"Fighter pilot has bizarre reaction in G-force

duyunne

Jedi Council Member
This is from Yahoo's daily buzz. (re: _Fighter pilot has bizarre reaction in G-force training video)

'A pilot had a strange reaction after exceeding 7g of force in a centrifuge training machine.'

David Ingram's article detals:

"As the pilot begins to gradually regain consciousness, he begins to more closely resemble somebody who’s possessed by an evil force as he violently thrashes around the cockpit."

-zinzin

Last edited by a moderator:
:scared: Wow! that's creepy! Specially when you consider how fast it all was, it reminds me about the discussion of how the gravity was different on earth at some point.

I wonder if being under a different pressure from the atmosphere has an effect on consciousness.

He mentions that it felt like he was in a fist fight. That bit made my skin crawl!

The notion of having to scrap your way back into control of your body makes me wonder.

In my 20s I smoked Salvia Divinorum and felt like I was transferred into the couch (does that make sense?). During this time I was described as 'worming around', having strange tactile interaction with the environment, while having a wicked scowl at my friend.

It felt like a struggle during that time and it felt like I was trapped in an intense overlapping frame of the couches pattern while having no recollection of what my body was doing, as if my consciousness shifted outside of my body and something else held my body for that time.

This video referenced that experience instantly.

(I have since then experimented again and not had such an experience. I no longer have an interest in using this substance any more.)

That looks indeed creepy :( Perhaps his personality was temporarily disabled allowing some possesing force to come forward?

Creepy indeed. :shock:

But I also wonder if it isn't something that may happen when human body is being subjected to such unusual pressure, and then when higher brain functions shut down, a more "primitive" part of brain kicks in. Notice the "growling", no formed speech. Not saying that something couldn't "hide" there. Whatever it is, it is still very scary. Also notice that the scary faces the guy did in the end were because he realized he had no control.

Here's another video from similar training, and you can see variety of responses (but nothing so dramatic as in the first video):

https://youtu.be/Yjg6mRFzZzE

Here's another:

https://youtu.be/qsR8OeiOgeI

Alejo said:
:scared: Wow! that's creepy! Specially when you consider how fast it all was, it reminds me about the discussion of how the gravity was different on earth at some point.

Yeah, it made me think that beside being hosts to bacteria and other creatures, we maybe natural hosts to other ethereal critters too. And probably to such an extend, not sure if it would make our sleep peaceful if we knew that. ;) :shock:

Keit said:
Yeah, it made me think that beside being hosts to bacteria and other creatures, we maybe natural hosts to other ethereal critters too. And probably to such an extend, not sure if it would make our sleep peaceful if we knew that. ;) :shock:

Probably not. :/ :)

What makes me curious is how the pilots get used to such force? Do their brains physically change in those training sessions so that they can handle such force?

I also heard that they say that once they got addicted to flying, normal life becomes too boring for them.

It may be worth checking what these forces do to the human body before assuming something specific is going on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force
Human tolerances depend on the magnitude of the g-force, the length of time it is applied, the direction it acts, the location of application, and the posture of the body.[7][8]:350

The human body is flexible and deformable, particularly the softer tissues. A hard slap on the face may briefly impose hundreds of g locally but not produce any real damage; a constant 16 g for a minute, however, may be deadly. When vibration is experienced, relatively low peak g levels can be severely damaging if they are at the resonance frequency of organs and connective tissues.

To some degree, g-tolerance can be trainable, and there is also considerable variation in innate ability between individuals. In addition, some illnesses, particularly cardiovascular problems, reduce g-tolerance.

Vertical

Aircraft pilots (in particular) sustain g-forces along the axis aligned with the spine. This causes significant variation in blood pressure along the length of the subject's body, which limits the maximum g-forces that can be tolerated.

Positive, or "upward" g, drives blood downward to the feet of a seated or standing person (more naturally, the feet and body may be seen as being driven by the upward force of the floor and seat, upward around the blood). Resistance to positive g varies. A typical person can handle about 5 g0 (49 m/s2) (meaning some people might pass out when riding a higher-g roller coaster, which in some cases exceeds this point) before losing consciousness, but through the combination of special g-suits and efforts to strain muscles—both of which act to force blood back into the brain—modern pilots can typically handle a sustained 9 g0 (88 m/s2) (see High-G training)[citation needed].

In aircraft particularly, vertical g-forces are often positive (force blood towards the feet and away from the head); this causes problems with the eyes and brain in particular. As positive vertical g-force is progressively increased (such as in a centrifuge) the following symptoms may be experienced:

Grey-out, where the vision loses hue, easily reversible on levelling out.
Tunnel vision, where peripheral vision is progressively lost.
Blackout, a loss of vision while consciousness is maintained, caused by a lack of blood to the head.
G-LOC, a g-force induced loss of consciousness.[9]
Death, if g-forces are not quickly reduced, death can occur.[10]

Resistance to "negative" or "downward" g, which drives blood to the head, is much lower. This limit is typically in the −2 to −3 g0 (−20 to −29 m/s2) range. This condition is sometimes referred to as red out where vision is figuratively reddened[11] due to the blood laden lower eyelid being pulled into the field of vision[12] Negative g is generally unpleasant and can cause damage. Blood vessels in the eyes or brain may swell or burst under the increased blood pressure, resulting in degraded sight or even blindness.

Having blood drain away from your brain is (from a biological perspective) life threatening situation, so the body will do whatever it has to - it'll trigger fight/flight for sure.
Second to that, it almost looks like a mini stroke (the right side of his face is droopy/unresponsive) - which is caused by lack of blood flow in the brain.

All this doesn't rule out something 'other', but should be considered first I think.

Back
Top Bottom