Cigarette Pricing Makes No Cents To Me

I'm trying to switch to a brand that gives me the same >zing< as Marlboro reds. So today I thought I'd try Pall Mall nonfilters. To my surprise, they were $5.20! When I asked how much Pall Mall filters were, I was told $3.75! That made absolutely no sense to me, logically. Does anyone have any insights? I was thinking it'd be CHEAPER to make em without filters...

well I always had the same query about cabriolet (or as americans say convertible) cars,
they are outrageously expansive although they must be cheaper to make in terms of material then normal cars :)

what don says makes sense int his case too

$12.65 (in Oklahoma) will buy a weeks worth (1 pack+ a day) of American Spirit tobacco in bulk tins. Approximately $3.00 will buy a 250 count box of filtered paper tubes. Your net cost for a week's worth of additive free cigarettes is about $14.00. I use a small inexpensive plastic machine to fill the tubes. I have been doing this for over four years and a day's worth of cigarettes can be rolled in about 15 minutes each evening while reading on line or watching the international news on French TV.

Cigarettes are now about $8.00 US per pack in France. I get a 2 or 3 months supply of the American Spirit sent to me every other month or so. It is light so the freight cost is not bad - and my regular "care packages" from home also contain books, jeans and other items that are criminally priced over here, especially after the VAT.

Items sent to me from the states via US Post, Priority International Mail arrive in 6 or 7 days and are not charged duty. I estimate that the postage averages out to about another $4.00 a week to my smokes, but I am still way ahead of the Euro game.

Today, I ordered a batch of Virginia and Maryland tobacco seeds from a source in the UK. I am going to try my hand at home grown this summer. I am also going to acquire some nicotiana rustica seeds (the much more potent choice of South American shamans). I have also been reading up on proper tobacco curing procedures. Not much to it if you don't get in a hurry.

One more act of self sufficiency. One less attachment to the grid.

BTW Deckard, cabriolets are much more expensive than sedans to manufacture these days. The sophisticated power top motors and folding hinged framework are not inexpensive, but the biggest cost is incurred in stiffening the chassis, to compensate for the loss of rigidity that the missing overhead superstructure afforded.

I'm not sure if they have dedicated production lines for non-filters. It would be a lot more screwing around with machine set ups and the materials would also be a little more expensive being bought in smaller quantities. Production of "premium products" in a factory usually equates to "pain in the a**" to those on the production floor.

With convertibles there's a lot of extra engineering required in the floor and body section to make up for all the strength lost when you lop off the roof.

Back
Top Bottom