Another annoying book question...

Lirpa

Jedi Master
Which one of the Gurdjieff books should I start with?

Which one of the Ouspensky books?

In Search of the Miraculous is a great book to start off with, but you couldn't go wrong if you read Meetings with Remarkable Men first either. ISOTM is the only Ouspensky book I've ever read, so I don't know about the order of the those...

I think the first O. book I tried was 'The Fourth Way' - while I liked it, I never read it all the way through cause of the way it is styled, which is all a question and answer format. I thought ISOTM was a better intro book. Mouravieff's "Gnosis I" is also essential for getting the basics down.

In October I started to read Life is real only then, when ' I am' by Gurdjieff
I really struggled with the material and felt I was not quite understanding the work, a friend suggested reading Struggle of the Magicians why Uspenskii left Gurdjieff by William Patrick Patterson. This book explores the Teacher-Student relationship and gives a chronological time line of the relationship between Gurdjieff and Uspenskii and the political events that were transpiring at the time. This book gave me a lot of insight and helped me understand Gurdjeiff's writing style and approach. I recommend this book as well as Meetings with Remarkable Men

Back
Top Bottom