Australian International Airports: Full Body Scanners

Arwenn

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
The children & I fly out in a couple of days, and I am terrified that we may be subjected to this. It is totally draconian, and there is a no-opt out policy, even children above the height of 140 cm may be asked to go through the scanners. This is the dribble from the Aussie Govt:

http://travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/bodyscanners/faq.aspx
What are body scanners?
Body scanners represent the most advanced passenger screening technology available and can detect a range of sophisticated threats on a person's body or within their clothing. Body scanners can detect both metallic and non-metallic items, including prohibited items, components of improvised explosive devices and weapons. Body scanners are a proven technology and have been used overseas for aviation security screening purposes since 2007. All body scanners used in Australia have undergone stringent testing in line with aviation security standards to ensure their effectiveness.

Why are body scanners only being introduced at international airports?
Australia's aviation security regime is based on an intelligence-led assessment of risk. Aircraft departing international airports in Australia are exposed to a variety of risks that are not present, or are less pronounced, in the domestic context.

What other countries have introduced body scanners?
Body scanners are used for aviation security screening in several other countries including the United States of America, Canada, the United Kingdom, Thailand and the Netherlands.

How will people be selected for a body scan?
Any person may be selected to undergo a body scan on a random basis. Selection will not be based on race, age or religion.

Why a no opt-out policy?
Body scanning technology can identify a variety of sophisticated threats that cannot be detected by existing screening technology. Walk through metal detectors and the style of frisk search currently used at Australian airports simply cannot provide the same security outcome a body scanner can.

The only method of screening that could provide a similar security outcome to that of a body scanner is the type of invasive full body frisk search conducted overseas. The Government has been resolute in not introducing such searches as part of our airport security arrangements. For this reason and in the interests of security and privacy, passengers selected for body scanner screening cannot choose inferior or significantly intrusive alternatives. Accordingly, the Government has decided a no opt-out policy will be enforced in relation to screening at airports.

What if I refuse a body scan?
If a person refuses to undergo a body scan, and they have no medical or physical condition which prevents them for undertaking a body scan, they will be refused clearance and not allowed to pass through the screening point. They therefore will not be allowed to board their aircraft. This policy not only applies to passengers, but also to pilots, other aircrew, government officers and airport staff.

What if I can't go through the body scanner due to health issues?
The Government understands some people will be unable to undergo a body scan for a variety of reasons. In order to undergo a body scan, a person must be able to stand upright and still for several seconds with their hands above their head.

Persons with medical or physical conditions that prevent them from undertaking a body scan will be offered alternative screening methods suitable to their circumstances. These alternative screening methods will consist of those already used at Australia's aviation security screening points.

Will children be selected for a body scan?
Infants and young children under 140cms will not be selected to undergo a body scan.

Are there any health risks associated with body scanners?
Body scanners at Australian international airports use non-ionising radio frequency energy in the millimetre-wave spectrum. Other parts of the radio frequency spectrum are utilised by many devices in every day public use, such as mobile phones and wireless network devices.

The level of energy emitted by the body scanner is many thousands of times less than the maximum permissible exposure levels for the public specified in the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency Radiation Protection Standard which sets a maximum permissible exposure level for members of the public, including children.

What type of technology does the body scanner use?
Body scanners at Australian international airports use non-ionising radio frequency energy in the millimetre-wave spectrum. The energy emitted from a scan is approximately 10,000 times less than a single mobile phone transmission and comparable to passive exposure from someone else using a mobile phone several metres away.

What about radiation from X-rays?
Body scanners used for aviation security screening in Australia do not use X-ray technology.

Why has the European Union banned body scanners?
The European Union adopted legislation on 14 November 2011 to restrict body scanners to types which do not use X-ray technology. The same restrictions apply in Australia.

What about people with cancer or a high history of radiation exposure?
Millimetre-wave body scanners do not emit ionising radiation and hence do not have the same safety concerns as those body scanners using X-ray technology.

What about reports on the danger of terahertz technology?
The body scanners that will be used in Australia operate in the very lower end of the millimetre-wave spectrum, around the 30 GHz frequency. The terahertz frequency field encompasses the 300 GHz 3 THz frequency range. As such, reports on terahertz technology do not raise concerns about the proposed introduction of millimetre-wave body scanners.

All I can say is :O :scared: :O :scared: Nothing to see here folks, we just want to irradiate the crap out of y'all, kids and pregnant women included.

