Leonid Elenin discovers an asteroid that will pass Earth on 26th of June, 2015

Keit

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
There is the following article on Russian SOTT about Leonid Elenin (the one who discovered the Elenin comet) discovering an asteroid 2015 LK24 that will fly pass Earth on 26th of June this year.

What is interesting, that apparently it doesn't appear on the "fly-by" list by spaceweather.com. Sure, the asteroid was discovered only on the 14th of June, but I wonder how many more are not included in the list because they were discovered at the last moment, or maybe discovered by the "evil Russkies".

In any case, the asteroid isn't going to pass too close to Earth (it is a bit more than half the distance than Icarus that passed the Earth on 16th of June, and it was 21 LD away), but still, how many more pass "unnoticed" by the "all seeing NASA" and have their effect on Earth?

Keit said:
Sure, the asteroid was discovered only on the 14th of June, but I wonder how many more are not included in the list because they were discovered at the last moment, or maybe discovered by the "evil Russkies".

... but still, how many more pass "unnoticed" by the "all seeing NASA" and have their effect on Earth?
I believe, as long as the Internet works, not one will not go unnoticed. :)

Link:
http://recentnewstechnology.blogspot.com/2015/06/russians-discovered-asteroid-murderer.html

http://news.rin.ru/eng/news_text/115835/

Keit said:
There is the following article on Russian SOTT about Leonid Elenin (the one who discovered the Elenin comet) discovering an asteroid 2015 LK24 that will fly pass Earth on 26th of June this year.

What is interesting, that apparently it doesn't appear on the "fly-by" list by spaceweather.com. Sure, the asteroid was discovered only on the 14th of June, but I wonder how many more are not included in the list because they were discovered at the last moment, or maybe discovered by the "evil Russkies".

In any case, the asteroid isn't going to pass too close to Earth (it is a bit more than half the distance than Icarus that passed the Earth on 16th of June, and it was 21 LD away), but still, how many more pass "unnoticed" by the "all seeing NASA" and have their effect on Earth?

Yep, good question Keit. Ikarus apparently had at least a "triple strike" on June 16th and 18th:

1) eruption of Asama volcano (Japan);

2) eruption and earthquakes at Kutinoerabu volcano (Japan);

3) eruption and earthquakes at Sinabung volcano (Sumatra, Indonesia).

We'll see what this Elenin brother is going (or not) to bring us soon.

Incidentally, was surprised to see this diagram yesterday from spaceweather. I might have missed similar ones in the past but usually, all reconstructed orbits of meteors (these are meteors observed in some limited places in North America) are elliptic (periodic). The blue one (high velocity) can of course be a numerical glitch, but it also be a genuine one.

orbits_strip.gif

Whether related to this Elenin asteroid or not, but just for the record: our Russian scientists say that the Earth magnetic storm caused by the solar flare of June 22 is the strongest in 12 years. We've been witnessing auroras all over Russia from Moscow to Novosibirsk.

That's gonna be on my birthday!!! A nice gift from space.

I know they say don't look a gift horse in the mouth, but I don't know what to think. :/ :cool2:

Felipe4 said:

I know they say don't look a gift horse in the mouth, but I don't know what to think. :/ :cool2:

Well, have a happy birthday, Felipe4! :-)
And I hope you get to see an Aurora.

Felipe4 said:

I wish you a Happy B day... may your wishes come true ;)

Back
Top Bottom