Broken brain

Z...

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I really enjoyed this very informative documentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yzXp2folnA&t=300s

so far only part 1 and 2 are out

In a nutshell its about body-brain connection, functional medicine and how brain problems cannot be solved without taking into the account total body status.

I received links in my email about this documentary. I found the first episode very weak. I felt it was trying to sell something and holding back on information. They really did something good with the latest episode though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ZpraGnQ4s

I was actually surprised how much of the knowledge in the diet section here is reported in this episode.

The episodes only work for a certain time so be quick if you want to watch. A little trick I use is the site: Listen to Youtube. It allows me to make an MP3 out of any youtube video.
But be warned, the site is a minefield of popups !! for those who are used to spot the fake links you will be able to navigate safely those who are not used to that might fall into the trap of downloading unwanted crap.
There are other sites offering this kind of service but when it's free often there are some click baits so be warned.

Thanks for the summary Espirit. There is already a thread on it here. Given some of the information on the NeuroFeedback thread and Healing Developmental Trauma book, it would make sense to look at healing from both a top down and bottom up approach. Perhaps the mods can merge the two threads.

The series was launched some months ago and I'm guessing it had such a great audience that they decided to launch it back again. The experts and people that give testimonies really provide a lot of information. This topics have been very well covered in the forum; especially how are diet and lifestyle impact our brains, but having more info in the tool box is always great.

As part of these videos, there is also the following interview with Dr. Rangan Chatterjee.

https://youtu.be/uHzJa2tDf4k

Dr. Chatterjee - he has a show on the BBC called Dr in the house, where he actually goes to his patients homes and really looks into the patterns of their lifestyles.

From his website: https://drchatterjee.com/about/

We have over complicated health. I want to simplify it.
I’ve practiced medicine for nearly 20 years and I’m taking a stand. People are needlessly suffering and this is preventable and unacceptable.

After many years of seeing patients, I have come to the realisation that all of us can feel much better than we currently do. In fact, good health is accessible to every single one of us – the starting point is my ‘Four Pillars’.

It’s time to feel better than you ever have before.
Sadly, good health has become far too confusing and we’re up against bad information. How to best take care of yourself seems to change all of the time and doctors don’t appear to agree on anything. We’re still using 20th century thinking to solve 21st century problems.

As doctors, we’re largely taught to ‘cure illnesses’ by just treating symptoms. Our training is not as useful for the current epidemic of chronic lifestyle-related conditions that now flood our surgeries.

Some brief notes of the interview:

-Importance of watching out for patterns in the house, cause sometimes patients may omit information in an appointment.
-He often sees that people have too many carbs at home, breakfast cereals, refined breads with sugar, ready meals, softdrinks, diet drinks, etc,.
-He says that as experts sometimes they think that the message is actually getting out there, nonetheless people are still consuming these foods.
-Simple changes in nutrition shows results, without the necessity of using medication.
-We see every part separate from each other, brain from the body, heart from the liver, and we need to see that everything is interconnected.

Things that affect brain, 4 pillars

-We've got control over those pillars; what we eat, how we move, sleep and stress levels. Top 2 are food and how we manage our stress levels
-We never switch off; emails, fb, social media, etc. Hence our cortisol is too high for too long and that can damage the cells on our hypocampus.
-Recommends 10-15 of relaxing time (yoga, meditate, read) just focus on that one task.
-Stress causes a leaky brain
-Dr. Hyman asks him what is his approach and Dr. Chaterjee explains how he didn't learn this approach at medical school, but with the other education he has received outside about functional medicine.
-The key is to understand what the patient is eating, and with that he can make changes in their diet.
-Stool tests, community of the bugs for a correct function, the importance of diversity in the gut, and depending on that he will do the changes for the person.
-Of course mentions the importance of healthy fats, fatty fish, good quality meat.
-Creating a rainbow chart of food and the person has to tick off every colour every single day, to have appropriate nutrient consumption.
-Gut makes chemicals and then by the vagus nerve they attach to receptors in our brains.
-Fiber is key; plant foods. (not grains!)
-A lot of people say that this changes are "expensive". But 80% of it is free; -diet-reduce carbs and increase fats (that you can do it immediately)
-Movement. Self asses, simple alarm once every hour to remind you to get up and walk, drink more water so you can get up and go to the bathroom. Muscle and strength training.
-5 min kitchen workout
-7 min workout (Dr. Mark Hyman)
-Prioritize sleep
-Start with half an hour earlier. When you sleep better you actually make better food choices, have more energy and have a sharper brain.
-These are simple free interventions

How does Dr Chetterjee keeps his brain healthy

-he is prepared while traveling, if your not prepared your gonna find yourself tired, hungry.
-eat whole real food always.
-workout everyday; push ups, tricep dips and squats, it doesn't have to be an hour workout
.prioritize sleep; switch off at 8:30.
-weak spot, stress.
-5 mins meditation every morning after waking up, having the discipline to do it just right after waking up.

Video with the 5 min kitchen workout:

https://youtu.be/jtZB95-AVZM

Edit: spelling

Listened to this episode of the Broken Brain podcast that was posted recently on fascia, an extraordinary part of our bodies that according to some experts, the more profound research about it started just in recent years.

Fascia: The Connective Tissue That Keeps You Healthy with Dr. Shalini Bhat

Have you ever thought about how our organs are able to stay in place, exactly where they need to be? There is a stretchy webbing, or connective tissue, inside of our bodies called fascia that runs from head to toe around our organs and our muscles. We are learning more and more about this tissue, the role it plays in our health, and how to keep it healthy so you can feel your best.

Today, we dive into this topic with Functional Medicine practitioner Dr. Shalini Bhat, founder of The Movement Boutique in Toronto. Dr. Bhat and Dhru will start off by explaining what fascia is and why it’s so important. Then, they will talk in depth about how to keep fascia healthy through diet and movement—because after all, “motion is lotion.”

As a Functional Medicine doctor, Dr. Bhat is always interested in finding the root cause of issues, so you’ll also get to hear her perspective on how fascia may impact digestion and brain health. And, finally, if you want to hear some practical tips on things you can do to support healthy fascia in our daily lives, listen to the end!

In this episode, we dive into:

• Dr. Bhat’s background and education (4:18)
  • What is fascia? (12:16)
  • Discovering fascia is an organ with an important function (18:41)
  • Addressing nutrition to keep fascia healthy (20:30)
  • Fascia and digestion (27:32)
  • Does your fascia affect your brain health? (30:38)
  • How has technology impacted our fascia? (35:12)
  • Sitting properly in a chair and desk work (42:00)
  • Fascial release at home (46:46)
  • Finding root causes to help fascia (49:30)
  • Emotions stored in the body (54:33)
  • Where to find Dr. Bhat online (1:01:13)

Some articles on SOTT:
Fascia: Fascinating connective tissue
The gifts of fascia: How it can help us unravel deeply held tension

Back
Top Bottom