A fruity treat

mada85

The Cosmic Force
Being sensitive to buckwheat, and wanting something that would replace cakes and be a healthy, sweet(ish) snack or dessert, I came up with the following recipe:

I make a fruit compote using fresh plums and apricots, dried prunes and dates, cinnamon, fresh ginger root and xylitol.

Chop the fruit and place it along with the spices and xylitol in a saucepan with a small amount of water. Only a very small amount of water is necessary, just enough so that you can bring it to the boil over a low heat and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, until the fruit is lightly cooked, and the water has mostly evaporated. I use a couple of fresh apricots, a few plums, a handful of dates, some prunes, about half to three quarter teaspoon of ground cinnamon, an inch or so of fresh root ginger and a couple of teaspoons of xylitol. For my next batch I'm going to experiment with adding berries such as cranberries, blueberries, etc.

While the fruit is cooking, I cook some quinoa. I use about half to three quarters of a cup.

When the quinoa is done, add it to the fruit compote and mix thoroughly. I tried cooking the fruit and quinoa together, but this greatly extends the cooking time of the quinoa, and the result isn't much different from the method I've described.

The resulting 'fruity quinoa' is absolutely delicious. It keeps well in the fridge and it's a tasty and healthy snack to take to work.

Back
Top Bottom