Beauty Chemical Replacements

lilyalic

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Just starting a thread in regards to what healthier ways we can moisturize, wash our hair, brush our teeth, wash our bodies etcetc.
All the information seems to be scattered around on the forum, so I'll try and put some together.

Face

Most forum members see lard and olive oil with essential oils to be the greatest kind of moisturizers, and of course coconut oil. Itellsya informed me that coconut oil can be known to clog the pores, I did a little research and that IS the case for some but not for others.

Does Coconut Oil Clog Pores?
Coconut oil seems to block some people’s pores but not others. Why? Coconut oil is considered to be fairly comedogenic. A comodegenic substance is one that is likely to block pores of susceptible people. Comodegens aren’t guaranteed to block or clog pores, but they could. On a scale of four where four is “most comodegenic”, coconut oil rates as about a two. However:

Whether a person is susceptible to getting clogged pores boils down to their skin type. First of all, pores are clogged when debris like dead skin cells, natural skin oil and bacteria get blocked in, resulting in a blackhead or whitehead. Large pores are easier to clog than small ones: If you have large pores and tend to get blackheads, then yes, coconut oil might clog your pores if you use it as a face moisturizer — especially if you don’t exfoliate first.

You can tell you have large pores if you have oily skin. Small pores, on the other hand, are too narrow to secrete enough of the skin’s natural oil and often mean dry skin. For that matter, small pores aren’t big enough to hold much debris at all, and therefore don’t have much to clog in the first place. People with small pores and non-sensitive skin will likely have better success with coconut oil.
:http://coconut-oil-tips.com/beauty/does-coconut-oil-clog-pores/

Eyes

I found a website which had a few natural ways to replace the nasty chemicals in makeup, I made the mascara which is awesome, and it comes off straight away with just your fingers! :http://ditchthewheat.com/all-natural-homemade-mascara-and-other-homemade-beauty-products/

Ingredients
2 tsp coconut oil
4 tsp aloe vera gel
1 tsp grated beeswax (grate then measure)
1 – 2 capsules of activated charcoal (for black)* OR ½ tsp cocoa powder (for Brown)

Instructions

Put coconut oil, aloe vera gel, and grated bees wax in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until beeswax is completely melted.
For Black Mascara: Open 1 – 2 capsules of activated charcoal (depending on desired color, about 1/4 – 1/2 tsp) and pour into oil mixture. Stir until completely incorporated. Remove from heat. For Brown Mascara: Mix in Cocoa Powder.
Pour into a small plastic bag, pushing the mixture down to one corner. Then cut a very small hole in the opposite corner of the bag.
Fold the corner with the cut whole until you have a small tip that you can push into the empty and clean mascara container. (It’s much easier if you have an extra set of hands nearby to hold the tube in place!) Make sure the tip goes far enough into the tube or you’ll have a big mess on your hands! (You can also use a syringe for an ever easier experience).
Keep the small-hole-end securely in the tube (or get your helper to hold it in place). Begin pressing the mascara mixture toward the tube. Don’t move too quickly or it will come out and you’ll have mess to deal with. (I highly recommend doing this with a paper towel or napkin underneath.) Keep moving the mixture into the tube until it’s all in.
Place the inner cap in place and then twist the wand on tightly.

I've used cacao powder for eye shadow or a kind-of blush, but it easily goes clumpy or whatever when your face has just been moisturized, so I'm not sure how that would work for others.

Hair

Baking Soda & Apple Cider Vinegar are real good ones, especially when you get Bob Red Mill's baking soda. Only thing is, your hair gets used to whatever you try and use..

Dissolve about 1 tablespoon of baking soda in just enough water to make a paste. Apply this to your roots only; work it in and let it sit for a minute.

In order to stimulate blood flow, clean your pores and get off built up grime, use your finger tips to scrub your scalp. Start by making a circle on the top of your head in the area you’d wear a crown. Focus on the back of this circle to begin with. Next, fill in the circle. This is where your part will be; grease here affects the way your hair looks. Trace while still scrubbing with your fingertips around the bottom edge of the circle. Keep making scrubbing circles underneath each one, drawing lines in circles around your head.
Lastly, scrub the back of your skull and your temples/sideburns. This will result in less grease and more growth. After doing this, your scalp will feel alive. Many women swear their hair grows faster after a visit to the salon — it does, and this massage method is why.

