Chemicals in cosmetics and other products

Tigersoap

The Living Force
My wife wanted to write a short comment on this article about chemicals in cosmetics (and other products) absorbed by the body and how you can avoid them if you wish to do so.

I also thought it would be a good idea if we could share tricks and tips on products or websites that offers alternative solutions to the common products found in regular stores.

Here it is :

In reaction to the article 'Body absorbs 5lb of make up chemicals a year', I wanted to let you know about a great book to read on that subject by Pat Thomas called 'What's in this Stuff?: The essential guide to what's really in the products you buy'.

Pat Thomas is a journalist and author in the field of alternative and environmental health. She is the Health editor for The Ecologist Magazine. She reveals how poorly tested are the chemicals we use (IF they are tested at all), the health risks involved, provides an A to Z list of chemicals, a complete guide to E numbers, but also gives really interesting alternatives to all these chemicals. Like cleaning your windows with vinegar and water instead of the expensive, nasty sprays full of chemicals or using jojoba oil for your face instead of your regular face cream.

This book has started a mini revolution in our household and many of her advice have now become second nature to us. I'm a Health Kinesiologist and I've been letting my patients know about the danger of chemicals and many have already seen improvement in their health since they switched to natural alternatives. Did you know for example that some chemicals have been linked to depression?

Parents should especially be concerned, as babies are even more at risk, as they are not only faced with chemicals in toiletries and nappies, but also in their toys (pvc or wood that has been treated), on their mattress (fire retardant products), in their baby food, etc.

As it can prove to be difficult to find really natural and organic toiletries or cosmetics (many of the brands which claim to be natural still use chemicals), here is the address of a great website where you can find 100 % natural products, a lot of which are organic. The good news is they are also fair trade and cheap (some other brands also sometimes provide 100 % natural products but they are generally really expensive): Akamuti
(I want to add that I have no personal relation with this shop, other than being a very satisfied customer).

The cosmetic industry may say what they want about their products not being dangerous to human health, but when a chemical has been clearly linked to sex change in mice over and over again, and is still in use in lots of cosmetics, i don't know why, it makes me feel VERY uneasy...

Thanks for the input and link. I'll be checking it out!

There's also Burt's Bees. I've used some of their products for years and for the price, I think they are excellent.
Burt's Bees can be found in most natural food and health food stores and co-ops. (do I sound like a commercial?)
www.burtsbees(dot)com.

There's also rice powder. It's an excellent microfoliant and smooths out the skin. Great for people who are sensitive to chemical washes. Comes in many different brands, the one I use is made by Dermalogica.

Peg

mudrabbit said:
There's also Burt's Bees. I've used some of their products for years and for the price, I think they are excellent.
Burt's Bees can be found in most natural food and health food stores and co-ops. (do I sound like a commercial?)
www.burtsbees(dot)com.

There's also rice powder. It's an excellent microfoliant and smooths out the skin. Great for people who are sensitive to chemical washes. Comes in many different brands, the one I use is made by Dermalogica.

Peg
Here is a link to the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics:

http://www.safecosmetics.org/about/

"The companies listed below have pledged to not use chemicals that are known or strongly suspected of causing cancer, mutation or birth defects in their products and to implement substitution plans that replace hazardous materials with safer alternatives in every market they serve. Several major cosmetics companies, including OPI, Avon, Estee Lauder, L'Oreal, Revlon, Proctor & Gamble and Unilever have thus far refused to sign the Compact for Safe Cosmetics."

and here is a list of the compact signers:

http://www.safecosmetics.org/docUploads/Compact%20Signers%20%2D%20May%2017%2Epdf

Unfortunately, Burt's Bees is not on the list. I do have and use some of their products though.

I use natural from www.greenmama.com, it has siberian essential oils and kaolins.
Also very good are Italian erboristeria lines from
_www.vivalanatura.com
_www.euxana.com
_www.lerboristeria.com
used them before.

The most natural products for babies and adults -- a family company, very ethical - they produce and sell their own essential oils and have a wide range of products, from nappies to toys to cosmetics to baby car seats :
http://www.monde-de-bebe.com/
english site : http://www.monde-de-bebe.com/index2_eng.htm
Dispatch worldwide.

Back
Top Bottom