GMO fed to US Wellness Meats pigs 2012-2015

hlat

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
GMO fed to US Wellness Meats pigs from about 2012 to about 2015. They are still selling inventory of GMO fed pork until "this summer". This behavior by US Wellness Meats is totally irresponsible and inexcusable. Buyer beware.

Since pigs have a single stomach, unlike the four chambered stomach of cattle, we cannot raise a healthy animal on grass alone, so their diets are supplemented with corn and soy. This is usually a non-gmo feed ration, however, due to the historic dought of 2012, it has been very difficult (and in some rural areas, almost impossible) for our producers to source and feed a 100% non-gmo ration. We are getting closer to 100% non-gmo, and this post and our website will be updated just as soon as we can claim 100% non-gmo feed once again. Since production is combined, we cannot currently split the gmo and non-gmo fed animals. We hope to have 100% non-gmo fed pork by the end of 2014.

--

_http://blog.grasslandbeef.com/bid/87109/US-Wellness-Pork-II

US Wellness Pork II
Posted on Tue, Jan 14, 2014 @ 11:58 AM

What makes our pork products special? Lots of things, so we decided to put together a special pork post!

Raised in Missouri, our pigs are sourced from a small cooperative of like-minded farmers. They are now using the Global Animal Partnership (GAP) 5-Step rating system. We are really excited about these changes as we are hearing about more and more producers getting involved in the GAP program, and more retailers and consumers paying attention to that label. To learn more about GAP, please visit their website for a breakdown of the steps, and for details about what producers have to do to stay in the program.

There are five steps in the GAP program. All new producers have to start out at Step 1, which means they cannot use crates, stalls or cages. Most of our Step 1 producers actually do have their pigs outdoors, even though this first level does not require it. Our pork cooperative works with their new producers to help them move up as soon as possible, and make the commitment to move their farm to the next level. Our co-op works very closely with each farmer to get them to the Step 3 & Step 4 commitment levels (enhanced outdoor access and pasture centered).

Pork

What do they eat? Pigs are foragers, and most of our pigs are outdoors every day (weather permitting) to forage for bugs, sticks, roots, etc. Since pigs have a single stomach, unlike the four chambered stomach of cattle, we cannot raise a healthy animal on grass alone, so their diets are supplemented with corn and soy. This is usually a non-gmo feed ration, however, due to the historic dought of 2012, it has been very difficult (and in some rural areas, almost impossible) for our producers to source and feed a 100% non-gmo ration. We are getting closer to 100% non-gmo, and this post and our website will be updated just as soon as we can claim 100% non-gmo feed once again. Since production is combined, we cannot currently split the gmo and non-gmo fed animals. We hope to have 100% non-gmo fed pork by the end of 2014.

What about antibiotics & hormones?

We do not feed any antibiotics or growth hormones throughout the life of the animal.

What about nitrites? It is near-impossible to find pork in grocery stores that does not include some type of nitrites or nitrates. They are usually used in the curing process, and unfortunately have been suggested to be possible carcinogens. Most of the "nitrite-free" pork products are cured with celery salt, however this is another possible danger, as celery salt contains naturally occurring nitrates. The Weston A. Price Wise Traditions Magazine explored this subject in great depth as related to bacon. While there are countless ways to make bacon - the actual health benefits of this popular product depend on a host of factors, from the raising and processing, down to the cooking process.

The Wise Traditions article suggested that our ancestors had bacon figured out a long time ago. All it takes is a dry rub (we use sea salt) and a cure (ours cures for 2-3 days) then a slow smoke (our bacon is hickory smoked). The end result is deep pork flavor, healthy fat, and a new family favorite.

BaconWhat makes our bacon so special? The only ingredients are pork bellies and sea salt. That's it - no sugar, maple syrup, spices, honey, or sweeteners of any kind. We do not use any nitrites, nitrates, celery salt or MSG in the making or processing of the bacon. It is so clean, we even have Whole30 approval, a feat we are very proud of!

Since the new bacon went over so well, we have been working on several other pork recipes. Our Pork Breakfast Sausage is an office-favorite and a staple in our kitchens every morning. The new recipe contains only: pork, salt, rubbed sage, ground red pepper and black pepper. No sugars, sweeteners, nitrates, nitrites, or MSG, and the flavor is amazing!

Ham
A holiday favorite is the Sugar-Free Ham. This petite ham has the same ingredients as the bacon: pork, sea salt and water. Be sure to check out the Sugar-Free Options section online for more sugar-free choices.

