Author Topic: Best book to understand Gaslighting  (Read 946 times)

Offline melatonin

• Jedi Master
Best book to understand Gaslighting
« on: May 20, 2017, 09:23:22 AM »
Hi there,

Im looking for a book that explains gaslighting really well. Its for me and my Dad.
My mum abused me as a child, along with her siblings.
ts a big family secret they have kept well by using group gaslighting.
Their gaslighting, and pretending nothing happened/excluding me, is probably the last biggest hurdle I have in healing (My dad was also manipulated by them).
At some level...I still find it hard to believe myself.

So im looking for a really good book about gaslighting.  Any help would be very much appreciated!

Online Altair

• Ambassador
Re: Best book to understand Gaslighting
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 09:35:34 AM »
Hi there,

Im looking for a book that explains gaslighting really well. Its for me and my Dad.
Their gaslighting, and pretending nothing happened/excluding me, is probably the last biggest hurdle I have in healing (My dad was also manipulated by them).

So im looking for a really good book about gaslighting.  Any help would be very much appreciated!

The term stems from the film Gas Light which is free available on youtube so maybe apart from the recommended books about psychopathy it's useful to (re)watch the film to get better understanding?
Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
An echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine.

And no one called us to the land
And no one knows the where's or why's.
Something stirs and something tries
Starts to climb toward the light.

Offline Meg

• Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »
Hi there,

There is a book called "The Gaslight Effect: How to Spot and Survive the Hidden Manipulation Others Use to Control Your Life" by Dr. Robin Stern. I read it a few years ago and thought it was excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/Gaslight-Effect-Survive-Manipulation-Control/dp/0767924452

George Simon's book "In Sheep's Clothing" is really good too.

https://www.amazon.com/Sheeps-Clothing-Understanding-Dealing-Manipulative/dp/1935166301
“Faith is an openness and trusting attitude to truth and reality, whatever it may turn out to be. This is a risky and adventurous state of mind. Belief in the religious sense, is the opposite of faith - because it is a fervent wishing or hope, a compulsive clinging to the idea that the universe is arranged and governed in such and such a way. Belief is holding to a rock; faith is learning how to swim - and this whole universe swims in boundless space.” ~ Alan Watts

Offline Anthony

• Dagobah Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 05:16:11 PM »
Another good one is: The Empathy Trap: Understanding Antisocial Personalities by by Jane McGregor and Tim McGregor.

The authors also had an interview on SOTT Talk Radio: https://www.sott.net/article/270014-Behind-the-Headlines-The-Empathy-Trap-Understanding-how-predators-manipulate-peoples-strengths-and-weaknesses
"Let us meet the time as it seeks us." - Cymbeline, Shakespeare