Body by Science HIIT / TUL App

Mark

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
For those doing the Body by Science workout (HIIT workout) here's a link to the app I made, it's in the Google Play store. Let me know if you see any problems or have any suggestions. Also, there's an info icon on the top right of the top bar in the app, it leads to an info page with some basic instructions for use.

If you want to search for it in the Play store search for this: "High Intensity Time Under Load Tracker (HIIT/TUL)" -- and hopefully it shows up somewhere in the list. I attached an icon to this post, this is the app icon, maybe that'll help you find it in the search results.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.timeunderload.app

Attachments

• tul128.png
    tul128.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Thank you, Mark! Going to test it in a couple of days :-)
Couple of suggestions:
* Add an ability to set a delay on start with a sound signal when the counter starts. It can be handy for people with only two arms :-)
* Add an ability to decrease time after stop for the same reason.

Last edited:
Thanks for this Mark! :thup: The only thing I could use that I haven't found would be an option to keep the screen lit while the program is working. I'd imagine the app would need some kind of permission from the phone then so not a biggie but would be helpful.

Did my first HIIT Session yesterday and so far I'm rather surprised that I only have rather mild aching muscles compared to other workouts I did in the past. As I understood it that effect is supposed to be one of the benefits of this system compared to others and so far it seems to hold true. So far so good!

I tested the app today. My phone turned the screen off after ~30 seconds and the timer stopped. It's really inconvenient because I have no idea how to disable sleep mode on my phone. It would be nice if the app suppressed sleep mode just like stock timer app does.

I tested the app today. My phone turned the screen off after ~30 seconds and the timer stopped. It's really inconvenient because I have no idea how to disable sleep mode on my phone. It would be nice if the app suppressed sleep mode just like stock timer app does.

The setting is among the "Display" settings somewhere. On Android 8.x it's at Settings -> Display -> Screen Timeout. I set mine to 2 minutes and don't have any problem with the app display turning off during an exercise.

I'll try to get something into the code to prevent it from turning off, that may not so easy due to the way this app is built.

The setting is among the "Display" settings somewhere. On Android 8.x it's at Settings -> Display -> Screen Timeout. I set mine to 2 minutes and don't have any problem with the app display turning off during an exercise.

I'll try to get something into the code to prevent it from turning off, that may not so easy due to the way this app is built.
That's exactly right. You can change the screen timeout and set it to something higher. However in Android 7.1 I believe there is a quick setting tile that says 'Caffeine' in which you can set your phone to stay lit for 'X' amount of time. In Android 8.1 the tile I have says 'Always on Display' which keeps the display lit until you un-click it. You can just click these quick setting tiles while your using the app and then shut them off when your done and you won't have to be concerned about the normal phone operation being changed.

Thank you, Mark! Going to test it in a couple of days :-)
Couple of suggestions:
* Add an ability to set a delay on start with a sound signal when the counter starts. It can be handy for people with only two arms :-)
* Add an ability to decrease time after stop for the same reason.

Those would be useful, I put 'em on the TODO list. Thanks!

Thanks, I found the setting :-)

Thanks Mark for creating the APP. It was wonderful. App works pretty Fast, easy to use. Putting the list of 10 exercises recommend by the author in it helped me to what to look for when I went to Fitness club i was a member. I do think putting customizable time delay after pressing play button helps to settle down. couple thoughts
- Are there any way one can add custom exercises that are already not there.
- Initially I forgot to save as i was in hurry to move to next exercise and "Save & Finish" menu item is in the top and i was looking for it next to play button. One good thing one can't move out of exercise screen unless once cliks on "Cancel" or "Save & Finish". Is it worth to put the buttons of "Save & Finish" next to play button. Not a big issue, thought mention it.

Hello Mark.
For those doing the Body by Science workout (HIIT workout) (...) search for this: "High Intensity Time Under Load Tracker (HIIT/TUL)"
Please note that there is a confusion in Scottie's thread title, and consequently in your description, between HIT and HIIT :
HIT means High Intensity Training (among these methods, there are the super slow ones like the BBS one).
HIIT generally means High Intensity Interval Program, also called high-intensity intermittent exercise (HIIE) or sprint interval training (SIT), which is a complete different kind of trainings.
(I guess that "intensity" has not the exact same meaning in both names).

Please refer for instance to :
High-intensity interval training - Wikipedia
High-intensity training - Wikipedia
(Super Slow - Wikipedia)

My two euro-cents.

PS : to my understanding (but I'm not an expert), the BBS method would be better labelled (holy ! :-D) "SSHIT" : Super Slow High-Intensity Training.

Those would be useful, I put 'em on the TODO list. Thanks!

Great little app @Mark! I've been using it for the last few months and there's a couple more things I think would be cool to have in addition to the delayed start and ability to add custom exercises:

1. Is there a way to also display the weight (perhaps superimposed) along with the time? In the screenshot below, only the weight is charted. I think it would be handy to also see the weight used on the chart.

Screenshot_20180812-085435.png

2. I've been trying to understand what the arrows beside the exercise mean exactly in the below screen cap. It seems like it is suggesting whether to go up or down in weight depending on how much time was spent on an exercise. If that's the case, is there a way to program the parameters for it (by tapping on the arrow for example)? So if at a certain weight I hit more than 90s then it would suggest to increase but at less than 45 then decrease? Also, I don't think that feature seems to work for certain exercises (the leg ones have been grayed out the whole time and don't change like the other ones do).

Screenshot_20180811-125334.png

3. There seems to be a bug where the timer doesn't stop for some reason. It has happened only a few times but basically when you press 'stop' after completing the exercise it keeps counting. Pressing start and stop has no effect and neither does clicking cancel or save. The only thing is the completely shutdown and restart the app. I can recreate it by rapidly pressing start/stop a few times. The timer starts counting. If you go to another exercise, it still counts. It seems like it goes into some program loop that it can't exit from. Anyway, that's really the only major bug I've encountered so far (aside from the one mention in #2 above.

Anyway, I don't how difficult it would be to add and/or fix the things mentioned but otherwise it does the job and sure beats having to write everything down! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom