Quit Facebook for two weeks

I quit Facebook nine months ago. and haven't missed it at all. In fact I laugh at myself now for even being such a dummy to use Facebook in the first place (was only for a few years though)
Never looked back and I have so much more time to dedicate to other endeavours.

So I think I'll keep at it, while being careful with my time and having a purpose in mind when on those platforms rather than aimlessly wandering through feeds and just 'entertaining' oneself. With the exception of cute/funny cat videos... :-P

Yes, that's how I go about it too. Skimming the feed for 5 minutes a day or so is actually nice with all the forumites on there, it gives me a sense of connection. But it's just so easy to get lost and I think for those of us who are prone to addictive behavior and procrastination (myself included), it's good practice to either follow super-strict rules or experiment with deactivating the account like Turgon did.

Me too I noticed that I hardly ever see any articles posted anymore. Perhaps folks just post less, but it seems fb strongly favors videos and the like (especially cat videos!!). To be honest, I kind of gave up on "spreading the truth" on fb - it seems nobody sees the articles I post anyway... But let's soldier on!

Funny, I've quit Facebook too, 2 weeks ago, I find it pointless since they change the feed algorithm, I could'nt see anyone's liked or reacted publication anymore. Also after observing people browsing their fb on their phone, most people don't bother to click and read article link, especially since I'm from french speaking world and also because it's bad news everytime so.. I kind of gave up too for now.

Interesting that this comes up at this point. For quite a while now I really started to question what exactly Facebook and Co. do to people and maybe even to those who know the trap it can represent.

Then a couple of weeks ago I watched the following video which got me thinking even more about the evilness of cellphones of course, but mainly also about Facebook and social media in general:

Chad brings up some very good points above about cellphones and the "social media" effect in general. So I thought about it a bit more and I think the issue might go even deeper then that. What if Facebook for example, even if you only use it on a PC every now and then and you have the knowledge of its pitfalls, sort of programs people to not care for example? Is it somehow promoting indifference in us? Is it making a lot of things people would normally care about sort of trivial and meaningless?

So we scroll through our feed and what exactly is happing there in us, especially if we do it regularly/daily? Do wet get dull/zombie like? Apart from it becoming an addictive thing, it seems to me that all sorts of "news", be they trivial, horrific, funny, deranged, ugly, propagandistic, mixt with good information in between, get absorbed so quickly by scrolling over a sketchy headline with a picture or video, that it makes everything so trivial and valueless. So it might leave some quite negative effects on people?

I can't quite put words to it. I was also thinking about the C's comment in a session (paraphrasing) that "computers will overpower us" in a similar way something else overpowered the peoples of Atlantis.

And what about the term "social media" itself? Isn't it somehow a bit of a strange phrase? Since when has media been so closely associated with sociality and why? What if it truly makes us unsocial, even if we pay good attention?

And what about the term "Facebook"? It is my understanding that this term was used to describe the superficial nature of the whole concept, since the "original idea" was for everyone to share what they do in daily live, especially every silly little thing that doesn't belong anywhere except at your place.

In newspapers and normal news websites you (still) have the option to only read/view certain things in specific topics that are separated from each other. On Facebook on the other hand, everything gets mixed together and sensationalistic "one headline to the next thinking/acting" get promoted in the way Facebook arranges it for you.

I'm not even talking about the Propaganda this platform is promoting while banning and silencing "evil things" like the truth, one step at a time.

It also seems to me that many other platforms, including news websites, have adopted some of this "Facebook" style, in which everything becomes so fast and meaningless.

I dunno, maybe the whole Facebook thing is a lot more toxic then thought?

