Clarallel

Ina

The Living Force
The names the Cs come up with puzzle me to the max. I remember some two years back, making a long list of names trying looking for letter frequency distribution or a similar algorithm to decipher possible meaning. I put it aside because I was ovewhelmed by a dead end feeling.
Yesterday I made a Google search for 'algorithm change the letters of your name into tones or sounds' and I found
Someone made an algorithm that turns your name into a musical cipher
"
Musical ciphers (which are means of transforming text, usually a name, into a musical motif using logical relations between letters and pitches) have been used by Western composers for centuries.

But as Western musical notation uses letters for pitch names, this clearly only works for the letters A to G – and composers in the past have struggled to find a logical method for the other letters.

In one piece, the composer Robert Schumann created a melody out of his wife Clara's name. The letters C-L-A-R-A became C(#)BAG(#)A. For the letters C and A, Schumann used the logical pitches C(#) and A. For the letters L and R, he simply assigned the pitches B and G(#), as they make melodic sense of the surrounding pitches.

Now, Kai Konishi-Dukes has developed an algorithm, building upon the above method, which turns your name – or anything else you write in the box – into a little musical ditty. He's called it Clarallel."

The last hyperlink on the page goes to a web working application Clarallel, that reveals the music behind the name.

How cool is that?

Oi, c'est amusant et un peu surprenant... MERCI

Yes, it's fun and a little surprising... THANK YOU

Back
Top Bottom