Another muscial version of PoTS

Hi everybody. this is something I've wanted to do for quite sometime now, but never seem to have the time....(I also have a huge procrastination/ why bother program running)....but for some reason this morning I felt a little creative juice, and forced myself to find a place to upload some tunes to, and signed up on Upload-Mp3. I REALLY don't know what I'm doing when it comes to sharing files and other web stuff...but I thought I should at least give it a try. I hope this works. Please let me know if it doesn't.

If any of you other talented folks out there (who can actually sing) want to cover this version, please feel free to do so.( after many years of playing and singing I still can't stand the sound of my voice :-[) FYI...the guitar is tuned, from lowest to highest, DADGAD. The melody is a revised (to fit the words) version of an instrumental ditty I wrote a few years ago. When I first read the PoTS a couple years ago, I immediately thought of that song, and that its feeling would blend well with the words.

I tried a couple times to make the words and music mesh, but couldn't make it work right. This morning I had the bright idea (DUH!)..that since due to how concise the words are, and the time and energy Laura spent on creating them, that in no way could I change any words..but I could easily tweak the music...so that's what I did. I hope you all enjoy it.

http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/350047_eurnm/PoTS-byBHN.M4A
Thanks, Dave

Thank you for the kind words Hithere. I think hearing ones own voice is a good example of why you have to sometimes trust the honest opinions of others...just like not being able to analyze your thinking with how you think, you can't hear how you really sound outside yourself from inside. I have accepted the tonal qualities as OK, its the little imperfections, garbled words, slightly off notes and such that seem to "bug me" when I hear myself....but I do realize that if I did get everything "perfect" it would probably be so sterile as to not be enjoyable.

Over the years I have found the best approach to developing ones "own sound" or voice, is to first be genuine and sing from the heart, and then behind that try to be as technically correct as possible.

I like it :)

I found myself singing along with you.

Wouldn't it be great if we could somehow from all corners of the earth add our voices to this and have all of our voices recorded? I've often felt quite moved by lots of voices with all of their shades and tones mingling together.

I wonder if there is a way for us to do this?

Great Job Beherenow!

I just listened to it. And I must say you have a great voice to listen to, I like it. I think that the more you practice with your voice the better you become. :cool2:

beherenow said:
Over the years I have found the best approach to developing ones "own sound" or voice, is to first be genuine and sing from the heart, and then behind that try to be as technically correct as possible.
I make music myself and struggle with much of the same sentiments toward the sound of my voice. I think you are right about this approach, but have yet to keep a recording of my voice due to my inability to hear something worthwhile in it.

Thank you all for the responses and kind words.

Posted by: Jones
Wouldn't it be great if we could somehow from all corners of the earth add our voices to this and have all of our voices recorded? I've often felt quite moved by lots of voices with all of their shades and tones mingling together.

Jones, that's a wonderful thought...kinda reminds me of one of Pete Seeger's main motivations, that is to get people to sing together and feel their unity and humanity. There was a documentary about him I saw, and what stuck with me most was the wonderful expression of pure joy on that mans face when he had the whole audience signing together....it made my eyes leak!

I'm pretty low tech, but I'm certain with all the techies out there it could be overdubbed with many layers of other voices...that would be VERY cool!( plus it would drown out my voice :D) I found myself singing a harmony line when I was reviewing the recording. I think, at the least, it really needs a feminine harmony for balance. I would be willing to have a friend, who has much higher quality recording equipment than me, make a better base recording in whatever is the best format, that we could then digitally pass around and have people add tracks to it.? I think there may be even better ways to do it that I'm not aware of.

I make music myself and struggle with much of the same sentiments toward the sound of my voice. I think you are right about this approach, but have yet to keep a recording of my voice due to my inability to hear something worthwhile in it.

Keep plugin' away Hithere, and ask for honest criticism from people you trust, it can really help build confidence. I played guitar from the age of 12 to 31 only singing "in the closet" before I got over my shyness and got the courage to play and sing in public. Though I've heard my recorded voice many times, and have gotten used to it, I still don't "like" it.....or maybe I should say "it" don't like it. :lol:

I really like that, Beherenow. And I think your voice sounds great. It's almost like a bit of Johnny Cash mixed with a bit of Steve Earle. It goes really well with an acoustic guitar, for sure.

beherenow said:
Jones, that's a wonderful thought...kinda reminds me of one of Pete Seeger's main motivations, that is to get people to sing together and feel their unity and humanity. There was a documentary about him I saw, and what stuck with me most was the wonderful expression of pure joy on that mans face when he had the whole audience signing together....it made my eyes leak!

