100 Explosions on the Moon

ianvr

Jedi
I know they are mostly small, but so many! And could the flashes also subscribe to electric discharge instead of kinetic energy as proposed in this article?

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/21may_100explosions.htm?list39361

What would be cool is to see if maybe those little meteorites are coming from the same general direction? Not sure if that's possible, but maybe if we knew exactly when a particular explosion happened and exactly where on the moon it hit, and what direction that part of the moon was facing at the time?

"That's an important finding," says Suggs. "It means there's no time of year when the Moon is impact-free."
Makes one wonder once again about those supposed moon landings; don't remember reportings of meteors from the missions. ;)

aragorn said:
Makes one wonder once again about those supposed moon landings; don't remember reportings of meteors from the missions. ;)
Or, the missions did happen but there weren't nearly as many impacts back then? That would make sense considering the frequency of impacts/sightings here on Earth in the last few years.

Another possibly helpful thing to look into is, is there any kind of "erosion" on the moon that might indicate how old an impact is? I don't think there is but I know very little on the subject. But if there was, and this again might be a really difficult or impossible thing to do, but can we look at the moon and based on this possible "erosion" tell how many of the craters/impacts on the moon happened more recently as opposed to a long time ago?

Back
Top Bottom