Next, pour about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into a cup and add water. (I keep two plastic 12-ounce cups in my shower and just mix when I get in.) After you rinse the baking soda out, pour the apple cider vinegar over the ends of your hair, let it sit for a minute and then rinse it out. That’s all there is to it!

I then tried Cacao powder & Lemon juice, which is good but the real problem is measuring them out at different quantities and either over doing it or under doing it

Eggs

Aloe Vera gel & Coconut milk

Ingredients

1 can of Coconut Milk (or about 1 1/2 cups if you like to make it yourself.) (like this)
1 3/4 cups pure aloe vera gel (like this)
Optional: Essential oils (learn how to get my favorite essential oils at wholesale prices here.)

Directions

1. Mix both ingredients in a bowl using a wire whisk to fully incorporate.

2. Pour mixture into ice cube trays. (I used two full trays.)

3. Put in freezer and wait a few hours until frozen completely. At this point you can transfer them to some sort of bag or container, or just keep them in the trays.

To use: Take one cube out before you want to use it (at least the night before) and keep it in a small container or bowl in the fridge until you are ready to shower. Use as you would normal shampoo (about a quarter size amount).

Work into the scalp and then move toward the ends of your hair. Let sit for 30 seconds or so and then rinse completely. This will not lather… so don’t keep adding more thinking it will get your hair “more clean.” Like all good things in life, a little goes a long way. I would also HIGHLY recommend using an apple cider vinegar rinse, especially if you experience that ‘waxy’ feeling after using this.

Place any remaining mixture back in the fridge to use next time you wash your hair. The shelf life of each cube is about 1 week in the fridge. Just be sure to take a new cube out when you use up the other one.
:http://www.thankyourbody.com/ph-balanced-shampoo-recipe/

Soap Nuts - these are really good for washing your clothes also!!

Soak a handful of soap nuts (about 8-10 for medium-length hair) in about 300 ml of water overnight.

Next morning, squeeze and pulp the softened soap-nuts with your fingers. Discard the seeds.

Use the resulting liquid just as you would use a shampoo, only more liberally.

Use a natural conditioner if you find your hair too dry. You can use a beaten egg (leave it on for a few minutes,once you are ready in the shower), or coconut oil (applied and massaged into the hair 30 minutes in advance) before using the soap-nut solution.

Apply, leave it on for 2 minutes, and wash off.
It's okay if some of the pulp gets into your hair - it'll all wash off. It will leave only a fresh clean feeling and a faint whiff of leaves.

Most of these needs some kind of acidic component to balance out the pH level in our hair.

Teeth

I've been using this recipe:

Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Peppermint Oil
Bicarbonate of Soda
Calcium Carbonate
Xylitol
Salt

That seems to work great, but sometimes I get lazy and only use bicarb (which leaves the toothbrush smelling foul)

Basic ingredients:
1/4 cup raw coconut oil – antibacterial properties
1-2 tablespoons baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) – used as an abrasive, deodorizer, and tooth whitener

Mix together to the desired consistency.

Use any of the following ingredients as variants:
Abrasives: salt, pumice, kaolin, bentonite, calcium carbonate (chalk), sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)

Antimicrobials: Antimicrobials prevent the development of bacteria, some viruses, and fungi. Use oils of basil, cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, lemon, oregano, peppermint, tee tree, thyme, or grapefruit seed extract.

Peppermint also inhibits biofilm (plaque) formation.

Cinnamon essential oil has antiseptic properties but may irritate mucous membranes for some

Grapefruit seed extract is a broad spectrum natural antibiotic with antioxidant properties. It can also act as a natural preservative.

