CC number hacked - donation will be late this month

Iconoclast

Jedi Master
just wanted to say that i had to cancel my credit card since someone seems to have aquired my number and has been spending about 1.900,- euros over the last month.
so my monthly donation will be late this time. (already got payment-failure emails from futurepay)

it seems the system is mounting a little attack at the moment, since this isn't the only boo-boo i had to deal with this month.

Egads! I know how that feels! A few years ago my CC bank called me to verify that I had ordered a dozen basketballs.... they were pretty pricey, too! The order came from Italy.

Well, of course, I told them "No," I was not in Italy and I didn't want a bunch of basketballs! The card number was immediately deactivated and a new card issued, so whoever it was got stopped before they did any damage. We figured out that the only place we had used that card online was to buy ink cartridges for our printer. You really have to be careful what sites you do business with. That's why we decided to pay the extra money to go with Worldpay which is pretty darn secure so far.

Hope you don't have to cover the theft, that the bank or insurance will take care of you.

Laura said:
I know how that feels! A few years ago my CC bank called me to verify that I had ordered a dozen basketballs.... they were pretty pricey, too! The order came from Italy.
I had a very similar experience two to three years ago at Christmas time. I had ordered a bust of Bach for myself via an Ebay bid. And, I had contacted an online vendor of commemorative baseball bats to purchase a Chicago Cubs bat for one of my sons. Bingo, the CC called me first thing the next morning asking if I had charged gift certificated in New York City! Well, of course I hadn't. Like Laura's example, the CC company immediately deactivated the card, issued me a new number and said that they had caught several sales which I would NOT be liable for; turned out that's all there were so I was out nothing.

This is one good thing about the debt industry. They do have marvelous programming that churns each day looking for known keys that might expose theft and fraud. They've got the money to develop them and no doubt it does save them money in the process.

I also called them once when I suspected a possible problem with a vendor I had just spoken with. They immediately deactivated and issued another number. I never heard anything further.

My CC has phantom numbers, specifically for one-time use only for Internet charges, that are database linked to the real account. But, I've always had trouble getting it to work with Firefox. I'm pretty sure the problem is with me, not Firefox. So, I have not taken advantage of this maneuver yet. It does seem to be worth the effort.

Iconoclast said:
just wanted to say that i had to cancel my credit card since someone seems to have acquired my number and has been spending about 1.900,- euros over the last month.
My best wishes to you Iconoclast. It is a painful and disheartening experience to go through, not to mention the financial trouble it causes. I hope you turn out whole in this mess.

Laura said:
Hope you don't have to cover the theft, that the bank or insurance will take care of you.
thanks, laura. i'm quite sure i won't have to pay anything - and if i do, i'll raise some mayor stink. :D after all, it's not like i have been careless with the number, like sending it via email or instant messenger.

and thanks for the kind words, locksmith - it's not that big a deal, it's just a nuisance - another attempt to drain some more energy from my already somewhat taxed system.

Someone also recently hacked my CC. Well, they just had the time to buy an anti-spam software (!)worth 60 GBP, the CC center immediately sensed it was suspicious and cancelled my card. I also had to cancel my donation, but I have now restored it with the new card.
NB : I suspect this fraudulent purchase was a cover for something else, maybe more illegal. How strange is that, to hack someone's CC to buy an anti spam software !

I somehow lost my wallet a few days ago but later got it back, a few cards were stolen (my divelicence-card and a few busspasses). I just realized that my monthly donation got canceled along with my card. :(
Will sign up again, but thanks to this thread It hit me.

Back
Top Bottom