AGRI-terrorists?

The following article brought to mind the articles I've read on cattle and other livestock mutilations. It also brought to mind all the news from around the country and world about how our food products are being contaminated and/or tampered with. Realizing that much of the readership of this Forum is not located in the U.S., I call all readers' attention to the recent food contamination reports (at least in the U.S.) of spinach, peanut butter, packaged chicken, and pet food. And those items are just the ones I can think of offhand.

From KCRG.com:

Livestock becoming victims of Violence
AP - A dozen of one farmer's cows have been gunned down since August. Another lost a 370-head hog nursery in a January fire investigators believe was intentionally set.

Reports of vandalism to farm equipment, buildings and at livestock construction sites have been turning up across rural Iowa.

Some farmers also say they've received threatening telephone calls and letters. They're coming from people condemning the bigger-is-better approach to raising cattle and pigs.
The question facing law enforcement officials is whether the incidents are random acts or deliberate, orchestrated attacks by those with personal, political or social agendas.
Since August, the Coalition to Support Iowa's Farmers has identified at least seven significant acts of violence and threats aimed at farmers.
The majority targeted hog producers who have expanded their operations or pursued government permits to do so. Cattle producers
have also been victims.
That's all according to Aaron Putze. He's the executive director of the coalition, which helps farmers meet environmental regulations.
No arrests have been made in the Iowa cases. Investigators say they believe the acts are the work of locals rather than radical, outside groups.

Back
Top Bottom