they dehydrate, often fatally.

Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's laws of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. Diatomaceous earth is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness.

The shape of the diatoms contained in a deposit has not been proven to affect their functionality when it comes to the adsorption of lipids; however, certain applications, such as that for slugs and snails, do work best when a particularly shaped diatom is used, suggesting that lipid adsorption is not the only factor involved. For example, in the case of slugs and snails, large, spiny diatoms work best to lacerate the epithelium of the mollusk. Diatom shells will work to some degree on the vast majority of animals that undergo ecdysis in shedding cuticle, such as arthropods or nematodes. It also may have other effects on lophotrochozoans, such as mollusks or annelids.

I'm really trying not to but... are they bedbugs or bad bugs? Failed to stop myself.
More seriously, it would be interesting to know if it's really that unprecedented or if it's blown out of proportion by the media. Maybe there have been outbreaks in the past, there or elsewhere, people dealt with it and it's ancient history.
When I was a kid, we had an outbreak of head lice and it transmitted like wild fire through kids at school. After we shaved our heads and looked funny, it went away and everybody forgot about it. I also imagine that people in Australia must have a laugh at this as everything tries to kill you there (or so they say).

I'm really trying not to but... are they bedbugs or bad bugs? Failed to stop myself.
More seriously, it would be interesting to know if it's really that unprecedented or if it's blown out of proportion by the media. Maybe there have been outbreaks in the past, there or elsewhere, people dealt with it and it's ancient history.
When I was a kid, we had an outbreak of head lice and it transmitted like wild fire through kids at school. After we shaved our heads and looked funny, it went away and everybody forgot about it. I also imagine that people in Australia must have a laugh at this as everything tries to kill you there (or so they say).
I can imagine is not unprecedented, in such a large city I am sure they deal with pests quite a lot. Someone must be making fortune.

It's like rats or roaches in NYC, they will just be around. It is interesting, from a symbolic point of view though, that a bloodsucking parasite has taken residence is the city of love, the heart of France, specially considering who they're in bed with. The association people make with bedbugs, fleas and roaches seems to be the same.. it's a household that doesn't clean, isn't in order and as such it calls in infestations, it's a house in disarray.

So, it may be one of the plagues of the times, completely unrelated but, I also just learned of an epidemic of conjunctivitis in Pakistan,

from a symbolic point of view though, that a bloodsucking parasite has taken residence is the city of love, the heart of France, specially considering who they're in bed with
Incidentally, and slightly unrelated, I was discussing today how Italy, which was known for its strong family-centered culture, is facing a demographic problem, where people aren't having families (and children) anymore. The problem has been known for a while concerning Japan but other nations are following the same trends. It's as if human vitality is exhausted, and nature itself is withering little by little. In such a wasteland, plagues and vermin are a natural manifestation of decay so to speak.

Incidentally, and slightly unrelated, I was discussing today how Italy, which was known for its strong family-centered culture, is facing a demographic problem, where people aren't having families (and children) anymore.
Could this also be related to the effects of the Wave?
Q: (L) Well, sexual energy "redirected"; does this mean women will stop having sex with men?
A: Not exactly.

Q: (L) Am I close?
A: Yes. Men will lose most of their drive in favor of more spiritual pursuits. It is the sex drive that is at the root of most of the historical aggression and lack of feeling on the part of the male.

Q: (L) Can we tell others?
A: Might cause turmoil but up to you.

Q: (L) I noticed that at about the same time I began meditating heavily that my drive plummeted. Is this because of the meditation?
A: Yes. Females will lose some drive too. But how will humans react to this, that is the question. Will they be prepared?

Q: (L) Does this mean that everybody is going to lose interest in sex?
A: Will have much less and must learn to relate to each other more spiritually.
Big turmoil ahead as parasitic infestation reaches 'unbearable' levels...
Bed bugs kickstarting a human revolution? :lol:

Well, this bedbug problem has arrived to Mexico City, more specifically at the UNAM (university) and, a home remedy based on pennyroyal has become popular at social media. From what I could investigate, it works to repel and eliminate bed bugs.

Video in Spanish.
The #UNAM informed that fumigation efforts against #bugs will be extended to all its campuses and academic units.

Although some students claim that these insects are present in the university, so far no one has seen anything.

The worst part of the case is that the death of other species has been detected as a result of the fumigations.

Bedbug remedy goes viral in networks, does it work? - Spanish

What is pennyroyal and what is it used for
The National Forestry Commission (CONAFOR) defines pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium) or pennyroyal mint as a herbaceous plant cultivated in Mexico and native to Europe and Asia. It belongs to the Lamiaceae or Labiatae family and can reach up to 60 cm in height.

