Cats recognise their owners' voices but never evolved to care

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/cats-recognise-their-owners-voices-but-never-evolved-to-care-says-study-8966580.html

When hearing their names’ being called the cats displayed “orientating behaviour” (moving their heads and ears about to locate where the sound was coming from) and although they showed a greater response to their owner’s voices than strangers’, they declined to move when called by any of the volunteers.

“These results indicate that cats do not actively respond with communicative behavior to owners who are calling them from out of sight, even though they can distinguish their owners’ voices,” write Saito and Shinozuka. “This cat–owner relationship is in contrast to that with dogs.” ...

Recent genetic analysis has revealed that the common ancestor of the modern housecat was Felis silvestris, a species of wildcat that first came into contact with humans around 9,000 years ago. As early societies developed agriculture, these cats moved in to prey on the rodents that were attracted to stores of grain. In the words of the paper’s authors, they effectively “domesticated themselves”.

“Historically speaking, cats, unlike dogs, have not been domesticated to obey humans’ orders. Rather, they seem to take the initiative in human–cat interaction.” This is in contrast to the history of dogs and humans, where the former has been bred over thousands of years to respond to orders and commands. Cats, it seems, never needed to learn....

The study concludes by observing that “the behavioural aspect of cats that cause their owners to become attached to them are still undetermined.”

Nothing about the behavioral aspects of humans that cause them to become attached to cats when cats clearly don't give a hoot...

Thanks!

From experience cats only come when you call their name while at the same time making some noises with their bowl :)

There are many funny sayings like: "Dogs have owners, cats personnel". In my native language cat "owners" often refer to themselves not as such, but "can-openers".

Probably all owing to a desperate attempt to maintain some self-respect:

Laura said:
Nothing about the behavioral aspects of humans that cause them to become attached to cats when cats clearly don't give a hoot...

It seems cats know about the dating advice of "Make yourself rare and they will flock after you" :cool2:

M.T.

I can think of a few people who treat cats more like dogs or children. Like they insist on returning home directly after work every day, or cannot stay late at parties, otherwise the cats will be upset, since they are expecting them.

Also I found this:

Cats Do Control Humans, Study Finds
http://www.livescience.com/5556-cats-control-humans-study-finds.html

Household cats exercise this control with a certain type of urgent-sounding, high-pitched meow, according to the findings.

This meow is actually a purr mixed with a high-pitched cry. While people usually think of cat purring as a sign of happiness, some cats make this purr-cry sound when they want to be fed. The study showed that humans find these mixed calls annoying and difficult to ignore.

"The embedding of a cry within a call that we normally associate with contentment is quite a subtle means of eliciting a response," said Karen McComb of the University of Sussex. "Solicitation purring is probably more acceptable to humans than overt meowing, which is likely to get cats ejected from the bedroom."

They know us

Previous research has shown similarities between cat cries and human infant cries.

McComb suggests that the purr-cry may subtly take advantage of humans' sensitivity to cries they associate with nurturing offspring. Also, including the cry within the purr could make the sound "less harmonic and thus more difficult to habituate to," she said.

McComb got the idea for the study from her experience with her own cat, who would consistently wake her up in the mornings with a very insistent purr. After speaking with other cat owners, she learned that some of their cats also made the same type of call. As a scientist who studies vocal communication in mammals, she decided to investigate the manipulative meow.

Tough to test

Setting up the experiments wasn't easy. While the felines used purr-cries around their familiar owners, they were not eager to make the same cries in front of strangers. So McComb and her team trained cat owners to record their pets' cries — capturing the sounds made by cats when they were seeking food and when they were not. In all, the team collected recordings from 10 different cats.

The researchers then played the cries back for 50 human participants, not all of whom owned cats. They found that humans, even if they had never had a cat themselves, judged the purrs recorded while cats were actively seeking food — the purrs with an embedded, high-pitched cry — as more urgent and less pleasant than those made in other contexts.

When the team re-synthesised the recorded purrs to remove the embedded cry, leaving all else unchanged, the human subjects' urgency ratings for those calls decreased significantly.

McComb said she thinks this cry occurs at a low level in cats' normal purring, "but we think that cats learn to dramatically exaggerate it when it proves effective in generating a response from humans." In fact, not all cats use this form of purring at all, she said, noting that it seems to most often develop in cats that have a one-on-one relationship with their owners rather than those living in large households, where their purrs might be overlooked.

The results were published in the July 14 issue of the journal Current Biology.

I find that cat attitude or temperament of "don't give a hoot" endearing.