LardA very popular pork offering is the highly sought after Pork Lard. After numerous customer requests and a new kettle purchase, we are able to render pork lard now. Lard is full of healthy fats and a very versatile oil to cook or fry in. We offer the pork lard in a 2-lb pail.

Our newest additions to the pork department are Pork Rinds! Fried in our pork lard, both varieties - Salt & Pepper and BBQ Spice - are tasty, shelf-stable snacks that both young and old will enjoy.

Looking for pork recipe ideas? Not sure how long to cook a ham? Here are some of our favorites pork recipes by some of our favorite chefs:

[omitted]

Find more recipes for a variety of pork products in our Recipe Section.

--

Any updates since this article Jan. 2014 on GMO's? Does the pork still have GMO's?
Posted @ Wednesday, March 11, 2015 10:49 AM by Sandy

Hi Sandy! The pork has been switched to a non-gmo feed, however, we're still working through current inventory so we will not be able to claim 100% non-gmo until this summer.
Posted @ Wednesday, March 11, 2015 12:36 PM by US Wellness Meats

Good to know. Thanks, Hlat, for posting this.

I've never ordered from US Wellness Meats as I prefer to check out local suppliers in my area. The few permaculture farms I've visited in the N. CA area are fairly expensive unless you buy in bulk due to the owners doing their best to avoid GMO feeds. But as one farmer admitted, even they can't always be sure of what they are buying as there may be some deception on the part of suppliers. It's sad we've gotten to this state.

That's very unfortunate; thanks for the heads-up, Hlat. I used to order frequently from US Wellness Meats, but have bought less to save money. They're the most reasonable price-wise I've seen online to get pastured pork lard from, so I ordered some a while ago. I still think it's better than what you'd get at the supermarket, even from high-end companies like Niman Ranch, but it's still irresponsible of them not to disclose this to their customers. I'll continue using them for their buckets of tallow, since I'm unable to drive long distances and buy in bulk from a farmer in my state, but who knows what they're really feeding them, especially when a lot of their beef comes from Tasmania!

I sent John at US Wellness hlat and zylja's posts. He responded with the following:

Pigs have been fed 100% non GMO fed since January 1.

Most producers crossed the thresh hold prior to the deadline. It took the pig coop a lot of time and money to put the verification system in place.

We have tested pork lard, bacon, pork rinds, and sausage in December 2013 and could not find any evidence of gmo protein and monsanto's r-up in these products.

Dr. Don Huber, who is the world's leading expert in this arena, has told me the muscle is not where you will find the issue. It is in the GI tract where the real damage is done, and where our immune and the animals immune system is driven. In short, avoid soybean oil at all costs in our diets with high fructose corn syrup running a close second. I worry about Dr. Huber as he has been in Monsanto's cross hairs for the past six years.

John
US Wellness Meats

I'm sure its difficult to verify that no GMO feeds make it to the pigs, and there is probably a lot of misrepresentation and fraud when it comes to these feeds (as NR commented).

I would also question the "tested" process in terms of whether or not these are the right tests that reflect animal health and meat/fat quality.

If you can afford to do it, the best option in the US would be to buy organically fed pork from a local small farm. We breed and raise our pigs using organic, soy-free feed. The cost of our high quality feed is more than double what most "non-GMO, but non-organic" feeds are. I think the number one reason why most farmers do not feed their pigs organic is the staggering cost to do so, another issue can be sourcing an organic feed mill. But you also get what you pay for. Most non-GMO feeds are going to be just as full of chemicals as the conventional feeds. In my opinion, non-GMO feeds are a little better than conventional, but not much. They are still going to be full of RoundUp and synthetic chemicals unless they are certified organic.

In this day and age it takes some serious effort to produce chemical free, pastured meat! Unfortunately there's not much financial reward for the farmer doing so either. I choose to do it simply because I wouldn't raise animals any other way!

zlyja said:
That's very unfortunate; thanks for the heads-up, Hlat. I used to order frequently from US Wellness Meats, but have bought less to save money. They're the most reasonable price-wise I've seen online to get pastured pork lard from, so I ordered some a while ago. I still think it's better than what you'd get at the supermarket, even from high-end companies like Niman Ranch, but it's still irresponsible of them not to disclose this to their customers. I'll continue using them for their buckets of tallow, since I'm unable to drive long distances and buy in bulk from a farmer in my state, but who knows what they're really feeding them, especially when a lot of their beef comes from Tasmania!

Tasmanian Beef - Yum!

Back
Top Bottom