A.H. Almaas - The Work

ytain

Jedi
_http://www.ahalmaas.com/Extracts/in_world_not_of_it.htm

I read the extract and it reminds me of Gurdjieff teachings. At the end of the extract Almaas mentions Gurdjieff and the 'stupid saints'.

I couldn't find on the forum a discussion about Almaas' books.

Has anyone read his books?

Ytain

ytain said:
_http://www.ahalmaas.com/Extracts/in_world_not_of_it.htm

I read the extract and it reminds me of Gurdjieff teachings. At the end of the extract Almaas mentions Gurdjieff and the 'stupid saints'.

I couldn't find on the forum a discussion about Almaas' books.

Ytain

I went to his website and there sure is a bunch of word salad there. Links to this Ridhwan School ,

The Ridhwan School is a loosely-knit affiliation of ongoing groups, which has been unfolding over the last 30 years and now has members in many parts of North America, Europe and Australia. Hameed Ali (A.H. Almaas) is the spiritual head of the School, while individual groups are taught by qualified Ridhwan teachers.

The Diamond Approach is the spiritual teaching, the path, and the method of the Ridhwan School. The Ridhwan Foundation is the nonprofit spiritual organization established to support and preserve the integrity of the Diamond Approach teaching. Its educational branch is the Diamond Heart and Training Institute (DHAT), which is responsible for making the teaching available to the public; for training teacher/ministers; and for supporting the publication of teaching material through books and audiovisuals. Minister/teachers offer the Diamond Approach teaching through various formats including individual guidance sessions, public workshops, and ongoing groups. Only ordained Ridhwan minister/teachers are authorized to teach the Diamond Approach. All current teachers are listed at Teachers

Almost sounds like he's started his own FOTCM/EE practice. Wonder what is cost to be one of those ordaned teachers?

ytain said:

According to wiki, Almaas is a pen name and he "draws" on the number of backgrounds, including the Fourth Way (Gurdjieff) into his "approach."

Ali Hameed Almaas (A.H. Almaas) is the pen name of A. Hameed Ali, an author and spiritual teacher who writes about and teaches a mystical approach informed by modern psychology and therapy, which he calls the Diamond Approach.

Almaas is originally from Kuwait. He is the spiritual head of the Ridhwan School. Depending on one's perspective, he might be termed, among other things, an Integral theorist, mystic, spiritual teacher or an exponent of the perennial philosophy.

Almaas' books were originally published by the Ridhwan School, under the Diamond Books publishing title, but are now published by Shambhala.

The Diamond Approach is a contemporary spiritual path integrating the teachings and practices of the ancient wisdom traditions with modern depth psychology. The Diamond Approach is derived from the experiences of Almaas, along with Karen Johnson and Faisal Muqaddam (who split off early on to develop his own approach). They were among the first students of Claudio Naranjo, an early pioneer of the integration of spiritual and therapeutic work.

The curriculum of the work draws upon the founders' backgrounds in Sufism, Platonism, Buddhism and the Fourth Way. Teachers of the Diamond Approach focus on the students' specific perception of their own immediate work issues. Presentation of a canonical body of knowledge and practice is introduced over time as required.

It's likely that he would have been prone to the "misinterpretation" of the backgrounds of these area and teaches them.

ytain said:
Hi ytain,
I've read two of them and an introductory overview of his system. Alas, quite a while ago (6 to 11 years) and in Dutch translations.

These are the ones:
_http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Approach-Introduction-Teachings-Almaas/dp/1570624062
_http://www.amazon.com/Facets-Unity-Enneagram-Holy-Ideas/dp/0936713143/ref=pd_cp_b_3/190-0596299-8188006
_http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Beyond-Price-Integration-Personality/dp/093671302X

Zadius Sky said:
It's likely that he would have been prone to the "misinterpretation" of the backgrounds of these area and teaches them.
I have to confirm that.
Whereas Laura started out with a quest for 'God' and for the origins of true Christianity while dissatisfied with her then current beliefsystem and religious practicies (see her account in Amazing Grace, the Wave Series and Adventures with Cassiopaea - preferably in this order), most of these so called spiritual teachers and entrepreneurs started out from a totally different query - namely difficulties in academic theorybuilding and/or insoluble inconsistencies in either medical or psychiatric therapies, or in their teaching practices at universities. This difference has dire consequences for the results obtained.

From what I've gathered so far, this whole approach of which Almaas is only one exponent started way back in the 1950's with the input of Claudio Naranjo (see: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudio_Naranjo) who's wikipage somehow reads like a sort of Who is Who in this particular field of research and teaching.

To cut a long story short (with inevitable simplification): although some of these teachers did have revelations or realizations of a strictly personal nature during or at the start of their work, the bulk of their development, teachings and writings centers on psychology, psychiatry or medicine first with spirituality, enlightenment or esotericism as an afterthought so to speak - as an accessory or an auxiliary to fill some gaps that couldn't be mended with the mainstream academic science of the time.
As such, these attempts in bringing about some sort of integral psychology and transpersonal therapy all restrict themselves to the raiding and plundering of whichever spiritual tradition seems suited for their immediate needs and the result inevitably comes down to a veritable subjective potpourri of originally possible B-Influences written down and elaborated upon in A-Influences terminology - with no connection whatsoever to any source of C-Influences (see: http://cassiopedia.org/glossary/A%2C_B_and_C_Influences).
Add the usual academic stiff competition and some big egos into the mix and you end up with a wide proliferation of schools, teaching methods, theories, therapies and what not - all demonising as well as envying each others' mere existence. So, no networking beyond the very narrow boundaries of each individual system. At best they go along in some sort of cold war environment, thereby confirming in real life the truth of the saying about the 'confusion of tongues' (see, for example, this post explaining about that particular phenomenon: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,12770.msg292755.html#msg292755 ).

So, in my view, reading those works or attending those schools serves no purpose whatsoever in terms of 4Th way work - except maybe for reasons of sharpening ones capability of discernment and self observing ones gullability programs and such.

Having said all this, there could exist circumstances (academic study, education in general, personal path towards the 4Th Way, to name a few) wherein it might make sense to read some of at least the best specimens in this particular field of endeavor - but I won't pretend to be able to give authoritative recommendations for that. I'm truly sorry about that.

Paulinurus,

Thank you for answering. That was the purpose of my asking cause there was no discussion about his works or his books, and it is necessary to have a mention of it in this forum, in case someone would search/ask about his work/books in the future, to see what is it about and if it is beneficial to pursue or not.

The reason I asked is cause I was looking for some neuroscience material on topic of memory, emotion and perception and this came up.

Ytain

Back
Top Bottom