Interesting, the contrast between dogs and cats and the fact that I love dogs for exactly the way they are and I love cats for exactly the way they are. :)

...never evolved to care
That was just delicious. :D

Laura said:

I do remember reading about cats not giving a hoot some time back, but it's so easy not to see it in my attachment to my cat companions and come up with narratives which ascribe dog-like attributes to them. Reading this actually brought up reactions of "But my cats are different!" I'll probably have to re-evaluate a little. :lol:

Laura said:
Minas Tirith said:
Probably all owing to a desperate attempt to maintain some self-respect:

:lol2:

Lol.

Tomiro said:
I can think of a few people who treat cats more like dogs or children. Like they insist on returning home directly after work every day, or cannot stay late at parties, otherwise the cats will be upset, since they are expecting them.

:) Well, my parents cat doesn't show up for some days then, if nobody was home.

Aha! I knew it! Our cats never really gave a damn about us, it was all about the food! :lol:

I've always been of two minds regarding cats. On the one hand, I find they're so cute and cuddly and smart. But on the other hand, I've never really understood cats despite having had several. One minute you're petting them, they're purring and obviously enjoying it and the next second, they're scratching you. No warning signs, no 'I'm beginning to get fed up' warning. You need to read their mind. Then they sleep all day long and suddenly they go bonkers at 10 pm (and by bonkers I mean jumping against the walls, going full speed from one room to another, stop to quickly sharpen their claws on the sofa like they're in a hurry, making all sorts of weird faces - go figure).

A cat lover friend of mine was telling me that her cat knew when she had menstrual pain and was coming to sleep on her belly to relieve her pain. She was quite enamoured with her cat. When I was talking about dogs, she would tell me how she hated them because they were just stupid and needy. Funny how loyalty is seen by some people... ;) Because loyalty is really not cats' forte, is it? I mean, I had a goat when I was a child and she was more loyal than any cat I've ever had. She was following me everywhere...even to the local church where I would give her holy water. :lol:

from Buddy:« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:36:21 PM »
Interesting, the contrast between dogs and cats and the fact that I love dogs for exactly the way they are and I love cats for exactly the way they are.

-------------------------------- ------------------------------- --------------------------------

I Agree.

Mrs. Tigersoap said:
But on the other hand, I've never really understood cats despite having had several. One minute you're petting them, they're purring and obviously enjoying it and the next second, they're scratching you. No warning signs, no 'I'm beginning to get fed up' warning. You need to read their mind. [...]

A cat lover friend of mine was telling me that her cat knew when she had menstrual pain and was coming to sleep on her belly to relieve her pain. She was quite enamoured with her cat. When I was talking about dogs, she would tell me how she hated them because they were just stupid and needy. Funny how loyalty is seen by some people... ;)

Well, maybe this article has some answers! :lol:
16849.gif

Cats Adore, Manipulate Women
_http://news.discovery.com/animals/zoo-animals/cats-humans-pets-relationships-110224.htm

- Relationships between cats and their owners mirror human bonds, especially when the owner is a woman.

- Cats hold some control over when they are fed and handled, functioning very similar to human children in some households.

- While the age, sex and personality of owners affect these relationships, the sex of the cat doesn't seem to matter.

The bond between cats and their owners turns out to be far more intense than imagined, especially for cat aficionado women and their affection reciprocating felines, suggests a new study.

Cats attach to humans, and particularly women, as social partners, and it's not just for the sake of obtaining food, according to the new research, which has been accepted for publication in the journal Behavioural Processes.

The study is the first to show in detail that the dynamics underlying cat-human relationships are nearly identical to human-only bonds, with cats sometimes even becoming a furry "child" in nurturing homes.

"Food is often used as a token of affection, and the ways that cats and humans relate to food are similar in nature to the interactions seen between the human caregiver and the pre-verbal infant," co-author Jon Day, a Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition researcher, told Discovery News. "Both cat and human infant are, at least in part, in control of when and what they are fed!"

For the study, led by Kurt Kotrschal of the Konrad Lorenz Research Station and the University of Vienna, the researchers videotaped and later analyzed interactions between 41 cats and their owners over lengthy four-part periods. Each and every behavior of both the cat and owner was noted. Owner and cat personalities were also assessed in a separate test. For the cat assessment, the authors placed a stuffed owl toy with large glass eyes on a floor so the feline would encounter it by surprise.

The researchers determined that cats and their owners strongly influenced each other, such that they were each often controlling the other's behaviors. Extroverted women with young, active cats enjoyed the greatest synchronicity, with cats in these relationships only having to use subtle cues, such as a single upright tail move, to signal desire for friendly contact.

While cats have plenty of male admirers, and vice versa, this study and others reveal that women tend to interact with their cats -- be they male or female felines -- more than men do.