I've quit FB around 8 years ago. I thought my account was deleted, but somewhere aroun year and half ago, one women from work told me I look cute on picture with my baby boy. I've deleted everything even pictures. How did she find me? There are so many women with my name and last name because it's very common one in my country, few pages when you type it in searchbox. Really weird, she must have clicked all the profiles with my name and specifically search for me- and that's the reason I've quit Facebook many years ago, because I didn't want to have people I'm not good with to spy on me or simply be aroud strangers

I've quit FB around 8 years ago. I thought my account was deleted, but somewhere aroun year and half ago, one women from work told me I look cute on picture with my baby boy. I've deleted everything even pictures. How did she find me? There are so many women with my name and last name because it's very common one in my country, few pages when you type it in searchbox. Really weird, she must have clicked all the profiles with my name and specifically search for me- and that's the reason I've quit Facebook many years ago, because I didn't want to have people I'm not good with to spy on me or simply be aroud strangers

Maybe your FB account wasn't permanently deleted.This tutorial shows how to do that.

How to permanently DELETE Your Facebook Account – 2018 Update | vpnMentor

Hope this helps. :-)

Really weird, she must have clicked all the profiles with my name and specifically search for me-

Not necessarily, if you have Facebook "friends" in common with her, the search results will show you first because of this reason. Basically, Facebook will show you mainly the people you might know based on your Facebook friends and theirs.

I dunno, maybe the whole Facebook thing is a lot more toxic then thought?

It sounds like you're saying that putting distance on all of the mixed matters makes them all seem trivial. You get the mundane mixed with the important things. So it muddies the waters so to speak. And I've noticed that when scrolling for more content, it is like a dopamine seeking act, or playing a slot machine. I like to scroll until I get a few more 'juicy' posts and not just cute videos, but I've noticed as you have that there are fewer serious posts. Maybe FB is pushing the algorithms to filter out things or fewer forum members are posting?

FB can be a good tool of keeping with friends and close ones that are far away. Not necessarily only news about their whereabouts, but even sharing silly cat videos. It does help with feeling closer. :-)

But then there is this thing where people you don't really know or care about join or remain on your list silent. In many cases they don't agree with you and don't even like you! And yet they stay. :rolleyes: This is a very strange behavior, and that's why I also periodically want to just remove accounts from all social media sites.

But then I consider the above explanation, and how this activity and communicating this way with people I do care about does help to maintain my sanity. :-P And it can be used to share Sott articles, and keep up with the news. It's true that most of the "information" on various social network is nothing but empty calories and noise. But perhaps with awareness and proper intentions it can be kept on a manageable level. Everyone just should know there's.

Not necessarily, if you have Facebook "friends" in common with her, the search results will show you first because of this reason. Basically, Facebook will show you mainly the people you might know based on your Facebook friends and theirs.
No I didn't have any friends with this women, I met her at work, she was just curious. But I personally don't let anyone from the street into my private life. In my area is normal to check people on FB even if you don't know them:-). Small town. I heard that our mayor has around 50 fake profiles through which he shares propaganda before elections. I'm not person for updating statuses and such. I have like 5 friends on Viber and I sent them funny cat pictures and this is it.

I posted an article from Caitlin Johnstone with part of the article showing on top that I quoted. It was about narratives controlling how people think. I have likes on it from people I normally don't 'hear' from on such posts. So I think that my suspicion was right; there are some people who are looking at what I'm posting that remain silent most of the time.

Now, I'm not even that concerned with changing peoples minds, it's more about showing people that there are some people out there who aren't afraid to tell it like it is. Because for most people on FB who are not part of this group, there aren't many people like that on FB

It's really interesting to read everyone's take on social media and Facebook. And the thing is, I agree, if you can use it responsibly and not get attached to it or allow the insidiousness of social media addiction to worm it's way into your life, then by all means. It can be a way of staying in contact with people, sharing information and watching cute cat videos. But for me, there was a twofold issue that brought me towards deactivating Facebook AND taking data plan off my phone. A digital detox of sorts.

For one, Facebook may act like an intermediary that gives us a sense of social connection and community, but underneath that is like what fabric, said, the thrill of dopamine surging through our system every time we look up in the top right corner and see notifications telling us someone has liked or commented on something we've posted. And that can be pretty innocent for the most part if you can maintain a level of detachment and awareness about the importance of stuff like that and it doesn't become a replacement for genuine interaction with another human being.

