Books for kids?

One of the best things about being a parent, for me, has been to explore a plethora of books for children that otherwise I'd have never got to read. I read to my little one every day since age one or two and most of the time, I enjoyed the stories (and the beautiful drawings in some albums) as much as her, if not even more. I was especially thrilled when a story would find the simple words to teach life lessons I deemed important, that I wouldn't have found the words to teach her otherwise. She's ten today and despite her knowing very well how to read by herself, she still asks me to read to her before bed. We started reading longer books and she discovered what it is to wait for the next day to find out about what happened next, as compared to short stories that we finish on a single session. We read in French, but there are three books she has loved reading recently and even asked to read again that were originally written in English
- The Ickabog, by Rowling
- The Christmas Pig, by the same
- Kensuke's Kingdom, by Michael Morpurgo
The three of them are page turners packed with wisdom about life, friendship, the reality of our cruel and beautiful World... I found The Ickabog to be very much to the point in the context of the 2020+ craziness, which is why I would recommend it even to adults as a metaphore for what happened. :)

Back
Top Bottom