Amazing self playing orchestras from the past

aragorn

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
A while ago I visited a museum that exhibited various inventions from the past, starting from ca 200 years ago, and I was completely blown away with the level of complexity and geniality of some of the mechanical things that they built way back in time. Today almost everything is designed, programmed, and even 'printed' by computers, and I wonder if today's engineers would be able to invent and build some of those things. For instance, some of those complex and sturdy metal parts of some of those machines – it must have taken a lot of work and time to even craft those parts.
Of course they could today easily replicate those things, but when one thinks of how much less assistive tools and resources they had back in those days, you just have to marvel at their skill and inventive minds. People weren't more stupid a 100 years ago, and looking at some of the inventions I'm starting to think that they actually were a lot smarter than we're today!

Anyways, I sort of forgot about this thing for a while, but today my YouTube feed showed (for some weird reason) videos with ca 100 year old mechanical self playing orchestras that were quite amazing:

Quite fabulous really,. Production lines really did destroy the imagination and skills decimating the Guilds. The Lollards saw it coming but 'progress' couldn't be stopped.

Back
Top Bottom