Feds issue guide to citizens on how to behave abroad

'Speak softly, don't argue and slow down'
By Philip Sherwell
(Filed: 16/04/2006)

Loud and brash, in gawdy garb and baseball caps, more than three million of them flock to our shores every year. Shuffling between tourist sites or preparing to negotiate a business deal, they bemoan the failings of the world outside the United States.

The reputation of the "Ugly American" abroad is not, however, just some cruel stereotype, but - according to the American government itself - worryingly accurate. Now, the State Department in Washington has joined forces with American industry to plan an image make-over by issuing guides for Americans travelling overseas on how to behave.

(More)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...ur16.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/04/16/ixworld.html
Umm...the US government has done more to tarnish America's image abroad than it's occasional obnoxious citizen ameteuar traveler (a problem which is NOT limited to USAians). Plus this overlooks the goodwill that many experienced 'meriken travelers and 'meriken expats like me have sown as individuals.

Just my comment for the day.

Yeah, I've seen pictures of drunk Brits cavorting naked in the canals of the Czech Republic. I've personally seen drunk Brits cavorting in the streets of Amsterdam at night that would put most "rude Americans" to shame. We're not that bad. Maybe we're a bit rude, but we're not hooligans.

That would be a good public relations campaign slogan: "The United States - We're Not That Bad"

I'd be discreet traveling abroad these days. Don't wear sports team shirts. Don't wear college sweatshirts. Don't wear those baseball caps. And above all - DO NOT WEAR WHITE SNEAKERS. That will give you away faster than almost anything else. Brown shoes, the less they look like sneakers, the better. Don't look like you have money. Dress a bit on the shabby side, but not so shabby you look like a vagrant.

If you don't open your mouth, they won't be able to tell where you're from. Use that to full advantage. Feign incomprehension, if the person isn't someone worth talking to.

LOL!

In the '80s Germany and the UK had a battle of the tabloids where The Sun and Bild would run cover photos and articles slamming the other country's tourists. It was hilarious and all true. Both countries were accused of being drunken, sun-burned, loudly-singing beached whales when on vacation.

We yanks really do stand out with the loud voices and white sneakers.

John Chang said:
Yeah, I've seen pictures of drunk Brits cavorting naked in the canals of the Czech Republic. I've personally seen drunk Brits cavorting in the streets of Amsterdam at night that would put most "rude Americans" to shame. We're not that bad. Maybe we're a bit rude, but we're not hooligans.

That would be a good public relations campaign slogan: "The United States - We're Not That Bad"

I'd be discreet traveling abroad these days. Don't wear sports team shirts. Don't wear college sweatshirts. Don't wear those baseball caps. And above all - DO NOT WEAR WHITE SNEAKERS. That will give you away faster than almost anything else. Brown shoes, the less they look like sneakers, the better. Don't look like you have money. Dress a bit on the shabby side, but not so shabby you look like a vagrant.

If you don't open your mouth, they won't be able to tell where you're from. Use that to full advantage. Feign incomprehension, if the person isn't someone worth talking to.

They should add a suggestion that Americans should avoid political discussions unless absolutely necessary (better to feign incomprehensive), but if confronted on political issues - state the truth, which is that Americans have no control whatsoever over the policies and actions of the government. :)

ArdVan said:
John Chang said:
And above all - DO NOT WEAR WHITE SNEAKERS.
Dont't forget the shorts. At least in Europe nobody want's to see naked male legs. :lol:
Au Contraire. My Dutch coworkers were more than happy to share their pasty white bare legs to everyone else in the summer months. You really needed it, since few buildings actually had A/C.

This is probably where europe starts splitting off into individual countries. Maybe shorts are verboten in Switzerland?

ArdVan said:
John Chang said:
And above all - DO NOT WEAR WHITE SNEAKERS.
Dont't forget the shorts. At least in Europe nobody want's to see naked male legs. :lol:
Oh yes, and tell that to the Dutchman in his underwear, sunning himself in his back yard, which was adjacent to the train tracks, in full view of the passing trains between Den Haag and Rotterdam. I'll never forget that sight, although I wouldn't really mind it if I did.

John Chang said:
Oh yes, and tell that to the Dutchman in his underwear, sunning himself in his back yard, which was adjacent to the train tracks, in full view of the passing trains between Den Haag and Rotterdam. I'll never forget that sight, although I wouldn't really mind it if I did.
But did he have a glass of buttermilk sitting on a table next to him?

John Chang said:
Maybe shorts are verboten in Switzerland?
No, not at all. But it's one of things here you chance is high to recognise an American tourist here in Switzerland and that's what I'm talking about. It's a stereotype. Sometimes they are true, sometimes not. It's like you say Switzerland is just mountains, watches, cheese and chocolate.

Oh yeah, and secret bank accounts. :) Every now and then there's still a movie made in the US, where the bad guy has a secret bank account in Switzerland. Here the viewers just laugh, because while this was true until 20 years ago there has so much changed here. Those people launder their money now in other countries.

domivr said:
John Chang said:
But did he have a glass of buttermilk sitting on a table next to him?
No, but if he had, it would've been a real Kodak Moment(tm). I've never seen so many dairy products in my life. Milk milk milk milk milk. Don't get me started about the baloney sandwiches for lunch either. Oh God, that's bringing back bad memories.

Is it a european thing to have so many dogpiles on the sidewalks? I've heard it's a charming custom of the French and the Germans as well. I've seen it up close and stepped in it more than once. You really have to pay attention while you're walking.

True, but the only time I was in Paris was 7 yrs ago around this time and I sure would love to be stepping in dog poop in Paris right now. A stunningly beautiful and wonderful city that more than lived up to its hype, IMO.

John Chang said:
Is it a european thing to have so many dogpiles on the sidewalks? I've heard it's a charming custom of the French and the Germans as well. I've seen it up close and stepped in it more than once. You really have to pay attention while you're walking.

Back
Top Bottom