“Can’t Hurt Me” by David Goggins

I read the book from start to finish, then read it again in sections that resonated with me. Maybe it was because I was in the marines and I had “something to prove” but his book brought me to tears.

I think perhaps his methods aren’t for everyone. But they are for me. They changed me. I believe if you have had moments in your life where you have endured extreme physical and psychological pain and have tried and failed to overcome it. This is a method of work for you.

I haven’t been able to run more than 1.5 miles without my shin bones fracturing since the military, but his book and his book showed me something I’ve never seen or applied before!

I just finished running 6 miles and not even phased to the degree I used to be because of his methods of viewing the mind as a separate entity. Further knowledge of intense dedicated stretching and painful but highly character building freezing showers helps IMMENSELY in recovery. Almost as if I didn’t run at all.

I must remind you, that this was NEVER about a physical achievement. It was about going into something that my mind officially declared was too painful and too fearful to endure. Every morning I fear putting my shoes on and doing this but every day that passes, the fear is weaker and weaker. This method of doing what you hate develops what he calls “armoring the mind”. And that is EXACTLY what is happening. Combining this with knowledge acquired from this forum and for some moments when the suffering is intense, a state of hyper awareness Is sensed. A separation from my mind is born and I talk to it, demanding it relinquish its lies and control over my pain and fear. When it doesn’t give, I push more to make it submit. If I’m lucky, there’s union and a harmony. A moment where the master once again controls the horse. And it feels amazing.

Anyone who struggles with anxiety, low self esteem, laziness, low accountability for themselves… I HIGHLY recommend this book. Then I highly recommend his lectures and podcasts. Combining what he had to go through and knowledge from the Cs and the group, this stuff is unlimited potential.
If you want to figure out how to train, take a look at some great Russian athletes. Aleksandr Karelin, Fedor Emelianenko or even Khabib from the UFC. These guys trained smart, they didn’t absolutely destroy themselves like Goggins does. They dominated their particular sports and there’s lots to be learned there about focused effort and discipline regarding training and what your body can do if you learn real training techniques.

Karelin in particular was just a physical specimen, absolutely dominating wrestling for years and only has one loss. He’s one of the few heavyweights who could toss another man over his head during a match, people were afraid to wrestle him. When they asked him who his hardest training partner was he said it was his refrigerator, he used to bear hug it and carry it up flights of stairs. Putin asked him to serve in politics after his career was over and he’s currently a senator.

Back
Top Bottom