At the Mountains of Madness by Lovecraft

susy7

Jedi Master
Has anyone read Lovecraft's Hallucinated Mountains? Written in 1936, it tells the story of an expedition to Antarctica during which scientists find an ancient city built by aliens. How could this man have had the sophistication to reveal to us these underground cities built by evil aliens?

Haven’t read it but on the same topic I recall a New Zealand made documentary we watched a few years ago about some strange occurrences in Antartica when a New Zealand man (perhaps scientist) went missing and some strangeness surrounding the incident. I’m trying to track the documentary down again in light of this new session information.

Has anyone read Lovecraft's Hallucinated Mountains? Written in 1936, it tells the story of an expedition to Antarctica during which scientists find an ancient city built by aliens. How could this man have had the sophistication to reveal to us these underground cities built by evil aliens?

I've read this story a couple of times as well as almost everything else by Lovecraft. I've even visited his former residence in Red Hook, Brooklyn.

I think it's a fair criticism that much of his writing is overly-dramatic and dripping with pervasive "doom". But the stories are fascinating conceptually and I haven't come across anything from that era or immediately after that's quite as creative or terrifying. Wherever Lovecraft received his inspiration it doesn't seem to have been a direct inspiration from any writer I've found. His world is one of constant hyper-dimensional downloading of evil that moves in cycles, but is always lurking in some unknown corner of the globe looking to re-emerge and dominate the world with its ancient plans.

He wrote a large number of stories but if you wanted to start with a couple that introduce his world, I would suggest "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and "The Call of Cthulu". When I first read Lovecraft 40 years ago, I thought it was wildly fantastic horror, but had no basis in reality. Now, I'm not sure it's all fantasy...

One cryptic comment the C's made during the Sep.18.2021 session really surprised me and I would love to know more...

(Artemis) Is Cthulhu coming to smite people for their insolence?

A: Close

I've read this story a couple of times as well as almost everything else by Lovecraft. I've even visited his former residence in Red Hook, Brooklyn.

I think it's a fair criticism that much of his writing is overly-dramatic and dripping with pervasive "doom". But the stories are fascinating conceptually and I haven't come across anything from that era or immediately after that's quite as creative or terrifying. Wherever Lovecraft received his inspiration it doesn't seem to have been a direct inspiration from any writer I've found. His world is one of constant hyper-dimensional downloading of evil that moves in cycles, but is always lurking in some unknown corner of the globe looking to re-emerge and dominate the world with its ancient plans.

He wrote a large number of stories but if you wanted to start with a couple that introduce his world, I would suggest "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and "The Call of Cthulu". When I first read Lovecraft 40 years ago, I thought it was wildly fantastic horror, but had no basis in reality. Now, I'm not sure it's all fantasy...

One cryptic comment the C's made during the Sep.18.2021 session really surprised me and I would love to know more...
The creative imagination on the level of theophany according to the Sufis, it is possible that his "creation" came to him from elsewhere, not being able to express his visions he perhaps put them down on paper?

The creative imagination on the level of theophany according to the Sufis, it is possible that his "creation" came to him from elsewhere, not being able to express his visions he perhaps put them down on paper?
I misspoke, it may be possible that he received perceptions of realities that very few people have as, which, unable to express it, he wrote about in novels.

Back
Top Bottom