"In response, the cats approach female owners more frequently, and initiate contact more frequently (such as jumping on laps) than they do with male owners," co-author Manuela Wedl of the University of Vienna told Discovery News, adding that "female owners have more intense relationships with their cats than do male owners."

Cats also seem to remember kindness and return the favors later. If owners comply with their feline's wishes to interact, then the cat will often comply with the owner's wishes at other times. The cat may also "have an edge in this negotiation," since owners are usually already motivated to establish social contact.

Although there are isolated instances of non-human animals, such as gorillas, bonding with other species, it seems to be mostly unique for humans to engage in social relationships with other animals. In this case with cats, it's for very good reason. Cats could very well be man's -- and woman's -- best friend.

"A relationship between a cat and a human can involve mutual attraction, personality compatibility, ease of interaction, play, affection and social support," co-author Dorothy Gracey of the University of Vienna explained. "A human and a cat can mutually develop complex ritualized interactions that show substantial mutual understanding of each other's inclinations and preferences."

Dennis Turner, a University of Zurich-Irchel animal behaviorist, told Discovery News the he's "very impressed with this study on human-cat interactions, in that it has taken our earlier findings a step higher, using more modern analytical techniques to get at the interplay between cat and human personalities."

Turner, who is also senior editor of The Domestic Cat: The Biology of Its Behaviour (Cambridge University Press), added that he and his colleagues "now have a new dimension to help us understand how these relationships function."

Kotrschal's team is presently involved in a long-term study of man's other well-known animal best friend: dogs.

I'm a not a cat person so this title rings for me as:

Cats recognise their owners' voices but never evolved to care= Psychocats/Psychopaths recognise their lover/freinds/...'s voices but never evolved to care.

I think cats do form a social connection with people beyond just seeing their owner as a supplier of food.

For example, if a cat's owner is going away for a few days, many cats will shows signs of being agitated, nervous, or sulky, and then be extra-affectionate for a short period when their regular owner returns, even when someone else has been feeding them everyday while the owner was away.

Cats are more independent than dogs though. Dogs seem to like more continuous interaction with people (with the rest of the pack?), when they (the dogs) are not sleeping.

Gandalf said:
I'm a not a cat person so this title rings for me as:

Cats recognise their owners' voices but never evolved to care= Psychocats/Psychopaths recognise their lover/freinds/...'s voices but never evolved to care.

Naaah… Psychopaths have no redeeming qualities, to paraphrase Don Juan. Cats are 2D creatures who catch mouses, are fluffy and purr!

In any case, this cat did seem to have evolved to care:

A gray and white cat named Toldo, has been visiting his beloved master’s tomb, bringing all kinds of little presents since the day of Reno Iozzelli’s funeral. “He brings little twigs, leaves, toothpicks, plastic cups. A bit of everything really,” said Reno’s widow Ada via AFP from Montagnana, a mouton village near Florence (RawStory).
_http://lovemeow.com/2013/01/loyal-cat-brings-gifts-to-his-masters-tomb/

There're tons of examples like that.

Adaryn said:
There're tons of examples like that.

Some even make it to third density (Session 950304):

Q: (J) Is there any significance to the fact that
one of our cats has been looking like she is
really trying to tell us something?
A: One of your cats, no, make that 2 of your
cats, are close to transition to 3rd level.
Q: (T) Sabrina's moving up in the world,
she's going to get a promotion. (J) What's
going to happen to her when she hits third?
She's going to be a human?
A: Yes.
Q: (J) Wow. (T) When she moves from cat to
human, her cat body will die?
A: Yes.
Q: (T) Is this going to happen some time in
the near future as we measure it?
A: Not concept, we mean at next incarnation
whenever that occurs. By the way, who gave
her that name?
Q: (J) What name? (L) Sabrina? (S) The cat's
name? (T) Two of our cats? (L) Maybe. (T)
They are third density candidates. (J) What
about the name?
A: Exactly.

I always found interesting that cats have this particular indignant look when something doesn't go as they want, don't think any other animal displays it.

They can also "remember" any - from their perspective - "unfair" treatment for a long time. I had a cat ignoring me for four weeks because I had yelled at her for sitting in my freshly washed laundry (I wasn't her caretaker, but lived in the same house). I found it quite remarkable that she would put on this air of "wronged primadonna" whenever she saw me and this for quite some time ... And yes, I have to admit, it hurt :shock:

This is a quote from Winston Churchill
I like pigs.
Cats look down on us.
Dogs look up to us.
Pigs treat us like equals

M.T.

Back
Top Bottom