Dune (2020)

It's a shame that the weirdness of book 4 and the deepness of the Bene Gesserit in general will not go fully explored, but i suppose it may sound a tad too eugenic (it just is). The folks that brought this topic to you before Frank Herbert did, like the Fabian Society and such, are not supposed to be discussed in public all too much.

I just saw Dune 2 yesterday (regular theatre). Wow... I went back today to see it on IMAX before it gets pulled out. I can't wait for 3rd movie!

For both Dune (1 & 2), everything is good: the visuals, the costumes, the actors, the pace. I think the crew did a brilliant job. I never read the books but it sure did raise my interest.
The movie soundtrack/music score is so good; it completely immerses you in the story. I love the melody representing Paul (Herald of the change) and I pulled the piano score from a site and started playing it today.

I disliked the 1984 movie. It was badly done, plus I was too young to understand most of it. It stuck in my mind as being weird, but it did leave its mark from being one of a kind concept. I've always remembered it: Dune, the spice, the worms, and the weird guys riding them!

I saw the film this weekend. I thought it was the best adaptation of the Dune saga to be put to film. The soundtrack was glorious! The Harkonnen home world was what I think a world populated by psychopaths would look like. There was something about the ending I didn't like. I don't know what it was and I can't put my finger on it. As others have said, it deviated a bit from the original story but hopefully there will be a third installment and more of this calibre of film in the future.

I saw the film this weekend. I thought it was the best adaptation of the Dune saga to be put to film. The soundtrack was glorious! The Harkonnen home world was what I think a world populated by psychopaths would look like. There was something about the ending I didn't like. I don't know what it was and I can't put my finger on it. As others have said, it deviated a bit from the original story but hopefully there will be a third installment and more of this calibre of film in the future.
Maybe it's next.

When I saw the movie, I knew the approximate duration, so with the book in my memory, when there was just over half an hour left to finish the movie, I was thinking... "There's no time to tell what's left of the first book! Will there be a third part?"

The last half hour is a tight condensation of almost half the book.

If there was an extended five-hour version with the same pacing as the beginning of the film, it could be epic.

I loved it. Really!!. The first 45 minutes I felt thrilled like a kid “Yee Haw!!!” Saw it in one of those deluxe lazyboy recliner theaters. …..however…..

There are plenty of devils in the details. Studying the reactions actually becomes a great exercise in seeing beyond the Brain Bio Eye Candy.

I read Dune when I was a teen and reread it in middle age. Of course I told my kids, “You HAVE to read this.” (Because of the equivalence of the multi-layered machinations, world complexity etc with our “real” world, aside from being just a great story)

My kids can be very nit picky about this sort of stuff (gee wonder who they got that from?!) and I was curious to hear what they saw that I missed or glossed over.

The big one was Chani, of course. While she did some great acting portraying the pouting bitter jilted lover, that really wasn’t who Chani was in the book. It’s possible Zendaya was incapable, as an actress, of anything deeper. IOW, some actors are archetypes in and of themselves albeit one-trick ponies, Zendaya perhaps being one. In short, Chani was a let down.

I am surprised that in movie #2, the importance and real meaning of the spice as well as the guild and its navigators was basically left out. A lot of the story was left out in favor of an audio visual tour de force hammering at the lower chakra energy centers.

Lacking the cerebral storyline Details, IOW.

My one “oh c’mon” moment while watching was when they were heading South and Paul goes into petulant child mode and says he is not going, It felt like a weak cliche versus a deeper exploration of the inner conflict. So instead we got repeated shots of the hokey gaping mouth meme.

Whatevs. I loved it. But like any love, the flaws show up over time wherein lie the lessons.

Back
Top Bottom