Cinnamon Roasted Pecans

Lilou

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I made these last week and they were quite tasty. I calculated total carbs, and found that for each pecan half, there is roughly 1.2 grams of carbs. A serving size is 1oz/roughly 19 pecan halves - so that brings a serving to a whopping 22.8 grams. So just an FYI - to not go overboard and eat half a bag!

4 cups of pecan halves (1 pound/roughly 1/2 kilo)
4 Tablespoons of butter
1 Tablespoon of water
1 Tablespoon of cinnamon
1 Cup of Xylitol

Melt butter, add water, cinnamon and xylitol, mix well. Add pecans and coat evenly. Spread pecans on lightly buttered baking pan. Roast in oven at 350F (177C) for no more than 10 minutes. Stir the pecans every 2-3 minutes.
Spread pecans on wax paper to cool and enjoy!

Also - since xylitol is toxic to dogs - don't let the pup eat any of these!

According to this, a handful of pecans (about 28g) has 3g of fiber, 1g of sugar. Since fiber is not digested, that leaves 1g per handful. Where did you get the 22g figure from?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3129/2

The total carb count for these includes the carbs in pecans, cinnamon, and xylitol. The largest amount of carbs comes from the xylitol.

1 cup xylitol = 48 tsp 4 carbs/tsp x 48 = 192
1 Tbsp cinnamon = 3 tsp 2 carbs/tsp x 3 = 6
4 cups pecans = 32 oz 5.2 carbs/oz x 32 = 166.4

total carbs per 32 oz = 364.4 there is roughly 20 pecan halves/ounce (which is a serving). So one serving is calculated to be 364.4/20 = 18.22 grams of carbs per serving.

I like that number better than the previous calculation!! I can eat more. :thup:

I took the grams of carbs in pecans and number of halves in a serving off the package. I no longer have the package, so that could be the slight difference in calculation. (?) Never the less, there's approximately 20 grams of carbs per serving of these sweet cinnamon pecans and roughly 1 gram per pecan half.

I made these a few days ago and they were great!

I'm not sure how to stir these. The cinnamon coating tends to pool under them and if you stir too much it turns into a powder and doesn't stick. If you don't stir, it eventually hardens into a shiny glaze, but I don't think this can be achieved without most of it pooling under the pecans.

We're going to try this with almonds next.

I made these for a Christmas dinner and they were a bit hit with everyone. I think they are fantastic! Thanks for sharing this Lilou. :D

Back
Top Bottom