Wikipedia has this to say about the terahertz technology, that some results show that it splits strands of DNA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millimeter_wave_scanner
A millimeter wave scanner is a whole-body imaging device used for detecting objects concealed underneath a person’s clothing using a form of electromagnetic radiation. Typical uses for this technology include detection of items for commercial loss prevention, smuggling and screening at government buildings and airport security checkpoints. Several countries employ the scanners for security screening.[1]

It is one of the common technologies of full body scanner used for body imaging; a competing technology is backscatter X-ray. Millimeter wave scanners themselves come in two varieties: active and passive. Active scanners direct millimeter wave energy at the subject and then interpret the reflected energy. Passive systems create images using only ambient radiation and radiation emitted from the human body or objects.[2][3][4]

Recent studies have called the safety of this technology into question. A team led by Los Alamos National Laboratory found that although the forces these waves exert on double-stranded DNA are tiny, in certain circumstances resonant effects can unzip the DNA strands, tearing them apart. This creates bubbles in the strands that can significantly interfere with processes such as gene expression and DNA replication, which can create highly mutagenic states predisposing to neoplastic (i.e., cancerous) growths.

For those of us that travel, it looks like we need to have methods to protect ourselves. From the Heathrow Body Scanner thread, there is this reply from Chu about using DMSO to shield off X-rays.
Chu said:
There is also DMSO.

Odyssey said:
From DMSO: Nature's Healer by Morton Walker: pg. 53

When DMSO is painted on the leg of a rat the leg is shieled from the effects of x-rays

The radioprotective properties of DMSO were originally reported in 1961. DMSO safeguards a number of cells, cellular systems, and whole animals against the letal and mutagenic effects of X-rays.

Worth a try! Have you used DMSO before? You can read a lot about it on the forum. You may smell like a sparragus or a rotten egg for a day or two, but if you drink lots of water, it's not so strong.

My question is, is it best to ingest it, or use the DMSO cream (I have rose scented)? What dosages of DMSO do I give the children (ages 15 and 13)? I have also come across some flower essences (eg Yarrow Special Formula, Electro essence) that suggest some protection , but no hard science to back it up. I also have been taking Iodine as a supplement, and thought I might give that to the kids as well before we fly out. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Passengers will have to enter the cabin the size of a phone booth, stretch your legs, raise your hands and be subject to review. Can you cite a fear of enclosed spaces as a reason?

Thanks Casper, somehow I just don't think it'll wash with these guys, but I will look I into it. So far, DMSO seems to be the only option I have right now as a form of protection. Thanks for your suggestion.

Sorry to hear that, Arwenn. Unfortunately they have it too in the Netherlands as the article suggested, I've been through one about three times now if I remember correctly. I'm not sure about the DMSO dose, perhaps others could chime in on that. But I found this that might help:

_http://www.naturalhealth365.com/science_news/body-scanners.html

Here are a few things that you can do to mitigate the effects of the radiation on your body:

1. Iodine supplements that contains a potassium iodide and iodine, helps to protect the thyroid by keeping the hormone receptors full, so that the radioactive iodine will then have no room to land. Check your Iodine levels to see how deficient you are before you begin supplementation.

2. Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant and is a free radical scavenger: Take at least 5000 mgs of Vitamin C every day.

3. Chlorella has a unique ability to bind with heavy metals and other toxins. Studies conducted in India in 1995 reported the radio-protective effect chlorella had on animals suffering from radiation exposure.

4. Trace minerals like selenium and zinc provide protection.

5. Plant based antioxidants that can be found in resveratrol and Curcumin are very powerful.

Obviously, it is impossible to avoid radiation because it has engulfed our planet. But you can take a few simple steps to insure that your body has the capacity to detoxify and repair the damage from daily exposure to radiation.

And I would think that knowledge about its effects can be protective as well. Safe travels!

1. Iodine supplements that contains a potassium iodide and iodine, helps to protect the thyroid by keeping the hormone receptors full, so that the radioactive iodine will then have no room to land. Check your Iodine levels to see how deficient you are before you begin supplementation.

I bought some Lugol's Solution 2 years ago just after I had TSH test that showed low iodine. I took 9 drops a week of Lugols ( 3 drops in my morning tea, 3 days a week) over a span of 10 weeks. then I had another test done. My TSH rose by 44%.
My wife had a TSH test last October with a reading of 1.23, and this spring she got some Magnascent iodine. It is less concentrated but more absorbent. She took 10 drops in her coffee every morning for 3 weeks and her follow up TSH test had a reading of 2.88 for an increase of 134%.
I know that TSH is a poor indicator of the Iodine levels inside the cells but if you read anything about Dr Brownstein and his Iodine research you'll find that it benefits much much more than just the thyroid.

Have you looked at grape seed extract? I seem to remember it was good for protecting against radiation.

Back
Top Bottom