American Dreamz - A satire of psychopathy or perversion of dream?

mamadrama

The Living Force
There are no real good reasons to watch this film, IMO. I was conned into it by my teenager who was home sick with a cold. Unless you have a warped sense of humor (which I usually have) that will be amused by the blatant and depraved manipulations of psychopathic characters (which I usually don't care to see) played by Hugh Grant and Mandy Moore, or if the idea of Dennis Quaid portraying a slightly dumber (maybe that's generous?), more religious, albeit less evil President Bush seems funny, or if you just genuinely need to see some psychopathy in action (even if it is of the Hollywood variety) because you have trouble spotting the tactics then you probably want to skip this movie. I hope it was made as a satire to point out the base and depraved notions depicted in much of American mass culture but I'm not sure. I didn't get to see the end because the dvd was scratched so I'll never know. That is unless one of you trusting souls out there was also duped into watching this flick or if another one of you has absolutely nothing better to do and can tell me your take on this inanity. Sadly, though, I'm afraid it is merely a silly film that manages to meagerly evoke a grotesque metaphor of the perversion of the "American Dream" of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

I, too, watched this with a teenager. (Who else would rent this?)

What was surprising was the portrayals of the psychopathic characters played by Mandy Moore and Hugh Grant. They were both completely selfish, cruel and unable to empathize with ordinary people, but almost immediately they recognized each other. The movie really emphasized this phenomena - that each felt a kindred spirit in the other, and that both of them realized they weren't like other people. This was an odd thing to see in such a fluff movie, especially since the more typical scenario is that the "evil" people are just unaware that they are cruel and destructive and all it takes is for them to wake up and change their ways ("Last Holiday" for instance). But these two were completely without conscience to begin with, and completely unredeemable.

The rest of it was cute in places and I must admit I laughed a lot. (Maybe I have seen too many dopey teen flicks!)

Susan

Back
Top Bottom