The Dr. Antoni Esteve Foundation explains that the active principles of the essential oil (0.5%-3%) of the plant contain menthol and a terpenic ketone, pulegone (70%-80%); in smaller quantities it contains menthone, isomentone, piperitone, 3-octanol and trans-isopulegone. Consequently, it is ideal for digestive disorders, respiratory problems and as a purgative.
The institution also reports that in tropical areas it is used as a refrigerant, antiseptic, antifungal, insect repellent and as a treatment for skin rashes.

However, the MedlinePlus website warns that there is not enough scientific evidence to support its uses.
Remedy against bedbugs goes viral in networks, does it work?
Thanks to the fact that one of its main active components is pulegone, pennyroyal does work as an agent to repel and eliminate bedbugs.

Pulegone is a natural bioactive organic compound, which is widely used to repel bed bugs. In addition, its main components also act as fumigants against other insects. For example, pennyroyal is an aromatic plant, and is characterized by its strong odor, which is unbearable to bed bugs.

You can find the plant in the market (in stalls where herbs are sold), or in botanical stores. To prepare the infusion, it is recommended to boil 30 grams of the plant in a liter of water, let it steep and then pour the liquid into a spray bottle. Then, spray it on your bed, clothes, pillows, sheets and furniture. In short, everywhere where you think there are bedbugs.

After a while, wash your things as you normally would. This procedure should be repeated without fail 15 to 20 days later, since the liquid from the plant does NOT affect the eggs.

Caution
CONAFUR explains that it is a slightly toxic plant; in essential oil (high doses), it can be toxic and deadly for pregnant women, children and people with liver problems. On the contrary, in the case of infusion it is not harmful because it is not concentrated. However, for your "michi" it can be harmful. Therefore, consult your veterinarian if you have pets.

Found this article quite lovely, by the way.
Pennyroyal: A Minty, Bug-Repelling Herb
1696568220905.png
This type of mint isn’t in fashion now, but it was once used as a answer to an array of ailments from constipation to snake bites. Here, a bit about pennyroyal, a culinary herb, fragrance, and flea repellent.
Mint is one of my favorite flavors of ice cream. I’m also a fan of mint tea. This herb I’m especially fond of is used in a wide range of dishes, from curries to pasta and jellies to juleps. For Roman diners, the variety was similar: mint was added to salads, vegetable dishes like Alexandrian gourd, and sauces for boar, venison, wild sheep, hare, and pork.
All two dozen or so types of mint — spearmint, peppermint, apple mint, corn mint, and more — are grouped in one genus. Mint is part of a star-studded family, Lamiaceae, that includes loads of other aromatic herbs. Some are cooked with nowadays — basil, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, sage, savory, oregano — while others are mostly medicinal — lavender, catnip, and bee balm.

But one species of mint has been mostly lost to time: pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium). Native to southern Europe, western Asia, and northeastern Africa, it looks like its minty kin, growing 1-2 feet tall, with dimpled leaves and roundish pink flowers on straight stalks.
Largely obsolete today, pennyroyal only shows up in (to my knowledge) nine recipes in the whole of Apicius, a huge ancient cookbook. This might seem surprising, but even though it didn’t often make its way into Roman dishes, pennyroyal still found a place among the food.
Ovid, who lived around the end of the first century BC, wrote a notable fable about the importance of hospitality. Philemon, a Phrygian peasant, and his wife Baucis are the only in their town to welcome a pair of guests into their home. These strangers turn out to be Zeus and Hermes, disguised as farmers, who came to earth to test people’s faith. The whole region subsequently flooded, and the gods saved the two good hosts for their generosity and piety.
As they set the table for their unexpected guests, Philemon and Baucis decorated it with mint. Not only was this choice made because mint was held as a symbol of hospitality, but also because it smelled good. In addition to sitting on tables, mint was strewn on the dirt floors of homes and hung on the walls in antiquity to act as a natural air freshener.
Pennyroyal, being a type of mint, was thought to be wonderfully fragrant. Its aroma was one Pliny the Elder found invigorating:

It is for this reason that Varro has declared that a wreath of pennyroyal is more worthy to grace our chambers than a chaplet of roses…
The scent of pennyroyal was used as a deodorizer, as we can see, but Pliny also writes it could fend off the “injurious effects of cold or heat.” Like most herbs, pennyroyal was used as medicine. Pliny notes that it could cure twenty-five ailments, with wild varieties having seventeen more applications. Quite a lot!
The pennyroyal balms in Pliny’s Naturalis historia (Natural History) are mostly decoctions of the herb with other things. With wine, pennyroyal can act as a diuretic or can be applied to scorpion stings. Mixed with vinegar and polenta, it cures constipation, vomiting, and different pains when applied topically, and with water it stops nausea, chest pain, and stomach aches.

