Dissociation and Desensitization as a means to overcome fear.

Timey

Jedi Master
I was talking to my mum about my fear of the dark, and how it is connected to my fear of abduction.
She suggested going into the garden with her over the course of the night as it gradually became darker, staying there, and listening to the sounds of the night. She said this could help me get over my fear of the dark through becoming desensitized to it, and listening to the sounds should help me stop jumping to conclusions. She said that I should then be able to separate the idea of abduction from being in the dark. It made sense to me. Can anyone comment on this?

I think it is a great idea as well. You can listen to the night sounds, and realize that most of that is just bugs, animals, etc. doing what they do at night with no concerns about you. A flashlight might help in certain circumstances -- keep it off, listen to the sounds, and if you hear something making noises (leaves ruffling, etc.) then you can light it up and see. I like doing this sometimes at night from the back porch just to see what is doing what. I've seen old possums rummaging around, deer easing around, etc. I bet that might help take some of the fear away just to see that it is a bunch of nature doing what nature does, and not specifically out to get you.

Back
Top Bottom