Buckwheat Muffins

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Today I made a batch of pancake batter but somehow wasn't paying close attention and it was WAY too thick and too much in the bowl to add enough liquid to thin it. It was THICK batter.

We put it in muffin pans, plopped a half-tsp of all-fruit jellies on top, and baked them until well browned. Absolutely yummy!

So, this combination of ingredients is quite versatile.

Here is my general way of making buckwheat pancakes:

(Best to use rice milk as it makes the cakes brown very nicely. I
haven't tried hemp milk, it may work as well, but definitely rice milk
works better than water.)

I usually make a batch in the morning for the day: 6 cups of flour, 3
heaping teaspoons baking powder, 2 rounded teaspoons sea salt. (Well
rounded; you need to salt buckwheat well or it is slightly bitter.)

Then, I start the mixer and let it mix the ingredients dry first.

Then, start dribbling the oil in: grapeseed or melted ghee. When it starts to
form little pea sized lumps, that's enough.

Then I add a liter of rice milk and a cup of water.
I let it mix in the mixer for about 5 minutes,
increasing the speed every minute or so. This makes it really smooth
and allows the stickiness of the buckwheat to activate.

They cook best on medium high heat. Don't make too big because they
break if they are too heavy. When bubbles start to form, flip over and
cook on the other side for a minute or two. Buckwheat is best cooked
fast and pretty hot instead of slow and long. If you do the latter, it
tends to make the texture not so fluffy.

If you make a big batch in the morning, you can do pancakes for everyone
and make a plateful of small ones for bread at other meals or snacks.
Always good to have on hand along with natural pure fruit jellies or
smoked salmon, hummus, different kinds of healthy spreads, etc.

We haven't tried the muffins with savory flavorings, but that's next! Onions and garlic and some herbs would make great side breads for soups, salads, stews and just having a big plate of bread on the table at meals.

A little update on the muffins:

Since we still have batter left, we just made (and ate ;)) a new batch with a little bit of maple syrup added to the batter. On some of them, instead of jelly we used bitter cocoa nibs (100%) They are yummylicious!

And it literally takes 5 minutes for preparation (as you can see on Laura's recipe) and about 15 mins for baking (at 200 degrees Celcius).

The last batch was plain, with just the pancake batter. They turned into beautiful round and fluffy breads.

Try them out! There is life after gluten. :D You don't need to be bored with food. You can experiment a lot with healthy ingredients.

Sounds delicious! Ever thought about making some pictures? :P

A quick question: is rice milk supposed to be sweet?

Sorry for asking, I just read on Wikipedia:

Rice milk is a kind of grain milk processed from rice. It is mostly made from brown rice and commonly unsweetened. The sweetness in most rice milk varieties is generated by a natural enzymatic process, cleaving the carbohydrates into sugars, especially glucose, similar to the Japanese Amazake[1]. Some rice milk kinds may nevertheless be sweetened with sugarcane syrup or other sugars.

Sounds good. I have been interested in baking while working around all the restrictions. A healthy cake, pie, or cookies would be awesome. Also, six cups of flour sounds like a lot! The little packages I get from Bob's Red Mill are probably only 3-4 cups of flour.

Thanks for the recipe! Ate some pancakes tonight that were great. Cooking them fast and hot definitely helped with the fluffiness. Now I can't wait to try the muffins. :ninja:

Finally had a chance to make these today...I must first admit that I am "pancake-challenged" (I always add a wrong ingredient or try to flip them too soon and break the pancakes). This morning I messed up by using baking soda rather than powder but was encouraged by how nice they looked! I couldn't believe they were made without eggs. I just now made very thin ones in the form of crepes and they look awesome. I am still getting used to the taste of these, something about buckwheat reminds me of plastic. I'm going to experiment with the amount of salt in them since that seems to make a big difference. With a little local butter and raw honey they are not too bad. I used almond milk and olive oil as the liquids and fried them in a little butter. I had two small cast iron pans (6 inch) going at once on the stove.

Also I made the date bread last week for a gathering and that was totally awesome, although for me the kicker was, it didn't taste like buckwheat! Ha.
Looking forward to more experimentation.

Just made the recipe to a t and ended up with 2 doz muffins, 1 log cake and one round(donut shape) cake, all from the one batch.

These I made with sultanas and dried pineapple. Unbelievably delicious for a gluten free treat.

Let's see, I think tomorrow's batch will be with fried onion and crispy bacon pieces... I hope I don't get carried away.... :P

Thank you Laura !

Ailén said:
A little update on the muffins:

Since we still have batter left, we just made (and ate ;)) a new batch with a little bit of maple syrup added to the batter. On some of them, instead of jelly we used bitter cocoa nibs (100%) They are yummylicious!

Tried using applesauce, (no sugar added) and or low sugar blue berry jam, as substitute for sweets in the buck wheat cake. Baked the same way in an convection oven. The picture is an illustration to the thickness and size. Cut in slices i pack em around, when the feeling of the hunger pangs kick in. Also have them with afternoon (non caffeinated) herbal tea as a pick me up. T.Y.L. and all for the baking tips. ;D

Attachments

• buckwheat_cake_recipe[1].jpg
    buckwheat_cake_recipe[1].jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom