Cat, woman and racoon

I want to share a dream I had recently.

It is evening dusk in my home city. Still cold, melting snow all around. I am at the square next to the local college. Its empty and quite. No people around. My point of view is slightly from the left. There is a pillar with a city light next to me and a bush. Light is switched off. I look to the rightmost corner of the square. My mother is approaching. Apart from her normal outfit for this time of the year she is wearing a colourful woollen shawl on her shoulders. She is walking slowly towards the pillar. In the dream I know that she usually switches on that light. However this time she passes by and disappears in one of the streets to my left. I know that I have to switch this city light on.

I approach it and I see a power switch on the pillar just next to the bush I mentioned before. I press the switch. Nothing happens. After a bit I start hearing sound of alarm. I look once again at the pillar. After a brief inspection I realize that there is another switch a bit lower. The one I pressed is used to trigger fire alarm. I switch off wrong power switch. It takes time for alarm to stop. All this time I am a bit anxious that the sound may wake up people in neighbourhood. Fire alarm finally stops I switch lights on. At that moment I realize that my mother is still there on my left watching what I do.

Than one of these unexplainable dream shift happens. I am with a woman I don't see. She is to my wright and she is not my mother. She speaks with the female cat in front of us. Cat has a long beautiful fur black and white in colour. Cat has some human features which I can not portray. It's something in her eyes, behavior, in a way she is. Cat has kittens. They leave. They leave to the left. The same direction my mother left. Cat is sad about that but at the same time determined. Woman next to me speaks with a cat about this departure.

After another shift. I find myself in some sort of channel standing on the water. A lot of green along the bank. Sunshine reflect on the water surface. It is approximately late spring or early summer.

I see woman in front of me. She is related to a cat somehow. She wears funky clothes. I cannot describe her outfit in any other way. She stands on a surface of the water too. By the way I am aware that water is not really shallow. The depth is fine. What attracts my attention straight away is that woman wears pink cheap hotel slippers. She speaks facing me and at the same time moves slowly in some dance pace backwards down the channel. To be precise she speaks to the cat (its strange I know:) and than to me. When she speaks to me I notice that these are the very same words as she told to a cat. I suspect her speech being some kind of recording. Woman has a raccoon chilling on her shoulders. He is a funny character of this dream. He stretches, makes some funny gestures and comments all the time.

This woman in funky clothes gives me bad vibes. Her sleepers... They prevent her feet from touching the water. Water is deep, that woman is light, playful, headlong, maybe shallow. Her premade speech. And raccoon who as I assume is there to distract from something significant.

[quote author=Zee Ley]
I suspect her speech being some kind of recording. Woman has a raccoon chilling on her shoulders. He is a funny character of this dream. He stretches, makes some funny gestures and comments all the time.
[/quote]

Hi. FWIW, your description above about the raccoon in your dream (even though it's a raccoon and not a cat) made me think of the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland.

Also this part:

[quote author=Zee Ley]
And raccoon who as I assume is there to distract from something significant.
[/quote]

Zee Ley said:
There is a pillar with a city light next to me and a bush. Light is switched off. I look to the rightmost corner of the square. My mother is approaching. Apart from her normal outfit for this time of the year she is wearing a colourful woollen shawl on her shoulders. She is walking slowly towards the pillar. In the dream I know that she usually switches on that light. However this time she passes by and disappears in one of the streets to my left. I know that I have to switch this city light on.

I approach it and I see a power switch on the pillar just next to the bush I mentioned before. I press the switch. Nothing happens. After a bit I start hearing sound of alarm. I look once again at the pillar. After a brief inspection I realize that there is another switch a bit lower. The one I pressed is used to trigger fire alarm. I switch off wrong power switch. It takes time for alarm to stop. All this time I am a bit anxious that the sound may wake up people in neighbourhood. Fire alarm finally stops I switch lights on. At that moment I realize that my mother is still there on my left watching what I do.

Well, the most obvious thing here is a description of trying to 'illuminate' your community and instead, pressing the fire alarm by accident! And then being worried that you might 'wake people up'! It seems you are a bit conflicted or worried by this action.

You see your mother as a person who normally 'illuminates' the community. Perhaps she is a teacher of some sort? But for some reason she doesn't do what she normally does, and the task is left to you.

About the raccoon, for some reason I get the expression 'monkey on one's back' which is an interesting description of an addiction or a problem that won't go away without serious effort.
https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-phrase-monkey-on-your-back-mean

I also think that in dreams, some of the images a person has, can have multiple meanings.

Hi. FWIW, your description above about the raccoon in your dream (even though it's a raccoon and not a cat) made me think of the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland.

Hi Cleo. Thank you. I have to admit that Cheshire Cat makes sense to me. Not in the direct way of course but who knows for sure that there is one single and correct way to interpret such thing as a dream.

From my behalf I can describe what Cheshire Cat made me think of. First of all I have an illustration of this character on my Oyster card* cover. John Tenniel's version which I guess is the classic one.
(*it's a travel card for London underground and other public transport)

Secondly the things that Cheshire Cat say imply certain "logic". Like here:

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'
Alice didn't think that proved it at all; however, she went on 'And how do you know that you're mad?'
'To begin with,' said the Cat, 'a dog's not mad. You grant that?'
'I suppose so,' said Alice.
'Well, then,' the Cat went on, 'you see, a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad.'

Cat and dog are already symbolical antagonists. And being mad here is defined by changing AB to BA. "Change places!" like Mad Hatter says.

I have never read Aristotle but I am sure I get logic in some way. It's obvious while interacting with people of strong beliefs/convictions.

There is God. What is not God is Devil. Everything that is is either God or Devil. Circle closes. Proper question cannot be raised here nothing new can appear because all the answers are already there in holy books. And book becomes holy in the mind of biased interpretator.

And lastly. From the perspective of mind described above black man, demon, shadow dreams have a certain meaning.

Dark man dreams are wake up calls. They say: Pay attention! Something has gone radically amiss in the outer world… The threat of the ‘dark man dreams’ serves as a warning to all of us – if you don’t pay attention, something will be stolen from you! The dreamer needs to be initiated so that whatever has been robbing her can be recognized, apprehended, and dealt with.

Could dark man in dream signify appearance of such a biased logic?

Well, the most obvious thing here is a description of trying to 'illuminate' your community and instead, pressing the fire alarm by accident! And then being worried that you might 'wake people up'! It seems you are a bit conflicted or worried by this action.

Thanks Ruth. I didn't see it from this point of view.

You see your mother as a person who normally 'illuminates' the community. Perhaps she is a teacher of some sort? But for some reason she doesn't do what she normally does, and the task is left to you.
I guess here mother appears in more symbolical way. In real life she is not a teacher.
It looks like there is something that from now on I am mature enough to do by myself.

Back
Top Bottom