So taking a break from both that and having a data plan, which really adds to the temptation, I believe, is probably a good thing in the long run. And Chad Prather is so spot on, I think where technology or social media becomes dangerous is when it acts like an interface with reality because of how easy it is to not pay attention to what's in front of you.

Chad brings up some very good points above about cellphones and the "social media" effect in general. So I thought about it a bit more and I think the issue might go even deeper then that. What if Facebook for example, even if you only use it on a PC every now and then and you have the knowledge of its pitfalls, sort of programs people to not care for example? Is it somehow promoting indifference in us? Is it making a lot of things people would normally care about sort of trivial and meaningless?

So we scroll through our feed and what exactly is happing there in us, especially if we do it regularly/daily? Do wet get dull/zombie like? Apart from it becoming an addictive thing, it seems to me that all sorts of "news", be they trivial, horrific, funny, deranged, ugly, propagandistic, mixt with good information in between, get absorbed so quickly by scrolling over a sketchy headline with a picture or video, that it makes everything so trivial and valueless. So it might leave some quite negative effects on people?
For one, Facebook may act like an intermediary that gives us a sense of social connection and community, but underneath that is like what fabric, said, the thrill of dopamine surging through our system every time we look up in the top right corner and see notifications telling us someone has liked or commented on something we've posted. And that can be pretty innocent for the most part if you can maintain a level of detachment and awareness about the importance of stuff like that and it doesn't become a replacement for genuine interaction with another human being.

After following this thread, I've decided to take a break from FB for a couple weeks. I've noticed that I have tended to become desensitized to some really horrific things, such as what is happening in Yemen. In part, that could be just the shear amount of things going on that are horrible for many years on end and increasing in intensity, but a part could also be what I've bolded from Pashalis.

Tie that in with what I've bolded with Turgon (ie the dopamine hit), it could really be sending mixed messages where I get a dopamine hit from 'likes' and positive social aspects of the using FB, yet at the same time see the horrors of the world and all the negative stuff going on in the feed, where it kind of becomes more of the same, since it has been grinding on for years.

Another thing I've noticed when thinking about it the last few days, is FB has become a form of dissociation for me. I find myself scrolling my feed without a purpose in mind and generally wasting time.

I haven't quit Facebook but I did delete the application from my phone, as well as instagram and now check my social media once, maybe twice a day, for a few minutes. The one I kept on my phone is Twitter but I must admit I am considering deleting it as well as, interestingly, all the energy that would go into the other two now goes into this one, and while the interaction is different and more mentally engaging, I get that sense of having to constantly check it for new updates and stories.

I decided to do it when i realized i was doing something rather paradoxical, I was spending a lot of time on both of these platforms but I wasn't engaging with the content... I was scrolling as fast as possible, literally like getting a hit, and then I'd close it go to the other one and scroll fast... close it, and go back and forth. It felt like "I need to consume everything i missed since last time I checked as fast as possible". Which is ridiculous.

So I deleted them and there was anxiety at first, but then I realized I don't miss them and I'm better off. I haven't deleted my accounts but I won't have them with me everywhere I go. Which is interesting as, the minute I deleted Instagram, I have gotten dozens of emails from them saying "oh we made it so easy for you to get back on your account from your phone, please download the app". So, I realized that there's an insidious side to it that is also rather logical: in order for these apps to succeed they must be used as much as possible by as many people as possible, and in order for them to drain your life force you need to do something for them. So essentially, without our participation the mindlessness of apps and social media has no power over us. Which is logical but I never thought about it in those terms.

It reminded me of the concept of spirit attachments, where it seems like such an insidious, dark and mysterious thing that happens and that we can't escape from it and it's almost uncontrollable. But much like FB, if we don't engage mindlessly, we won't catch the sickness of the social media. And if we have the "bug" we remain so long as we choose to remain, and the only way out or away from it is to (easier said than done, i'm aware) walk away despite your senses begging you not to.

Back
Top Bottom