Evil online eyeglasses companies

Rabelais

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
I am just passing this heads-up along. I have not researched it, but it comes from a UK friend. She posted it on facebook. These are her personal comments:

WARNING!!! Anyone thinking of having glasses reglazed or buying new glasses online, AVOID perfectglasses (DOT) co (DOT) uk like the plague!

They are part of a stable of sites that have, I now know *sigh*, attracted the attention of Rogue Traders.

Other names to avoid are ExclusiveEyes, EyeExperts and GlassesExperts (they all have co.uk extensions, but I didn't want to create links!)
Lots of bad reviews out there - should have done my research! Scores of people reporting badly made and fitted lenses, frames that fall apart within days, months for delivery (they say 5 days), unbelievable excuses, bad customer service. You name it, they have botched it.

I'm still waiting for mine - with trepidation... you have been warned!

The "Rogue Traders" that she refers to is, I think, the consumer protection BBC TV show. No matter how good the online deal may seem, I'll stick with the local eyeglass shops, where you see and try the finished product before paying.

I don't know about the companies that you listed there, but I have ordered glasses online for quite a while and I love mine. One needs to make sure they get the distance measurement on their prescription as the sites say to, and also to make sure that one picks frames best for that. Also, price is indicative of quality to an extent. For example, I use the really cheap deals for back up glasses and cheap sunglasses. My main pair of glasses I spent quite a bit more on, and got extra coatings. That being said, I actually like my back up cheaper pair better. Really cheap script sunglasses are typically plastic like at wal -mart etc. The pricier ones you can tell in the pictures are metal frames. I have used several companies, but one of my favorites is goggles4u dot com Just use common sense., and read all you can how to get a good fit etc. I have had all of mine that I have currently for over two years with no breakage. However,do not ever expect Gucci quality at 6.95 or whatever is lowest deal- use them as extra back up pair.

I have personally never ordered any glasses online, but I know a few people who do, and they were always happy with the glasses. Some people I know just order frames and have the lenses cut at local opticals.

If the glasses are just single vision, besides the Rx, all they need is the P.D. (pupillary distance). This is to line up the optical center of the lense, in the center of the pupil. If that is off by a lot, you'll be looking thru prism. But for lined and no line bifocals, they just use an average bifocal height. This measurement requires that the frames be on your head to be accurate. So if it is a no line progressive lense, chances are slim that they'd be usable.

It sounds like the UK has its fair share of fly-by-night online opticals. If you do shop online for glasses, guess it is best to research the outfit before ordering. For me, I like to try before I buy. Plus I work in an optical. :P

Daenerys--thanks for posting this website goggles 4 u. I wear glasses and have always wanted to have a back-up pair, but never wanted to spend too much. I had no idea you could get them this cheap!!

Thanks for the heads-up, Rabelais.

I will be getting my eye exam and new eyeglasses at Target: Optical tomorrow. I recently had thought about buying one online but felt unsure about it. I wanted to get a glasses that would not bother my hearing aid.

Angela said:
Daenerys--thanks for posting this website goggles 4 u. I wear glasses and have always wanted to have a back-up pair, but never wanted to spend too much. I had no idea you could get them this cheap!!

No problem. Also, you can take most any of the 4.95 glasses and make them sunglasses by paying another 4.95 for tinting. ( if you cannot do it to a particular frame there will be no option for tinting when selecting options)Just to let anyone know who may want some prescription sunglasses but not pay big bucks for them.

I would say they are about like 10.00-15.00 dollar heap sunglasses one would buy most anywhere, exept they are prescription. I need them to drive so it is a lifesaver to me as I have no insurance right now.

Also company does international shipping for an extra 4.95 on top of the 4.95 shipping in US

Zadius Sky said:
Thanks for the heads-up, Rabelais. I will be getting my eye exam and new eyeglasses at Target: Optical tomorrow. I recently had thought about buying one online but felt unsure about it. I wanted to get a glasses that would not bother my hearing aid.

Zadius Sky, if you get the dimensions of your new frames and they fit well, you can always order a back up pair or sunglasses cheaply once you know exactly what type frame works with your hearing aid.

Daenerys said:
Zadius Sky, if you get the dimensions of your new frames and they fit well, you can always order a back up pair or sunglasses cheaply once you know exactly what type frame works with your hearing aid.

Yeah, I was trying out the new frames this morning and found one that fits well, but I had to pay $200 US (for both glasses and new lenses). That's the cheapest they can go. I'll be looking for a back-up since I now know which fits.

My eye exam this morning went well. My last exam was in 2008 and I wasn't able to get the new contact lenses recently since my prescription was old. As it turns out, my right eye (-3.75) have not changed a bit for the last ten years while my left eye fluctuates between -4.00 and -4.75. In 2008, it was -4.75 but now, it's -4.25. Back then, I also needed a prescription for astigmatism (I'm nearsighted) but now the doctor found no evidence of astigmatism anywhere, so I don't need the prescription for it. At least, that's good.

Zadius Sky said:
Daenerys said:

Yeah, I was trying out the new frames this morning and found one that fits well, but I had to pay $200 US (for both glasses and new lenses). That's the cheapest they can go. I'll be looking for a back-up since I now know which fits.

My eye exam this morning went well. My last exam was in 2008 and I wasn't able to get the new contact lenses recently since my prescription was old. As it turns out, my right eye (-3.75) have not changed a bit for the last ten years while my left eye fluctuates between -4.00 and -4.75. In 2008, it was -4.75 but now, it's -4.25. Back then, I also needed a prescription for astigmatism (I'm nearsighted) but now the doctor found no evidence of astigmatism anywhere, so I don't need the prescription for it. At least, that's good.

Wow- 200.00 ! I remember back when I had insurance that is about what I paid. But, since I sat on those ( gasp) I had to find a cheap solution as having been laid off there was no way I could do that.

I got four pair ( 2 glasses and 2 sunglasses) for about 75.00 shipped. It blows my mind the mark up on those things. Honestly, I do not know if I could ever pay 200.00 again having done it this way, unless I needed bifocals or something.

I am nearsighted like you also, so I only use mine to watch tv and drive really. (I am also night blind so no glasses and I am a public menace.)
I am TERRIBLE about taking them off to go online or read or something and forgetting it and mangling them in some way. I am shocked I still have all four pair of these for two years honestly.

Glad you got your glasses though. I know you feel better for sure. Those things sure are important when you really need them for something.

Back
Top Bottom