Coors lite Frost brew liner

StayCalm

The Force is Strong With This One
I'm just curious what this stuff is made out of. The coors site doesn't have any info about it and searches on google gave me answers saying it was "accidentaly" made doing an experiment for the government by two guys named Green and Hannell. Yahoo answers only produced a link to a site with no informantion about WHAT this stuff is, and someone saying "HD Polyurothane, I believe". Further searches on google with Polyurothane and the frost brew liner and still nothing.
Maybe I'm being paranoid but this is where I'm at and would apreciate some guidance.

(The frost brew liner is a blue paint that is said to keep the beers colder and fresher, but when they first made the switch from regular cans to the new liner i noticed a distinct plastic taste)

StayCalm said:
Maybe I'm being paranoid but this is where I'm at and would apreciate some guidance.
My guidance: always drink beer from glass bottles, never cans. :)

My guidance: always drink beer from glass bottles, never cans.
I am not sure if pouring plastic tasting beer into a glass will make it any less plastic tasting, osit.

I would run from that stuff. Many moons ago when I was a pup, I worked in the Coors brewery, 80's, and been in every crook and cranny in the place. That have one area called the "government cellars", it is a stainless steel wonderland, with taps around every corner. The beer from those taps was quite good, but all the others in the plants were not as good for some reason, and if you bought it in the store, it was even less good.

If the containers they are using are not aluminum, which is already bad, then what is it? I'll let you figure out what the cellars were for because I really don't have an answer, but sure was odd to think about.

StayCalm said:
(The frost brew liner is a blue paint that is said to keep the beers colder and fresher, but when they first made the switch from regular cans to the new liner i noticed a distinct plastic taste)
Well, I couldn't find anything on the chemical composition of this liner substance, but I would like to add to my previous point that cans are bad. Aluminum has been shown to increase the permeability of the blood-brain barrier, allowing all sorts of other toxins into the brain. (http://www.springerlink.com/content/x2386854363q804w/) As the abstract of the linked paper suggests, the effects are strongest when mixed with glucose making soft drinks just that much more evil. Studies looking for links between dementia and aluminum are a bit more difficult to interpret, but given that glass is proven safe for food and beverage storage, I say why risk it?

OCKHAM said:
I am not sure if pouring plastic tasting beer into a glass will make it any less plastic tasting, osit.
Try again. ;)

OCKHAM said:
My guidance: always drink beer from glass bottles, never cans.
I think nf3 was talking about buying bottled beer, not pouring beer from a can into a glass. The difference may be negligent, but for what it's worth my advice would be the same as nf3's: drink bottled beer.

edit - nf3's post showed up as I was writing this post

It's Outlast Thermocules. Which are actually part of the label, looks like a thin layer of insulation between the label and the bottle or can. They're actually "phase changing" microcapsules.

http://www.outlast.com/fileadmin/user_upload/products/other_applications/ColdWrapBrochure.pdf

Developed for NASA and used in a lot of areas.

http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/Spinoff2004/ch_1.html

Here's how they work

Within the Outlast products there are millions of microcapsules called Thermocules® that recycle stored energy by absorbing and releasing excess body heat to balance temperature. To insure durability against the rigors of everyday wear and tear, phase-change materials are placed into these Thermocules, which are very much like miniature ping pong balls, but much smaller at 1/2 to 1/20th the diameter of a human hair. Not only are Thermocules small but their shells are very stable, since they are made to be inert and not melt. Once the phase-change materials are microencapsulated into Thermocules, they can be blended into compounds suited for fabric, fiber, and foam coatings.
I'm not sure what "phase changing" material could be used and encapsulated in the capsules. It could be something like super saturated sodium acetate heat packs that go to an exothermic reaction rather quickly...... or it could be one of the best heat exchanging materials known to man.....plain old H2O.

Johnno said:
It's Outlast Thermocules. Which are actually part of the label, looks like a thin layer of insulation between the label and the bottle or can. They're actually "phase changing" microcapsules.

http://www.outlast.com/fileadmin/user_upload/products/other_applications/ColdWrapBrochure.pdf

Developed for NASA and used in a lot of areas.

http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/Spinoff2004/ch_1.html

Here's how they work

Within the Outlast products there are millions of microcapsules called Thermocules® that recycle stored energy by absorbing and releasing excess body heat to balance temperature. To insure durability against the rigors of everyday wear and tear, phase-change materials are placed into these Thermocules, which are very much like miniature ping pong balls, but much smaller at 1/2 to 1/20th the diameter of a human hair. Not only are Thermocules small but their shells are very stable, since they are made to be inert and not melt. Once the phase-change materials are microencapsulated into Thermocules, they can be blended into compounds suited for fabric, fiber, and foam coatings.
I'm not sure what "phase changing" material could be used and encapsulated in the capsules. It could be something like super saturated sodium acetate heat packs that go to an exothermic reaction rather quickly...... or it could be one of the best heat exchanging materials known to man.....plain old H2O.
The thermocules are only aplied to the outside label of the bottles. I'm searching for the Frost Brew Liner sprayed to the inside of the can.

OCKHAM said:
I'll let you figure out what the cellars were for because I really don't have an answer, but sure was odd to think about.
http://www.secinfo.com/dRc22.7Ec.htm said:
[...]Finally,
the beer is transferred to the "government cellars" or holding tanks where it is
stored before being sent to the production lines where it is packaged in kegs,
bottles or cans.
http://books.google.com/books?id=0os_gIvG_ccC&pg=PA485&lpg=PA485&dq=beer+%22government+cellars%22&source=web&ots=W0zOeY_Yrq&sig=sHHVhtO4R323p40GUFc5DAyHFtw

And this site says the beer needs to be kept cold to help fend off microorganisms from tainting taste of the beer. That could be why the beer tasted the best from the government cellars.

OCKHAM said:
If the containers they are using are not aluminum, which is already bad, then what is it?
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

the beer is transferred to the "government cellars" or holding tanks where it is
stored before being sent to the production lines where it is packaged in kegs,
bottles or cans.
This makes some sense as they were nestled just west of that section where all the canning was shipping was taking place. All the other processing was to the east of the main entrance. My directions might be a little off, towards the foothills was west.

Concerning the can, I was under the impression at first they might be using a new material, but it seems they are applying it to can and/or bottles. Glass bottles seem much safer as long as the material is on the outside, fwiw.

OCKHAM said:
Concerning the can, I was under the impression at first they might be using a new material, but it seems they are applying it to can and/or bottles. Glass bottles seem much safer as long as the material is on the outside, fwiw.
Yep no alluminum leakage for me thank you very much. Thats something I didn't think about before this search so time to avoid even soda cans. I'll stick with the micro-brews around my area which is what i usually drink anyway.

Back
Top Bottom