Sweetener (for fussy children): Stevia powder or liquid

Preservatives: Coconut has antibacterial properties, but to further ensure that your product won’t spoil, add a few drops of one or more of these antibacterial essential oils – sanguinarea extract (1), myrrh extract (an antioxidant with antibacterial and astringent properties), lavender, grapefruit seed extract, lemon, oregano, or tea tree.
:http://paleoleap.com/brush-your-teeth-the-paleo-way/

I know my friend uses Kingfisher Baking Soda (Flouride free) toothpaste, I've used it a few times and it's really good! Especially if you like the whole lathering process and want a minty fresh after taste

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingfisher-Toothpaste-Baking-Fluoride-100ml/dp/B002E2N8YC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423663174&sr=8-2&keywords=kingfisher+baking+soda)

Ingredients

Glycerin (Vegetable)
Sodium Bicarbonate
Aqua
Calcium Carbonate (Chalk)
Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosnate (Palm oil)
Cellulose Gum (Plant fibre)
Mentha Piperita & Limonene (Peppermint)
Mentha Viiridis (Spearmint)

Washing the body

The toothpaste kind of recipes work well for scrubbing those parts that sweat! Coconut oil and bicarb tend to be pretty good for cleaning. I'm not too fond of all the soaps like Castille and Soap nuts, they tend to make the skin pretty dry. I'm sure if you made a kind-of coconut milk/ aloe vera/ soap nut recipe that would work well. But as for most of us being allergic to coconut milk, I'm not entirely sure it'd be the best to start rubbing it on your skin :lol:

I'm guessing most of you guys have your own little nacks on 'beauty regimes', and I'd love to hear about them!

Coconut oil is also good for hair styling. It holds your hair however you like it (at least it does mine) yet it doesn't harden like gels or pomade. It's the only thing I use for hair.

Heimdallr said:
Coconut oil is also good for hair styling. It holds your hair however you like it (at least it does mine) yet it doesn't harden like gels or pomade. It's the only thing I use for hair.

Yeah it works pretty well for males, especially making a pomade from beeswax and coconut oil, but putting coconut oil directly into long hair just makes it look greasy! You guys can easily get away with not washing your hair at all!

lilyalic said:
Heimdallr said:

Yeah it works pretty well for males, especially making a pomade from beeswax and coconut oil, but putting coconut oil directly into long hair just makes it look greasy! You guys can easily get away with not washing your hair at all!

That's true, it's probably a lot easier to use on shorter hair. For peeps with long hair, probably using baking soda and ACV is a better option.

Thanks for collecting this material, lilyalic.

I've switched from using any kind of store bought deodorant to switching between diluted lemon juice and sodium bicarbonate. The lemon juice is very acidic and the bicarb very basic, so both do a good job of killing off bacteria and keeping the area odour-free.

The problem is that the diluted lemon juice only works for a limited time. If you're creating an acidic environment, the bacteria that can survive that environment start to multiply until you eventually end up with an odour again. Usually takes about a week, and at this point, I switch to bicarbonate, which kills off all the acid-dwelling bacteria.

The problem with using straight bicarbonate is that it can cause irritation. I find I can avoid this by only putting on a very light dusting (which is still remarkably effective), but I can still end up with irritation from time to time. If and when this occurs, I switch to the diluted lemon juice.

Overall I prefer the bicarbonate and only really switch to the lemon juice if the armpits start to get irritated. As long as no irritation occurs I can keep using it indefinitely. I was actually quite shocked at how effective both of these natural deodorants are. Much more so than anything I've ever bought from the store - natural or conventional. And they're cheap!

dugdeep said:

I've switched from using any kind of store bought deodorant to switching between diluted lemon juice and sodium bicarbonate. The lemon juice is very acidic and the bicarb very basic, so both do a good job of killing off bacteria and keeping the area odour-free.

The problem is that the diluted lemon juice only works for a limited time. If you're creating an acidic environment, the bacteria that can survive that environment start to multiply until you eventually end up with an odour again. Usually takes about a week, and at this point, I switch to bicarbonate, which kills off all the acid-dwelling bacteria.

The problem with using straight bicarbonate is that it can cause irritation. I find I can avoid this by only putting on a very light dusting (which is still remarkably effective), but I can still end up with irritation from time to time. If and when this occurs, I switch to the diluted lemon juice.

Overall I prefer the bicarbonate and only really switch to the lemon juice if the armpits start to get irritated. As long as no irritation occurs I can keep using it indefinitely. I was actually quite shocked at how effective both of these natural deodorants are. Much more so than anything I've ever bought from the store - natural or conventional. And they're cheap!

Yeah using bicarbonate alone tends to irritate me too, one of my friends used to use coconut oil with bicarb as a deodorant and he said it worked great for him, not sure how great that would be in preventing odor.

