Emapthy and syntony

Renaissance

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
In the Terminator thread, ScioAgapeOmnis brought up a discussion on empathy:

ScioAgapeOmnis said:
So I guess what I'm asking is, what is the connection between empathy and knowledge? And what came first - a sort of chicken or egg question. Is empathy a result of a certain kind of perspective/knowledge, or is it vice versa? If we look at the results of already having empathy, it seems that empathy promotes objectivity - you don't place yourself above others, empathy sort of reminds you that you're no more important than others, that their pain is no less significant than yours. And empathy, if allowed to run its course, also discourages wishful thinking - again because you care about others, and this concern makes you care about things that allow you to help others, which necessitate an understanding of objective reality because that's the only way to objectively help someone.

But all that, in my understanding, is a result of empathy already being present to some degree, with potential to develop it further. But if empathy is missing, can it be created, can it be "born" or appear as a result of something else? Because if psychopaths are failed OPs and OP's lack higher centers, maybe empathy is part of the "higher centers" and that's where it originates and that's why psychopaths have neither? Would that mean empathy, real empathy (not pretend or programming etc) is not just another "chemical" like our base emotions like fear or sadness, but comes from a higher level? I don't know, but when the C's were asked how we know if we have a soul they said "Do you ever hurt for another?"
I think Dabrowski provides some pieces of the puzzle in describing how empathy evolves from syntony through positive disintegration.

Dabrowki (1970) said:
The feelings of syntony and empathy

On a low level of development, i.e. primitive integration, we observe forms of syntony so primitive that, depending on circumstances, they can easily change into asyntony. Primitive forms of syntony find their expression in union with a collective mood, in union with the psychomotorics of a dancing group, in common laughter, in the impulses of a crowd (such as fighting, “living it up,” drinking, primitive forms of rivalry, etc.). Such primitive syntony involves spontaneous, rhythmic, dynamic, or explosive forms of behavior in the area of sensory needs and primitive emotional interests. This is a constitutionally compulsive behavior determined physiologically.

On a somewhat higher level, i.e. on the level of unilevel disintegration, we observe instinctive forms of the desire to help others. This is accompanied by ambivalent and changeable overexperiencing of other people’s problems. These feelings, however, are so unstable that from positive emotions they may easily turn to resentment, jealousy, stubbornness and hatred. Such coupling of the stimulation of primitive levels of the self-preservation instinct with an awakening of the feelings of syntony shows a disequilibrium of syntonic and asyntonic attitudes. Hence the ambivalence, ambitendencies and changeability displayed through a disharmony of thought, feeling, and action. It also manifests shifting away from the rigidity of primitive integration towards the greater plasticity of initial disintegration.

On a higher level, i.e. at the first stage of multilevel disintegration, there appears a hierarchy of values. We observe more alterocentric, unselfish attitudes expressed by a readiness to help; we observe more consistent sensitivity towards the need of others forsaking primitive selfishness. This attitude is characterized by a more or less strong participation of thoughtfulness and reflection. This is empathy.

On the level of the organization of multilevel disintegration we observe conscious forms of syntony coupled with an ability to perceive and to systematically weed out residual forms of primitive syntony, such as understanding and love. Deeper syntony and kindness are united here in an understanding of the developmental level and type of each encountered individual (identification with others). A disapproval of his more primitive moral attitudes and actions does not diminish the desire to help him. Typical examples are: a tendency to defend others, a heart-warming attitude, understanding, and the like, which are accompanied by reflection and critical evaluation.

On the highest level, that is to say, in secondary integration, we encounter deeper understanding of every human being in respect to his developmental level, inner potential and similar functions. This expresses a form of syntony that is multi-dimensional and multi-level; it goes parallel with an increased understanding of the whole psychic structure of encountered persons. With the understanding of the deeper needs of others, with constant readiness to help, with identification with others and profound empathy comes peace of mind. Its mark is an attitude of “syntonic” wisdom, understanding, kindness and generosity. What is primitive is not approved of, neither is it condemned.
In looking up syntony there is also this definition:
Syntony
n. tuning wireless instrument to same wavelength. syntonic, a. pertaining to syntony; Psychology, in harmony with one's surroundings.

While the second definition relates more to D's statements, it seems the first also gives a clue to another piece of the puzzle, namely what Stout describes as 'limbic resonance' in her new book, The Paranoia Switch.

Stout said:
And fear is contagious. As I will discuss in detail in later chapters, scientists have begun to study a fascinating brain process called limbic resonance, by which a part of the brain mentioned before as having to do with emotion and memory - the lymbic system - can draw the emotions of a pair of people, or even a larger group, into congruence. One brain “tugs” on another to feel loving or joyful or angry or peaceful or hostile - or fearful. To use recognizable examples from the psychiatrist and writer Thomas Lewis, limbic resonance is what makes it more exciting, more romantic, or more teary-eyed to watch a movie with another person, rather than alone - and in less sanguine circumstances, it is what “sends waves of emotion rolling through a throng, making scattered individuals into a unitary, panic stricken herd or hate-filled lynch mob.” Our lymbic systems act as the antennae for and the broadcasters of our emotional states, and they make our affections, our hostilities, and our fears invisibly and wordlessly communicable.
It seems with the use of conscious suffering, or positive disintigration, we might break free from this 'tug' of primitive syntony.

Thank you so much for introducing me to Dabrowski's work, via this thread and its link to the earlier thread titled "A Brief Overview Dabrowski's Theory of Positive Disintegration". It's fascinating, powerful stuff, which compliments and affirms the Cassiopaea material very nicely. It has given me a great deal to think about and integrate....

Thanks for the quotation, Shane.

Here's more from the Paranoia Switch:

Martha Stout said:
[W]ith information from any or all of our senses, processed through the limbic system, we can perceive the internal state of another human being—her or his physiological and emotional status—to which we would otherwise be “blind.” … Not only does the limbic system allow us to perceive the emotions of others … it functions, also, to align our emotions with those of the people around us, and vice versa. (78)

[T]he limbic system plays a dominant role in regulating our feelings, the accessibility of our memories, our motivations to act, our ability to make meaning of our experiences, and even our consciences. (77)

[C]onscience is a compelling feeling of obligation that is always based in our proclivity to bond with others… it is precisely our capacity to form emotional attachments that gives rise to moral character… (75)
Stout points out that she gave the first biological definition of conscience in her book The Sociopath Next Door. However, (and this is the problem with most contemporary psychology), her definition only applies to primitive syntony, a mechanical reaction of our human machine. This is why Dabrowski's work is so vastly important: he acknowledges the mulitlevelness of human emotion. That is, there is primitive syntony (limbic resonance), and fully developed empathy.

hkoehli said:
QueenVee, there are more Dabrowski bits here as well: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=7386
Wow, thanks for directing me to that. I admire how much time and trouble you took to present the excerpts in terms of their relation to and compatability with the Cassiopaea material. Very well done, and extremely illuminating.

Back
Top Bottom