Gladiator

SOTTREADER

The Living Force
Everyone's no doubt seen gladiator...

Here's a look at spectacle and how gladiator used it to push the narrative and provide a more immersive experience for the viewer. This is in contrast to when spectacle isn't woven into the narrative but stands apart from it as is the case in modern CGI laden movies.

It's worth bearing such concepts in mind when consuming material on world events as we consume such as if we were watching movies in a cinema or in the comfort of our own homes.

Wow, I am actually surprised that there was no thread on this movie.

This is hands down on of my favorite movies, wonderfully directed and with amazing photography, acting is very well done and the sound track is one of my favorites, the music is really moving and it became part of my playlist.

The story is one that we can all relate to I think, the hero that is wronged upon and yet still rises above the call to do what is right. It speaks about duty and sacrifice and the ability of one human being to change the course of history against all odds, against the emperor of Rome. It's a movie about humility and yet about greatness, about how to navigate tragedy and evil in the most adequate manner despite the certainty of defeat.

I have watched it several times and it always moves me to see it, it's a rather inspiring piece of work. Jordan Peterson had a conversation about a few years ago that I remembered when I opened this thread. I will place it here:

From the same channel that you're referencing, I found that he did another take on Gladiator as part of a Stoic meditations series which was excellent and dives a little deeper on the topic and the movie itself and finds extra layers, I had created a thread about it here.

I've watched the video above that you posted @Alejo.

I agree with the content but have the following to add;

• Above and beyond the archetypes at play, Gladiator is quite powerful as it effortlessly integrates multiple concepts across different dimensions simultaneously - it's able to integrate wonderful acting, dialogue, archetypical concepts, elements of visual spectacle, sound and music in a way that enables it to engage with the viewer in a multidimensional way.

• The main character is great but I think having him as a role model needs to be done with caution - he's too perfect, he's of excellent character, of flawless bravery, he's capable of communicating well, he's good looking, he's a very good fighter, he possesses excellent leadership abilities etc. On average the majority of men are unlikely to possess all or majority of these qualities and to expect them to will only lead to a long line of very frustrated men who are stuck failing over and over again. I therefore think it's worth recognising that whilst the main man in this movie is great, he is not real. In terms of role models, I believe we'd want to find characters who are not as perfect (more real and human) and use them to drive a story that can hit the high points that Gladiator does and engage the viewer in a similarly multidimensional way.
Anyways, that's just my take.

In any case, this movie is 10/10.

That’s a very good point about the qualities of Maximus, although I’d argue that he’s an ideal perhaps? In humility and duty and wisdom.

On the other hand, it could also be understood as excellence, how things work when one does what one can in order to thrive, things workout and they’re predictable. That’s where he begins the story at the height of his power, influence and order. And things fall apart, it doesn’t matter if one was an excellent human being, husband and warrior, things can change and evil will strike as it does. Which reminds me of the idea of “always expect attack”.

Then they show him failing to remain a good man, he gives up on life and honor, he gives up on anything, he allowed himself to die and destiny intervened to keep him alive, and he didn’t care, he was simply waiting it out.

But he makes it, a slave that becomes stronger than the emperor through wisdom and perhaps a motivation? And at the very end, when he knows for sure that he won’t reap the benefits of his victory, he still withholds his duty and returns Rome to the senate.

So I would agree that perhaps Maximus is too perfect, but at the same time I believe that they constructed his character in a way that makes it believable that he would be such a person, and even though he’s so flawless per se, he constantly requires the help of others to be successful. Even at the beginning when he’s the most stable.

Back
Top Bottom