3 New Powerful Flicks, & One (Very) Oldie

I recently viewed 3 powerful newly-released films which, I felt, each in their own way, showed morally sane 'normies' rising to occasions of extraordinary circumstances, coming together in co-operation and solidarity, while confronting horrific effects of psychopathy and ponerization:
Whaledreamers, Battle In Seattle, and Trouble The Water

Whaledreamers was produced by Julian Lennon, son of John, and was over a decade in making. It depicts the coming together of many indigenous mystics from around the world, Australia, Africa, Alaska, South America, and more, on tribal lands of Northern Australia to re-connect with the shared totem nation of all of them - the whales. It's not some sappy "save the whales" flick. Some extraordinary undeniable "magic" takes place, as well as tragedy, and results of "right intention" are vividly depicted in stunning cinematography. Excellent sound track.

Battle In Seattle is wonderfully crafted intersection of live footage and cinematic story around the events of the 1999 WTO protests. It stars Woody Harrelson, and others. (He's a cop!) Police and politicians' corruption contrasted with protesters' strategizing meetings, and the brutal confrontations make it a pretty gut-wrenching watch. Also, very revealing scenes which took place inside the WTO (ruined) meeting.

Trouble The Water is a film everyone in America should see. A young hip-hop artist woman and her husband of the 9th Ward of New Orleans purchase a videocam 2 days before Katrina hits (they were gonna do music video). What they shot is pretty harrowing, but not gratuitously morbid, and almost immediately they were contacted by some professional docu filmmakers, who also filmed their subsequent tale, including Superdome, relocating, returning, FEMA-interaction, interspersed with clips of "Browny" and Bush, et al. Again, beautiful, normie people. The lady's music is also really awesome and beautiful (and I'm not much of a hip-hop fan). Transformed folks and transformative film. Won Grand Prize at Sundance.

The "Oldie" which I have been rewatching after 30+ years, with my girlfriend, is the 7-volume PBS series I Claudius from around 1976. It has about 13 hours of viewing time but well worth the watch. It is based on the original historical novel by Robert Graves. Nothin like it! The whole download on the absolute psychopathy of the Roman Empire. The parallels to our times are endless. And once it gets going, its a wild ride. Stars Derek Jacobi, Patrick Stewart, many other fine fine actors of the time. And, Graves was one of the greatest researchers of his time, author of The White Goddess, and Greek Myths and Hebrew Myths, etc. [I rented this from our local library.]

I highly recommend all of the above. Enjoy! :cool2:

Bholanath said:
Trouble The Water is a film everyone in America should see. A young hip-hop artist woman and her husband of the 9th Ward of New Orleans purchase a videocam 2 days before Katrina hits (they were gonna do music video). What they shot is pretty harrowing, but not gratuitously morbid, and almost immediately they were contacted by some professional docu filmmakers, who also filmed their subsequent tale, including Superdome, relocating, returning, FEMA-interaction, interspersed with clips of "Browny" and Bush, et al. Again, beautiful, normie people. The lady's music is also really awesome and beautiful (and I'm not much of a hip-hop fan). Transformed folks and transformative film. Won Grand Prize at Sundance.

Hi Bolanath,

Thanks for reviewing this documentary I had never heard about before.

Here is the trailer of Trouble The Water

Back
Top Bottom