Alternate Nostril Breathing Balances Right/Left Hemispheres

Miss Isness

Jedi Master
Here's an excerpt from an article I found at: http://www.mercola.com/2000/feb/20/breathing.htm. I don't know what type of neuroscience research was done, but I think I'll look into it since balancing the two hemispheres of the brain is pretty much what I'm after. I do know that the technique is still taught by yogis.

Alternate Nostril Breathing

Using your thumb on your right nostril and your pinky and third finger (the finger right next to your pinky finger), hold your right nostril closed and inhale up your left nostril. Pause, and while your lungs are full of air, switch your fingers so that your left nostril is closed. Then exhale out your right nostril. Then inhale up your right nostril, pause, and again while your lungs are full of air, switch your fingers so that your right nostril is closed. Exhale. Repeat this process about 12 times. This breath is often done in preparation for deep relaxation or meditation.

You will notice that usually one or the other of the nostrils is more open. If you breath on a small hand mirror, the patch of mist from one nostril will be larger than from the other.

The ancient practitioners of Yoga in India were aware of the significance of this and employed this knowledge to enhance health and consciousness. Western science did not notice this phenomena until the 1800's.

It has been found recently, through the application of current neuroscience, that the practice of alternate nostril breathing helps to balance the right and left hemispheres of the brain.

Applications Suggestions:

Health maintenance: 10 to 12 repetitions, 2 to 3 sessions per day.

Health enhancement: 10 to 12 repetitions, 4 to 6 sessions per day.

Disease intervention: Start slowly and build up to 15 to 20 repetitions, 8 to 10 sessions per day or up to even 100 repetitions in a single session.

Getting started: 10 to 12 repetitions, once or twice per day. Notice that this method is very quieting.

Our first act when we emerge from the womb is to inspire. Our last act is to dis-inspire or expire. These breaths, first in and finally out, are like parentheses that encompass our corporal life. It is no surprise that the breath would be so remarkably linked to the power of healing.

This is another extremely simple method that initiates the relaxation response. Begin by taking slow deep breaths. Repeat these messages to yourself.

"My hands and arms are heavy and warm" (5 times).

"My feet and legs are heavy and warm" (5 times).

"My abdomen is warm and comfortable" (5 times).

"My breathing is deep and even" (10 times).

"My heartbeat is calm and regular" (10 times). "My forehead is cool" (5 times).

"When I open my eyes, I will remain relaxed and refreshed" (3 times).

Application Suggestions:

Health maintenance: 2 to 3 sessions per day.

Health enhancement: 6 to 10 sessions per day.

Disease intervention: Start slowly and build up to 10 to 15 sessions per day. Until you are well you have time to do this.

Getting started: 2 to 3 sessions per day.

I don't know about the breathing and balancing brain hemispheres, but I do know that citing affirmations isn't going to get anything done by just citing them. I can tell myself all day long that I'm superman and can fly, and you know full well what's going to happen if I did that and then stepped off the roof of a highrise building.

I do know that citing affirmations isn't going to get anything done by just citing them
The devil is in the details as folks round here like to say. I strongly suspect you are mistaken in this case, as I recall having read various articles on research confirming that affirmations do have a positive impact on health, but I'll look into that too.

Dunno anything about balancing of hemispheres but I do remember reading somewhere ( maybe the section of brief-read weird news in the newspapers)
that scientific study showed beneficial effect of yogi alternate breathing on immune system.

It is true that our nostrils are never equally open.

I' ve been practicing hatha yoga for several years now. We always begin session with alternate breathing and sometimes one of my nostrils is almost completely closed.
The way its done in hatha yoga is that inhale should last 4 counts, holding brath in the lungs and stomach 16 counts and exhale 8 counts. This ratio can be extended as you advance.
The effects I noticed are increased focus, deeper relaxation and also more balanced breathing

Miss Isness said:
I do know that citing affirmations isn't going to get anything done by just citing them
The devil is in the details as folks round here like to say. I strongly suspect you are mistaken in this case, as I recall having read various articles on research confirming that affirmations do have a positive impact on health, but I'll look into that too.
Not trying to be rude here, but I just checked, I can't fly, and my stomach still hurts even though I affirmed to myself that it would stop.

