A novel about war... and an extraordinary dog

loreta

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I have this book since 1991 at a time when with my dog Firgoff I was going to second hand book stores to look for nature books. This dog made me read about dogs and cats and this particular book that I will talk about I bought it in a second hand store in downtown Montreal. The store exists not anymore.

Since 1991 the book follow me, and I did not leave it when I came here. He was always there, insisting to be read but as you know, every book has his time. I started to read it this week and at my surprise is one of the best book that I read about dogs. A master piece written by Sheila Burnford, a Canadian British author and the title of the book is : " Bel Ria, dog of war".

Sheila is known by a book that Walt Disney did a movie based on her novel "The Incredible Journey", in 1961 also a story about dogs and a cat. I did not read yet this story.

Bel Ria is a marvelous book about a dog that, during the Second World War helped some humans in different circumstances of grief or solitude. The book is about the horror of war in England and make us follow Bell Ria in his adventures. It is so well written. Sheila understood so much the psychology of dogs and also the psychology of humans. But specially what happens when a dog enters your life and how this encounter can change your life or make you think about your life. In times of horror and sufferance, animals can be a miracle from heaven.

Sheila knew about war, she drove an ambulance during it. She was an extraordinary woman also, fond of animals and nature. When she writes she is very near this thing that we call the soul. She is absolutely astounding.

In this book she paints so wonderfully Bel Ria that you have the sensation that the dog is here, near you. Also she is so good painting the horror of war, of people during the war, bombardments, fires, death... that you have the impression that you are inside this moment of total pain in the world. All the facts of the novel are real. There is an extraordinary chapter when Ria is living in a war boat. There you learn about the situation of war in the ocean and also about mascots in boats during war.

James Herriot, the so famous vet and also a magnificent writer, says about this book:

A fine story with uniquely appealing dog at its heart. Sheila Burnford shows her unfailing insight into the minds of animals

And the mind of humans also.
Also from here, where you will be able to see a little biography of Sheila:

Sheila’s last book, Bel Ria: Dog of War (1978) was the story of a little dog caught up in the horrors of the Second World War. In writing the book, she drew upon her own experiences in the Blitz and used research to maintain authenticity.

This book follow me, like a good dog, like Bel Ria, in all my adventures, my moving from city to city, even from country to country. I think that for people that love dogs, like many of you are, you will fall in love with Bel Ria if one day you read his story. And also fall in love with the writer.

Here you can see a little video about the life of Shelia. Thanks to listen.

Attachments

• bel ria.jpg
    bel ria.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 4
Loretta, thank you for sharing this book and your views regarding it. I am a lover of dogs (have two Rottweilers) and always enjoy a good read of animal non-fiction. I found it on Amazon and the reviews are wonderful there as well, ordered a copy and I am sure will enjoy reading it once it arrives. To me animals of all kinds are truly special, especially dogs, who seem to have the natural ability to give unconditional love to their humans.

Loretta, thank you for sharing this book and your views regarding it. I am a lover of dogs (have two Rottweilers) and always enjoy a good read of animal non-fiction. I found it on Amazon and the reviews are wonderful there as well, ordered a copy and I am sure will enjoy reading it once it arrives. To me animals of all kinds are truly special, especially dogs, who seem to have the natural ability to give unconditional love to their humans.
oh I am so happy. You will love this book. Dogs for me are also special, I love them so strongly. Enjoy Bel Ria!

Back
Top Bottom