I’ve read that the internal use of pennyroyal can actually be risky — when ingested, it’s toxic and can cause liver trouble. Maybe some of those remedies aren’t such a good idea! But one application of pennyroyal, not a corporal one, is probably the most important and gives the herb its name – flea repellent.

The Latin word for the herb, pulegium, is believed to have come from pulex, meaning “flea.” Transferred into Anglo-Norman, pulegium became puliol, but real — “royal” — was tacked onto the end. Because of natural evolution and folk etymology (one foreign word being switched with a more familiar one), puliol real became “pennyroyal.” We’re able to see that our current word, broken down, basically means “royal pennyroyal.” Who knew?
As I’ve only encountered pennyroyal in one recipe so far, an herb spread called moretum, I haven’t made a regular formula for substitution. In that recipe, though, I just used regular spearmint.

Something to note is that Columella, the recipe’s author, had both mint and pennyroyal on his list. I’m not totally sure how their flavor profiles compare, but it seems like there was enough of a difference that distinguishing between them was necessary.

I’m hoping to get some pennyroyal going this spring so I can find out for myself. And should I ever find I have an especially bad flea infestation or need a posy to put on a table, I’ll know just what to try!

There is also esencial oil that can come in handy, surely it can be found in several brands.
Repel Bugs with Pennyroyal Essential Oil
Pennyroyal
Mentha pulegium is steam distilled to produce this fresh and minty-herbaceous oil. This middle note oil blends well with Citronella, Geranium, Lavender, Rosemary, and Sage.

A little goes a long way… That’s something to keep in mind when using Pennyroyal as it’s an extremely potent oil that must be used (and enjoyed) with caution. Add a drop to homemade insect repellent as it’s toxic to them and will help keep them away or even kill them. Citronella is another oil that’s beneficial in deterring bugs, so be sure to add it as well. Pennyroyal can also be used in a diffuser to act as a lung decongestant and ease anxious feelings. Combine with Lavender for extra soothing power.

it would be interesting to know if it's really that unprecedented or if it's blown out of proportion by the media. Maybe there have been outbreaks in the past, there or elsewhere, people dealt with it and it's ancient history.
Bedbugs are an episodic problem in France since one or two decades AFAIK, even in the countryside like in mountain shelters. No big deal until recently.
I guess it's nowadays reaching more people in cities and it's anyway a good opportunity for the media to add a buzz, some more fuel on fear, anxiety and... you name it

Big turmoil ahead as parasitic infestation reaches 'unbearable' levels...
Bed bugs kickstarting a human revolution? :lol:
Decreased libido in humans doesn't seem to be on the agenda for bed bugs!!!!

Summary :
"The bedbug reproduces very quickly: this is due in part to its overflowing sexuality... but also to its very particular nature! Here's an overview of their mating habits.
BED BUG SEXUALITY
Bed bugs are sexually active! Very sexually active! They're always thinking about copulating, and they're always having sex. Untiring? Some have up to 200 sexual encounters a day! This priapism justifies the rapid spread of the bed bug and its short life cycle.
In any case, the bed bug tries to have intercourse with all the insects that accompany it. Since it doesn't go into details, it's estimated that
20% of encounters are with other insects, 50% of encounters are homosexual. Only 30% of couplings are male-female! And what's more, it's not happy...
THE VIOLENCE OF THE BEDBUG
Not only does the male bedbug have a very sharp sex drive, but he also uses it in all sorts of ways: he pierces shells all over the place! Head, belly, back, legs: the male injects his semen anywhere. Obviously, all this is not without consequences...
Over the course of evolution, females have developed multiple sexes. As a result, some bugs have sex-like spots all over their bodies. These are receptacles connected to the main sex! If the male places his sperm in one of them, the spermatozoa will travel via "channels" to the female's sex. But what if there are no secondary sexes?
VIRGIN BUG PREGNANT
It's possible for a bedbug to be a virgin: its vagina may be intact but, after the male has deposited his sperm elsewhere in the body, the sperm survive in the blood and eventually reach the ovaries.
Obviously, sperm mortality is high. The male releases an enormous quantity of sperm! Proportionally, that's 30 liters of sperm for one human!
HOMOSEXUAL BEDBUG RELATIONS
Since 50% of relationships are homosexual, nature has decided not to leave them useless. If a male deposits sperm during a relationship with another male, the sperm will travel and mix with the native sperm. They will then be transmitted to a female during a future mating!
What's more, some bugs have begun to mutate and become hermaphrodites! Males have vaginas, even if they are not (yet?) fertile. But the male has another special feature: a hot sex! Some bugs, particularly in the tropics, are able to "shoot" their sperm and thus fertilize females from a distance."

Back
Top Bottom