Inspiration from the Weirdest of Places: 'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up'

kalibex

Dagobah Resident
Recently finished this book by Japanese De-cluttering expert Marie Kondo. A good introduction to the main concepts therein can be found in the following article:

_http://www.marthastewart.com/1106009/konmari-trendy-new-organizing-method_

A fairly minor detail, perhaps, our relationship to the 1D world...but I think there are some good reminders in Kondo's tidying philosophy of possible ways to healthily change how we relate to our 'possessions' (especially given our STS tendency to obsessively cling to and even 'worship' the material.)

As she points out along the way, clinging to no-longer-needed possessions? Totally fear-based. That big STS way of relating to the Whole...

I'm currently working on releasing what I no longer need (A whole lot of STS 'Clutter', needless to say.) :shock:

Thanks Kalibex, just the title reminded me of a book I read many years ago The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation by Thich Nhat Hanh. It is often referred to for its concept of Washing the Dishes to Wash the Dishes:

While washing the dishes one should only be washing the dishes, which means that while washing the dishes, one should be completely aware of the fact that one is washing the dishes. At first glance, that might seem a little silly: why put so much stress on a simple thing? But that’s precisely the point. The fact that I am standing there and washing these bowls is a wondrous reality. I’m being completely myself, following my breath, conscious of my presence, and conscious of my thoughts and actions. There’s no way I can be tossed around mindlessly like a bottle slapped here and there on the waves.
_http://inboundbuddha.com/washing-the-dishes-to-wash-the-dishes-an-exercise-in-mindfulness/

It is useful to try different methods and mindsets to make chores more appealing and it is quite intuitive how the benefits of cleaning up can resonate in other areas of our lives. - Easier said than practiced though :(

Reactions: SMM
An even better article that describes what happens during the process:

http://rvanews.com/news/a-true-account-of-the-life-changing-magic-of-tidying-up/124633

"Once I began to release things, the energy was transformed and renewed. Space was created for other things to come into my life. The me that I have been made a way for the person that I am now. I have learned and grown from those past mistakes and regrets. What more is there to do? This is the human experience. Our failures of the past make us the humans that we are. Live a little and then live some more."

I bought her book, but never read it. I think some of her ideas are interesting, like folding your clothes by rolling them up. But I have been thinking about something when purging ideas.

She says to ask yourself if it sparks joy. I've thought about it more intellectually or practically. "What problem does this solve?" And you can take it further and ask if it's really a problem. So if you're thinking about doing something or buying something, ask that question. It's more for things you've yet to do, but I suppose you could ask it when decluttering too.

Something to try if you have trouble with these things. I find that a lot of my thoughts don't represent actual problems.

Back
Top Bottom