There's also this natural deodorant called "Salt of the Earth"

It's real cheap from the UK amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salt-Of-the-Earth-Deodorant/dp/B001F4BROS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423672749&sr=8-3&keywords=natural+deodorant

Seems a little more expensive in the US
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=salt+of+the+earth+deodrant&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asalt+of+the+earth+deodrant

and crystal body deodorant - ammonium allum; natural mineral salts
http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Body-Deodorant-Stick-4-25-oz/dp/B000L978FU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423672906&sr=8-1&keywords=pit+rock+deodorant

Ingredients: Potassium Alum (a natural mineral salt)

Hi! Nice topic Lilyalic.

At different times I've used the juice of beets as a little blush and lip tint. Works well.

:-[

I agree, nice topic! I thought I would add this little article about baking soda:

health-benefits-of-sodium-bicarbonatebaking-soda

8 Health Benefits of Baking Soda

1. Treat Colds and the Flu
In 1918, the Spanish flu was sweeping the country. This deadly strain of the flu ended up killing an incredible 50 to 100 million people worldwide, 3-6% of the world’s population at that time. And yet doctors eventually figured out that there was a fairly effective way to prevent the flu, or cure it in its early stages. The answer lied with baking soda.
A prominent physician named Dr. Volney S. Cheney discovered that very few people who took baking soda contracted the disease at the time, and those who did contract it had very mild attacks.

So, what’s the recommended dose if you want to use baking soda to treat a cold or flu?
Day 1: Take 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water, every 2 hours – 6 dosages total.
Day 2: Take 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water, every 2 hours – 4 dosages total.
Day 3: Take 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water, once in the morning and in the evening – 2 dosages total.
Day 4+: Take 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water, once each morning until cold is cured.

2. Eliminate Stinky Breath
Baking soda works wonders eliminating bad odors. And, that includes bad breath.
Simply mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide, to gargle.

3. Treat Bladder Infections
Bacteria love slightly acidic environments, which is why so many people get bladder infections. The environment in the bladder is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria.
You can effectively treat bladder infections by mixing baking soda and water, and drinking it daily until the infection is gone. Dosages vary, so you might want to start with half a teaspoon of baking soda in one cup of water.

4. Soothe Sunburns and Other Skin Irritations
Baking soda is wonderfully soothing for sunburns, bites, and other skin irritations. Simply mix baking soda with a bit of water until it forms a paste, and then dab it on the affected area. For sunburns, add plenty of baking soda to your bath water for a soothing soak.

5. Deodorize Stinky Feet
Soaking stinky feet in a bowl of baking soda and water will neutralize bacterial acid, and eliminate the stink.

6. Protect Your Tooth Enamel
Some foods, like lemon juice, eat away at your tooth enamel. To protect your enamel, mix baking soda with water and gargle several times a day. Alternatively, brushing your teeth with baking soda toothpaste will protect your enamel as well.

7. Ease a Sore Throat
Gargling with a mixture of baking soda and water can help ease your sore throat because the remedy eliminates pain-causing acids. Gargle every four hours for best results.

8. Baking soda treatment for cancer ~
Baking Soda is a powerful anti-fungal and is often used in medical facilities to treat urinary tract (fungal) infections. In 1983, an Italian oncologist dr. Tullio Simoncini began treating his cancer patients with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). What he discovered was that when the 5% sodium bicarbonate solution was washed over the tumors, within weeks the tumors disappeared. The patients with intestinal cancers – from the throat cancer to the stomach cancer and colon cancer could take it orally, but a catheter was needed to flush the tumor sites in other parts of the body.

The Tullio Simoncini treatment is explained in his book and it should not be used for more than three weeks at a time. During the first week no more than two TEAspoons of baking soda a day should be taken orally. During the second and third week no more than one TEAspoon a day of baking soda should be taken orally. For skin cancers and other external cancers, inlcuding a rectal enema, where the baking soda solution comes into direct contact with the cancer, this restrictions do not apply. Ofcourse this therapy, like any other therapy, should only be undergone under the care of a medical practitioner.

