Animals, OPs, and psychic phenomena

whitecoast

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I've heard of some instances of animals like pets exhibiting extrasensory perception, such as knowing when their owner was going to be home, et cetera. I was also informed that the souls of OPs are halfway between animals and individuated humans. But doesn't an organism require higher centers for thought and emotion to be capable of psi phenomena? Since OPs are alleged to lack higher centers, as are animals, how is it that some animals can use ESP? One possible explanation I came up with is that, if psi is found to be predominantly more common in domestic animals than non-domestic, then it's possible the psi is a biproduct of animals assimilating higher hydrogens from individuated human owners and the like. If this is the case, then psi phenomena should also theoretically be at least just as common among OPs.

I acknowledge I could be making a few unwarranted assumptions in my theorizing (wiseacring?) but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. (To mods: I'm not sure if this belongs in 2D or psi, so feel free to move this somewhere appropriate.)

whitecoast said:
I've heard of some instances of animals like pets exhibiting extrasensory perception, such as knowing when their owner was going to be home, et cetera. I was also informed that the souls of OPs are halfway between animals and individuated humans.

'Halfway' might be taking things too literally. It's my understanding that it is a spectrum of growth, not a linear halfway sort of thing. Some may be 1/10th the way to individuation, some may be 9/10ths the way. Of course, the entire OP hypothesis is just that, a working hypothesis.

wc said:
But doesn't an organism require higher centers for thought and emotion to be capable of psi phenomena?

Why would you think that? It's my understanding that most animals are telepathic and that if we human beings weren't so genetically tinkered with, we would be as well, but we lost that 'along the way'.

wc said:
Since OPs are alleged to lack higher centers, as are animals, how is it that some animals can use ESP? One possible explanation I came up with is that, if psi is found to be predominantly more common in domestic animals than non-domestic, then it's possible the psi is a biproduct of animals assimilating higher hydrogens from individuated human owners and the like. If this is the case, then psi phenomena should also theoretically be at least just as common among OPs.

I think you're basing your wise-acring on some faulty assumptions about ESP and telepathy and such. I also think that you're trying to assign a linear order to things that simply don't have a linear order. Just my take, though.

As Hamlet said, "there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy". In short, we just don't know.

I don't think telepathy or ESP is at all uncommon and would imagine that most embodied creatures possess such abilities to one extent or another. fwiw.

Oh okay thanks anart- that makes more sense re: animals using psi but most people not being capable. I think I got some if those assumptions from 4th way books like Mouravieff's Gnosis Book One, and Ouspensky's 4the Way, which said that people need to consciously access higher centers to be capable of psi; but OPs apparently are said to lack those centers in Gnosis 3. But I guess I assumed animal and human lower centers are functionally equivalent in terms of psychic potential.

whitecoast said:
I've heard of some instances of animals like pets exhibiting extrasensory perception, such as knowing when their owner was going to be home, et cetera. I was also informed that the souls of OPs are halfway between animals and individuated humans. But doesn't an organism require higher centers for thought and emotion to be capable of psi phenomena?
whitecoast said:
I think I got some if those assumptions from 4th way books like Mouravieff's Gnosis Book One, and Ouspensky's 4the Way, which said that people need to consciously access higher centers to be capable of psi;

Hi Whitecoast,
I cannot recollect any references in Mouravieff's Gnosis Books about the relationship between higher centers and psi. If you found such a reference, can you please quote the page number here?

It’s my understanding that the higher centers consciously apprehend objective reality whereas apart from them there is always subjectivity involved, and that certainly does not exclude psi abilities. Fwiw-

Hi Whitecoast,
I cannot recollect any references in Mouravieff's Gnosis Books about the relationship between higher centers and psi. If you found such a reference, can you please quote the page number here?
In Exoterica, part 1 chapter 7, Mouravieff speaks of those level 5 and up acquiring faculties and powers, which he calls gifts of the holy spirit. The abilities of 5 and 6 were to perceive the truth of a.situation either as images/symbols or directly, depending on if it was through the higher emotional or intellectual center, respectively. I interpreted these as being clairvoyance and clairsentience, respectively. Maybe this was a stretch in my part though, either to equate these gifts with psi, or to lump clairvoyance and clairsentience with telepathy, telekineses, et cetera, as they may have entirely different modes of action or activation.

whitecoast said:
Hi Whitecoast,
In Exoterica, part 1 chapter 7, Mouravieff speaks of those level 5 and up acquiring faculties and powers, which he calls gifts of the holy spirit. The abilities of 5 and 6 were to perceive the truth of a.situation either as images/symbols or directly, depending on if it was through the higher emotional or intellectual center, respectively. I interpreted these as being clairvoyance and clairsentience, respectively. Maybe this was a stretch in my part though, either to equate these gifts with psi, or to lump clairvoyance and clairsentience with telepathy, telekineses, et cetera, as they may have entirely different modes of action or activation.

If you've read the Wave, you'll note the part where Laura points out that psi abilities do not necessarily mean that one is spiritually advanced. They are often merely genetic manifestations. I think you might be applying your current understanding to what Mouravieff is talking about and going off course just a bit. That's okay, it's what everyone does, but the key is to deeply question all of your own conclusions, rather than looking for proof to back them up. If you can learn to first look for proof that you're wrong, it's a good first step. fwiw.

Hi whitecoast,

Thanks for the gnosis reference. Psi refers to modes of cognition which are beyond what science has defined as normal. Animals do display abilities that we categorize under the psi class. Animals may only have the lower centers as part of their natural endowment but if they are working in proper order, they are perhaps closer to objective reality than us human beings in our state of profound sleep along with intellectual arrogance. Who knows - if human beings had their lower centers in proper working order, maybe some of what we call psi today could have been taken as normal. One can speculate that if we could truly be human rather than the strange somnambulant state that we find ourselves in, our view of reality and our abilities to interact with it would be very different than the current state of affairs.
The higher centers probably impart an unimaginably richer view of reality than what we are accustomed to - so their effect could far excceed what we understand as psi today. My speculative thoughts on this- fwiw.

Back
Top Bottom