Bottom line is that for any affirmation to work, work must be done to make it so otherwise it's probably just wishful thinking. So for example, if you tell yourself that you're losing weight it ain't gonna happen if you keep eating more calories than your body burns, and likewise your breath won't be even unless you stop holding it and breath evenly.

mark said:
Bottom line is that for any affirmation to work, work must be done to make it so otherwise it's probably just wishful thinking. So for example, if you tell yourself that you're losing weight it ain't gonna happen if you keep eating more calories than your body burns, and likewise your breath won't be even unless you stop holding it and breath evenly.
Hi Mark,

I think you may have mis-read Miss Isness. She wrote:

This is another extremely simple method that initiates the relaxation response. (emphasis mine) Begin by taking slow deep breaths. Repeat these messages to yourself.
These statements are only images that encourage the body into a more relaxed state. The suggestions are very vivid which makes them most effective for doing so. In such states the body's immune system responds more efficiently, with circulation especially being improved, Even allopathic medicine is making some use of these techniques.

There's a big difference between that and "affirmations", ie "I am becoming smarter, wealthier, skinnier" whatever. Maybe the word itself is what is bothering you?

Herondancer

herondancer said:
There's a big difference between that and "affirmations", ie "I am becoming smarter, wealthier, skinnier" whatever. Maybe the word itself is what is bothering you?

Herondancer
It's not bothering me. I was pointing out that saying something isn't the same as doing something.

Combine the self-suggestions with some seemingly random number of times to say them and suddenly I'm wondering how much good any of it does.

Then again I'm not a doctor or neuroscientist or allopath, so maybe there are subtle effects that I don't know about.

mark said:
but I do know that citing affirmations isn't going to get anything done by just citing them. I can tell myself all day long that I'm superman and can fly, and you know full well what's going to happen if I did that and then stepped off the roof of a highrise building.
Well, unfortunately God gave you a brain instead of wings. :D Our brains are much more mysterious and difficult to work out than a set of wings. I'm still trying to get mine to work properly. I'm going to give it a go and see what it does for my yin/yang imbalance. I'll leave flying to the pilots, birds and those who purchase airline tickets.

Heron Dancer wrote:
These statements are only images that encourage the body into a more relaxed state.
The suggestions are very vivid which makes them most effective for doing so. In such states the body's immune system responds more efficiently, with circulation especially being improved, Even allopathic medicine is making some use of these techniques.
Exactly! I also read that there is a fine line between healthy optimism and denial. It's important that unrealistic expectations don't interfere with taking necessary precautions.

Mark wrote:
I was pointing out that saying something isn't the same as doing something.
Actually, on the basis of the studies I've just read there's plenty of research that establishes the link between what you think, and how you feel emotionally, and how you feel emotionally with physical health/ immune response. So, if you consider improving your immune response 'doing something' then thinking positive thoughts is synonymous with doing something, and it would appear that the same applies in regards to reducing pain according to the following article:

Last Updated: Monday, 5 September 2005, 23:31 GMT 00:31 UK
Positive thinking a pain reliever
Expectations about pain can affect its intensity
US experts say they have strong scientific proof that mind over matter works for relieving pain.

Positive thinking was as powerful as a shot of morphine for relieving pain and reduced activity in parts of the brain that process pain information.

The Wake Forest University researchers say their findings show that by merely expecting pain to be less it will be less.

Their work is published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Positive thinking

Dr Robert Coghill and his team studied 10 normal, healthy volunteers who had a heat simulator applied to their legs while their brains were being scanned using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI).

The heat simulator was used to produce pain and fMRI was used to map brain activity.

The brain can powerfully shape pain
Researcher Dr Robert Coghill

Before subjects underwent brain imaging, they learned to expect mild, moderate, or severe painful heat stimuli following different signals. None of the stimuli were hot enough to cause burns or damage the skin.

During brain imaging, a small percentage of the severe stimuli were incorrectly signalled as moderate stimuli to create expectations of decreased pain.

All 10 volunteers reported less pain when they expected lower levels of pain.

These expectations reduced reports of pain by more than 28% - similar to an analgesic dose of the potent painkiller morphine.

At the same time, activity in areas of the brain important to both sensory and emotional processing of pain decreased. These areas included the primary somatosensory cortex, the insular cortex and the anterior cingulate cortex.

More than just pills

Dr Coghill explained: "Pain is not solely the result of signals coming from an injured body region.

"Pain needs to be treated with more than just pills. The brain can powerfully shape pain, and we need to exploit its power."

He said the findings underscored the potential of cognitive therapy for the treatment of pain.

This study goes some way to explaining the positive impact of these psychological techniques in chronic pain states
Dr Beverly Collette, president of the British Pain Society

Dr Ed Keogh, a psychologist and pain researcher from the University of Bath, said: "For some time now we have known that psychological factors such as expectations play a role in the perception and experience of pain.