Important Warning!
Do not use baking soda which has had aluminum added to it,buy a product which specifically states it does not include aluminum or other chemicals. Also, don’t confuse baking POWDER with baking SODA

I would advise against taking baking soda if you have any indigestion issues like low stomach acid or acid reflux. Your food needs to be sterilized by acid, and cannot if that acid is neutralized with baking soda.

lilyalic, I avoid the stinky toothbrush problem by giving it a spritz with hydrogen peroxide (5%) after washing it out.
I also spritz the toothpaste with it before brushing. Foams beautifully.

monotonic said:
I would advise against taking baking soda if you have any indigestion issues like low stomach acid or acid reflux. Your food needs to be sterilized by acid, and cannot if that acid is neutralized with baking soda.
I didn't know that, thanks for the info!

Lilyalic said:
dugdeep said:

Yeah using bicarbonate alone tends to irritate me too, one of my friends used to use coconut oil with bicarb as a deodorant and he said it worked great for him, not sure how great that would be in preventing odor.

There's also this natural deodorant called "Salt of the Earth"

It's real cheap from the UK amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salt-Of-the-Earth-Deodorant/dp/B001F4BROS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423672749&sr=8-3&keywords=natural+deodorant

Seems a little more expensive in the US
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=salt+of+the+earth+deodrant&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asalt+of+the+earth+deodrant

and crystal body deodorant - ammonium allum; natural mineral salts
http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Body-Deodorant-Stick-4-25-oz/dp/B000L978FU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423672906&sr=8-1&keywords=pit+rock+deodorant

Ingredients: Potassium Alum (a natural mineral salt)

I started using coconut oil as a deodorant about a year ago. No irritation and it keeps odor at bay with its antibacterial properties.

Love this topic! I make my own health and beauty treatments and skin has never been better. So important to avoid chemicals!

Baking soda is fabulous. And inexpensive. I use it with peroxide on my teeth. Under the area rug, to scrub some surfaces.... Replaced the flour canister with baking soda!

I have used as an antacid... :/. Not so good?

Another item that can be added to many beauty applications (toothpaste, baths, masks, poultices, or a deodorant) is bentonite clay or montmorillonite clay. I've used a mix of 3 equal parts sea salt, baking soda, and clay as a toothpaste/powder. It's not the most lovely tasting but really does the trick. As a deodorant/antiperspirant the clay offers incredible absorption properties. Currently I purchase stick deodorant called Clay Dry by Adama Minerals out of convenience, and it smells really good.

The versatility of clay for its health / detoxifying uses makes for something I think that should always be stocked.

http://www.adamaminerals.com/
http://www.eytonsearth.org/ A good source of clay
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montmorillonite

MusicMan said:
lilyalic, I avoid the stinky toothbrush problem by giving it a spritz with hydrogen peroxide (5%) after washing it out.
I also spritz the toothpaste with it before brushing. Foams beautifully.

Thank you MusicMan, I'll definitely be trying that!

lainey said:
monotonic said:
I didn't know that, thanks for the info!

I was totally unaware of this also! Thank you!
Jodi said:
Love this topic! I make my own health and beauty treatments and skin has never been better. So important to avoid chemicals!

Baking soda is fabulous. And inexpensive. I use it with peroxide on my teeth. Under the area rug, to scrub some surfaces.... Replaced the flour canister with baking soda!

I have used as an antacid... :/. Not so good?

Baking soda is really good for cleaning :D I tend to use Bicarb of soda for teeth, not sure on the difference there.
Katie Jo said:
Another item that can be added to many beauty applications (toothpaste, baths, masks, poultices, or a deodorant) is bentonite clay or montmorillonite clay. I've used a mix of 3 equal parts sea salt, baking soda, and clay as a toothpaste/powder. It's not the most lovely tasting but really does the trick. As a deodorant/antiperspirant the clay offers incredible absorption properties. Currently I purchase stick deodorant called Clay Dry by Adama Minerals out of convenience, and it smells really good.

The versatility of clay for its health / detoxifying uses makes for something I think that should always be stocked.

http://www.adamaminerals.com/
http://www.eytonsearth.org/ A good source of clay
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montmorillonite

I've found out a lot about clay recently :lol: I now use the Rhassoul (Ghassoul) Clay to clean my hair, and seriously guys this is amazing stuff! I feel like I've jumped back over a year and am using actual shampoo again, it's never been so clean.

Never thought of using clay for brushing your teeth! :D

Back
Top Bottom