Historical Cycles - Are we doomed to repeat the past?

Al Today

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I could have posted this on facebook, but I think you, my friends are more important to me that that. I have wondered about time loops and such. While surfing on my day off, reading SOTT, the forum, facebook and such, I came across this youtube video and am compelled to share with you. Perhaps simplistic, it seems to drive home the repetitive nature of history and I would enjoy your thoughts on this...

It is called: Historical Cycles. Are we doomed to repeat past...
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w6QYPzF2TI

Yeah it's a great video, sott ran it a while back in Nov 2014
http://www.sott.net/article/288989-Historical-Cycles-Are-we-doomed-to-repeat-the-past

they actually had the author on last night for the radio show.
Paradise Stolen - Interview with Stefan Verstappen
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/sottradionetwork/2015/05/03/behind-the-headlines-paradise-stolen--interview-with-stefan-verstappen

We also interviewed Stefan previously on that specific topic of Historical Cycles

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/sottradionetwork/2014/11/23/historical-cycles-are-we-doomed-to-repeat-the-past-with-stefan-verstappen

Thank you for the links. Some say there is no coincidence, that all happens for a reason. Funny strange how this all works...
:shock: :shock: :shock:

The concept of synchronicity

The idea of synchronicity is that the conceptual relationship of minds, defined by the relationship between ideas, is intricately structured in its own logical way and gives rise to relationships which have nothing to do with causal relationships in which a cause precedes an effect. Instead, causal relationships are understood as simultaneous — that is, the cause and effect occur at the same time.

Synchronous events reveal an underlying pattern, a conceptual framework which encompasses, but is larger than, any of the systems which display the synchronicity. The suggestion of a larger framework is essential in order to satisfy the definition of synchronicity as originally developed by Swiss psychologist Carl Jung.

Carl Gustav Jung coined the word to describe what he called "temporally coincident occurrences of acausal events."
_http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_synchronicity03.htm

Thank you for sharing, unfortunately we have not learned (memorized) the past, the major and minor actors have changed, but the end, results are the same.

Thanks for sharing, it is sad to see this situation, mankind back to their own destruction, I found very important the idea of survival in what lies ahead in terms of the creation of communities, I think this would play an important role, and make a difference in getting the beats go smoother. :(

Here is interesting book about historical cycles

The Fate of Empires and Search for Survival by John Bagot Glubb
The book seems to be out of print, but can be easily found in the Internet.

Summary (The Fate of Empires)
As numerous points of interest have arisen in the course of this essay, I close with a brief summary, to refresh the reader's mind.

a. We do not learn from history because our studies are brief and prejudiced.
b. In a surprising manner, 250 years emerges as the average length of national greatness.
c. This average has not varied for 3,000 years. Does it represent ten generations?
d. The stages of the rise and fall of great nations seem to be:

1. The Age of Pioneers (outburst)
2. The Age of Conquests
3. The Age of Commerce
4. The Age of Affluence
5. The Age of Intellect
6. The Age of Decadence.

e. Decadence is marked by:

1. Defensiveness
2. Pessimism
3. Materialism
4. Frivolity
5. An influx of foreigners
6. The Welfare State
7. A weakening of religion.

f. Decadence is due to:

1. Too long a period of wealth and power
2. Selfishness
3. Love of money
3. The loss of a sense of duty.

g. The life histories of great states are amazingly similar, and are due to internal factors.
h. Their falls are diverse, because they are largely the result of external causes.
i. History should be taught as the history of the human race, though of course with emphasis on the history of the student’s own country.

Summary (Search for Survival)

1. Our teaching of history should be modified so as to include the history of the human race.
2. There can be no doubt that too long a period of power and wealth leads to decadence. We must diagnose how this occurs and take steps to rectify it.
3. Old nations suffer from atrophy owing to organisation, to rigid forms and to an ever-increasing bureaucracy, destroying individual initiative and psychological drive.
4. The armed forces recruited from a welfare state tend to lose initiative. Too luxurious a standard of living results in their becoming all tail and no teeth.
5. Too much organisation from above tends to destroy initiative. One of our chief problems is how to avoid over­-organisation in an industrial nation.
6. We can appreciate the humane and benevolent intentions of the welfare state, while simultaneously realising that a spoon-fed population loses all initiative.
7. Decadent nations cease to explore new sources of wealth. Their energies are wasted in sordid squabbles over inherited wealth.
8. The influence of the Crown is impartial and thus valuable.
9. Both security and prosperity require large unified areas of free trade. The tendency to split up into smaller and smaller fragments increases poverty and insecurity.
10. The European Community is not a device to reduce the price of groceries in Britain. Its object is to produce a wider trading area and better integration of European defence measures.
11. The surest guarantee of world peace and free trade would be Anglo-American command of the sea. This fact, the foundation of the past greatness of Britain, does not seem to have been grasped by our modern politicians.
12. Although we talk of liberty, one of the most disastrous of modern trends is the tendency to use coercion, whether by the use of weapons, by strikes, blockades or boycotts. Reason, discussion and amicable persuasion produce better and more lasting results. But in order to be listened to we need to be strong.
13. A notable feature of declining nations is a loss of physical energy. We cannot be sure of the reason, for national decline has never been the subject of research.
14. Every one of us can contribute to the recovery of our country by working harder and by fostering a sense of comradeship and team-work.
15. Bribery and corruption in public life are new features in Britain. They cannot be obliterated by more laws or by increased penalties, but only by the diffusion of a higher standard of morality.
16. The increasing appearance of women in public life seems to have been a symptom of decline of past nations. We cannot explain the reversal of the sexes because no research has been done in this field.
17. Women are the guardians of the national future by the dedication with which they bring up their children. When women neglect small children to earn a double salary for the family, there is grave danger of injury to the next generation.
18. Men should venerate women for their noble and selfless service. Women, in their turn, would do better not to descend from their high estate.
19. Ease of travel and the increase in world population may inevitably lead to mixed populations. This tendency presents many dangers of internal hatreds. It is better to allow people to live as they wish, and in separate communities if they so desire, rather than to force them to integrate.
20. Love- patient and benevolent- will always find a way. The ideals of the British Commonwealth are based on this spirit.
21. Only a revival of spiritual devotion- not fashionable ‘-isms’- can inspire selfless service.
22. Each one of us can contribute by leading moral and dedicated lives, and by speaking and writing in that sense. If we have no leaders to inspire us, we must ‘go it alone’.

Back
Top Bottom