"This work is intriguing as it aims to identify specific brain regions linked to both the pain experience and expectations associated with pain.

"By empirically demonstrating such links, such research adds weight to the notion that how we think can effect what we feel. This is turn may have important implications for the way in which we prepare people for potentially painful events such as going to the dentist, childbirth or an operation."

Dr Beverly Collette, president of the British Pain Society, said: "Most people who work in pain clinics use cognitive therapy to help people manage their pain better.

"This study goes some way to explaining the positive impact of these psychological techniques in chronic pain states. " http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4215078.stm
I have long been a involved in the healing arts, and when it comes to the cessation of acute pain, I can say that in my experience the combination of positive thinking and a physical remedy (herbs, homeopathic, massage, a warm bath, etc) is usually the most effective. There are also times when it's necessary to go the conventional route. A lot depends on a person's belief structures about healing, and the type of illness. I'm not suggesting that people should ignore their symptoms or fail to seek appropriate treatment.

As for neuroscience research regarding alternate nostril breathing, there are some indications that some reasearch was done at UCLA, but I haven't found a reliable source yet. Will keep looking....

Miss Isness said:
So, if you consider improving your immune response 'doing something' then thinking positive thoughts is synonymous with doing something
And I think this is an essential point, and not solely regarding our physical immune system. Thinking 'positive thoughts' is also seeing reality as it is, i.e. seeing the nature of the pathocracy. Once we do that and deprogram ourselves, I think there could also be benefits to our physical health too because it seems to relieve programs of stress that considers 'humanity as evil' as well as other destructive programming that could cause our health to decline.

Miss Isness said:
Expectations about pain can affect its intensity
US experts say they have strong scientific proof that mind over matter works for relieving pain.

Positive thinking was as powerful as a shot of morphine for relieving pain and reduced activity in parts of the brain that process pain information.
Thanks for the info. I'll try it next time I'm hurting.

As an aside here I once had to take some morphine for pain and it didn't help :( I sure wanted it to!

Mark

Ok, it looks like the hemisphere balancing claims are legit. See:

_http://www.yogameditation.com/articles/issues_of_bindu/bindu_13/nadi_shodanas_influence_on_the_brain

_http://www.causeof.org/dominance.htm

_http://www.cnsspectrums.com/aspx/articledetail.aspx?articleid=1163

Mark wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'll try it next time I'm hurting.
My pleasure - hope it helps :)

<< Western science did not notice this phenomena until the 1800's. >>

I've noticed the effect from about the age of sixteen. The cycle is about three-to-four days of one side being dominant, then the other side, though the timing varies. I am always aware of which side is dominant. Many things smell markedly differently to me depending on which nostril is dominant. Also, I have a mild asthma that can induce rapid heartbeat, which cannot be calmed easily unless air is inhaled via the nose, and via the left nostril in particular. I always "favor" the left nostril, meaning that I'm bothered if it is blocked, but not bothered if the right side is. In general, I find the difference between them to be an annoyance because performance is not equal between them.

Miss Isness said:
Ok, it looks like the hemisphere balancing claims are legit. See:

http://www.yogameditation.com/articles/issues_of_bindu/bindu_13/nadi_shodanas_influence_on_the_brain

http://www.causeof.org/dominance.htm

http://www.cnsspectrums.com/aspx/articledetail.aspx?articleid=1163

My pleasure - hope it helps :)
My wife is a Health Kinesiology practitioner and she wanted to say the following about the hemisphere balancing:

"Hello Isness,

There is an exercice in kinesiology called the Cross-crawl or Energy crossover which is a great exercice to balance the two hemispheres. As you probably know, the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and the right side of the brain the left side of the body. Your energy is supposed to cross from one side to the other to keep you in energy balanced. But in many people, it actually doesn't and stay on one side (homolateral), often because people tend to use the left side of the brain a lot. This exercice remedies this problem. You can find a complete explanation of the exercice if you go there:

http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/HealingTechniques/cross_crawl_exercise.htm

When your "brains" are not in sync, you may experience dizziness, learning difficulty, mixing up right with left, etc. In many ways you are only functioning at 50% of your capacity. Of course, if someone is abusing their body with an improper lifestyle (heavy alcohol consumption, poor diet, lack of exercice, etc.), this exercice cannot compensate for that behaviour. But I have seen in many of my patients and in myself a change for the better when doing this exercice in sets of 20-30 times once or twice a day, every day.
I usually do it just before a session and it really helps me to be focused.
Hope this helps!"

Back
Top Bottom