Feng Shui - book recommendations

Nević Nenad

The Living Force
I'm trying to know more on the Feng Shui, since it seems to be very interesting with 'all is energy' and that. I came across a number of books available on the internet, but the problem is that the books are more or less divided in two categories, new age BS (totally impractical, I really don't wont to "spread the light into my sharp corners . . . ") and something that looks like transcriptions from the old chinese books (full of diagrams and formulas, really not for me).

I am interested in something easy explained, something like: 'in situation that and that, its the best to do this and this'.

So, any experiences, recommendations?

It is a long process and like many things - can't be learned overnight although a large chunk of it is a mechanical system. Believe it or not, the Complete Idiot's Guide to Feng Shui is a great place to start.

(3rd edition) by by Elizabeth"(Author) ; Yu, Master Joseph(Author); Biktashev, Master Val(Author) Moran (Author)

BTW, you are right to realize that there are many fluffy, new-agey feng shui books and sites which are total garbage. If they are selling "magic special cures", run the other way. Like any endeavor, there are layers and layers of nuance to the deal. So don't expect to totally grasp everything from one book in a short time. Patience.

BTW, the best online feng shui flying star calculator I have seen is here:

_https://www.fscalc.com/

But it will mean nothing without study and some real work.

(the flying star part of the theory is a later step after the basics.)

At that site you can even (for a small fee) plug in your house with google maps and create a sort of qi overlay - I just use the free part and draw my own house diagrams for analysis. Anyway - there ya go.

Today me too I decided to study this subject. I have at home a book about Feng Shui that looks interesting, never read it but I will. It does not look New Age. It is: Tao of Feng Shui, Book one, fundamentals of Feng Shui by Dr. Shan-Tung Hsu.

It looks good but I don't know if it is. So many books around about this subject.

After doing a bit of research on the web, I've ordered: Feng-shui: The Ancient Wisdom of Harmonious Living for Modern Times, and A Master Class in Feng-shui - both books by Eva Wong.

BHelmet said:

Flying Star is the 'system' used by Eva Wong, and as you state, BHelmet, it looks like a lot of study is required to make the most of Feng-shui. :)

Thank you all on your advices.

BHelmet said:
It is a long process and like many things - can't be learned overnight although a large chunk of it is a mechanical system. Believe it or not, the Complete Idiot's Guide to Feng Shui is a great place to start.

(3rd edition) by by Elizabeth"(Author) ; Yu, Master Joseph(Author); Biktashev, Master Val(Author) Moran (Author)

BTW, you are right to realize that there are many fluffy, new-agey feng shui books and sites which are total garbage. If they are selling "magic special cures", run the other way. Like any endeavor, there are layers and layers of nuance to the deal. So don't expect to totally grasp everything from one book in a short time. Patience.

I already found the book in e form and it realy looks like a good one to start with.

And the site seems to be good, although maybe still 'too much' for me :)

loreta said:
Today me too I decided to study this subject. I have at home a book about Feng Shui that looks interesting, never read it but I will. It does not look New Age. It is: Tao of Feng Shui, Book one, fundamentals of Feng Shui by Dr. Shan-Tung Hsu.

It looks good but I don't know if it is. So many books around about this subject.

Which really is a part of the problem. One must do great job to distinguish the good ones :)

Prodigal Son said:
After doing a bit of research on the web, I've ordered: Feng-shui: The Ancient Wisdom of Harmonious Living for Modern Times, and A Master Class in Feng-shui - both books by Eva Wong.

BHelmet said:

Flying Star is the 'system' used by Eva Wong, and as you state, BHelmet, it looks like a lot of study is required to make the most of Feng-shui. :)

I realize that my 'just to be well informed' approach will not work :) Time to consider would I invest energy in that or not :)

Thank you for the info @BHelmet. :-)

I nearly finished (362 page of 389) Complete Idiot's Guide to Feng Shui (unfortunately 2nd edition, 3rd is not available in Polish) and it is indeed interesting
(especially flying star parts - I draw some diagrams for house that my father inherited and it was accurate).

Anyway I have some questions:
1. What are your opinions on changing house period? It seems to me that inside book they were biased towards "traditionalist" view. In other words, it is impossible to change house period. You have to complete demolish it to change period.
On the other hands some professionalists (from Center for Applied Feng Shui Research (Singapore) - FengShui.Geomancy.Net) have view that MAJOR renovation does change the house period.

2. Do you use "4 pillars of destity" (or "Zi wei dou shu")?

3. Do you recommend something after "Complete Idiot's Guide to Feng Shui"?

Back
Top Bottom