Yeah :-) I find lots of voices are powerfully moving.

I'm pretty low tech, but I'm certain with all the techies out there it could be overdubbed with many layers of other voices...that would be VERY cool!( plus it would drown out my voice :D) I found myself singing a harmony line when I was reviewing the recording. I think, at the least, it really needs a feminine harmony for balance. I would be willing to have a friend, who has much higher quality recording equipment than me, make a better base recording in whatever is the best format, that we could then digitally pass around and have people add tracks to it.? I think there may be even better ways to do it that I'm not aware of.

I in no way intended to mean to drown out your voice! :) I like mingling voices though.

I found myself trying to find the harmony when I was singing along with you. I don't know much about music though even though I have done a little wedding singing for friends mainly. I generally don't have the confidence to sing publicly on my own, but would love a choir. I'd love to add tracks though. For those like me with little knowledge of music I think that just the melody with your voice to start and then you could add the guitar on top when you get the final product back because I had one experience where each added track seemed to wash out the music underneath. But that was back in the days of old cassette tapes though so perhaps digital recording presents other ways to deal with such issues?

Keep plugin' away Hithere, and ask for honest criticism from people you trust, it can really help build confidence. I played guitar from the age of 12 to 31 only singing "in the closet" before I got over my shyness and got the courage to play and sing in public. Though I've heard my recorded voice many times, and have gotten used to it, I still don't "like" it.....or maybe I should say "it" don't like it. :lol:
[/quote]

I like singing but I rarely like hearing my voice played back to me. Maybe we are each more critical of our own voices than what others are?

beherenow said:

Jones said:
I like singing but I rarely like hearing my voice played back to me. Maybe we are each more critical of our own voices than what others are?

Thank you for encouraging words, I don't mean to hijack this thread!
I think it is probably true that one is more critical towards oneself than others would be, but I dread to find out that I was right all along and in fact do have a detestable voice in others ears! :lol:
I have a fear of sounding bad all out of proportion with the fact that my music-making is voluntary and done for relaxation and pleasure. So I need to make "it" stand back and allow me to shout/quack/yell my songs. :D

beherenow,

I guess the link to your version of POTS is not working now. That's what I get for being so late thinking about the music part of the forum.

Thank you for posting your version. I am just sorry I am so late to even think about the music talent here on the forum. I think I have been reluctant to focus on the music because it seemed like a diversion for me but now I realize that as the Cs say "music is good". I have been thinking of trying a version of POTS myself and that's when I decided to see what has been done by others first. If you still have your version on another link I would love to hear it after reading others comments. :)

Hi Goyacobol, The "cloud" that i uploaded it to went away...out of business...a year or so after the post. I'm not very adept at doing these things, but if you give me a little time I'll try to get a redo up soon.

I still have the version that I originally posted, here in my computer...but after listening to it for the first time in a couple of years, I think I could do it better...maybe a vid so you can see the positions. If you like it, feel free to do your own thing with it...i have a feeling your skills may be better honed than mine and I would love to hear a "real" musicians take on it.

If its OK with you, I could try to send a PM to you with the original that was posted here...my G-mail now has a cloud thing for big files if i can figure it out...or maybe I can just post the cloud link for everyone... I've never used that option in that way, but I'm certain it can be done .

....also, maybe some one here downloaded it?....if anyone did, feel free to repost it.

Thanks, Dave

beherenow said:
Hi Goyacobol, The "cloud" that i uploaded it to went away...out of business...a year or so after the post. I'm not very adept at doing these things, but if you give me a little time I'll try to get a redo up soon.

I still have the version that I originally posted, here in my computer...but after listening to it for the first time in a couple of years, I think I could do it better...maybe a vid so you can see the positions. If you like it, feel free to do your own thing with it...i have a feeling your skills may be better honed than mine and I would love to hear a "real" musicians take on it.

If its OK with you, I could try to send a PM to you with the original that was posted here...my G-mail now has a cloud thing for big files if i can figure it out...or maybe I can just post the cloud link for everyone... I've never used that option in that way, but I'm certain it can be done .

....also, maybe some one here downloaded it?....if anyone did, feel free to repost it.

Thanks, Dave

Thanks Dave/beherenow,

I think all the versions are special for the way they allow us to express the feeling and emotion we have for the meaning of the POTS words. I don't see why they couldn't all be put together so everyone's style is available. Sort of like anything from country, soul, blues, jazz, classical etc. since we are all individual in musical tastes.

I don't know if an attachment would be to large but I can wait until you find a way to link to it. I don't have G-mail so I don't know exactly how that works.

Back
Top Bottom