Go back in time - Sending mail by post

Abats

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
Recently an idea crossed my mind and I wondered in these troubled times how to bring a little light and love when every day we have to face a little more civilization collapse, knowing that a new and more positive world will be born after these trials.
At a time when social networks and technology to communicate are at the forefront, I thought that it was so easy to exchange that almost nobody uses postal mail anymore. The majority of the time, apart from invoices, advertisements and parcels, there is no real human-to-human mail anymore. We send text-message in a few seconds, emails and often devoid of any symbolism in form and content.

Many people around me are in great pain, whether in their work or in becoming aseptic in a mechanical routine. So not knowing what tomorrow is made of, I started to write letters to some of my friends and family members.

The purpose of the letter is quite simple, it is basically to speak from the heart, to bring back good memories, to thank for what has been shared and to give hope. In what is written it looks like a last goodbye because everything is said as if this letter represented almost my last day on earth. It might sound strange but with the death of my father, I learned that I should say things as soon as possible while he was alive and not wait in resentment or ego.
The letter concludes on a very positive note, full of hope and praises the qualities of the person, her courage, her benevolence, her strength for example, she is reminded of who she is! and that we wish her to successfully go through the difficult trials that are very likely to emerge without ever mentioning them! (food shortages, uncontrolled economic collapse, STS virus etc..). In this letter, we enclose an object, something symbolic that represents life, beauty, joy and perhaps also a part of who we are, so that when times are dark, the person can look at the butterfly, reread the letter and perhaps regain some strength when they need it.

Maybe it will inspire some of you to surprise the people you cherish or who have been a positive turning point in your life. Just my two cents here
Letter and symbol.jpg

Edit : There is a movie called "the postman" the synopsis is that of a movement where the exchange of letters allows to give hope to people in the fight against a tyrannical empire erected after a 3rd world war

This is excellent idea and I must say when I started doing similar a year ago some people were quite surprised.
And the truth is many asked am I ok, dying or something ? :huh: :lol:

I got an idea from Gurdijeff's last hours of life practise. But probably many people
thougt about something similar last 2 years
because of all this stupid situation. Fear, distance, sudden deaths..
Every day is too short and you never know when is the last time you'll be able to say someone
why they are so close to your heart. And letters are great ! Even short one, or just notes,
stickers, flowers, I'll go with everything. Poems, candys, drawings, toys. Little things that say tenderness.
Thank you for being you, for being here.... for inspiring me, giving hope, helping.... existing !
What ever.
And you know what I miss the most ? That school scrapbooks and lexicons.
Friendship and simplicity.

Two months ago I wrote school note of excuse for my doughter cause she was sick for 3 days.
I wrote it by hand as we always did. Classmistres after told me that that is not exactly how it should be done.
Excuse me..? What's wrong ?
It's hand written.
So...? WTH ?

That freaking computers will take us over, they already did :-(
Stay human, write it by hand, send it with post office :hug2:

I am a DVD seller. I sell them via online marketplaces. About once a year I receive a mail from a customer.
The best one was from a man from Austria, written in an old style French and he was sending me back some stamp that hasn't been postmarked. "After all for a business man like you a cent is a cent." he said. That part was in English.

Many people around me are in great pain, whether in their work or in becoming aseptic in a mechanical routine. So not knowing what tomorrow is made of, I started to write letters to some of my friends and family members.

Nice!

It may be, in certain demographics, that some people today have never sent or received a personal letter in their lives. How about a post card - a wonderful short communication to receive.

I've a few old boxes full of old photos, where among them are letters from grandparents, parents, sisters (never from my brother ;-D) and aunts, uncles and friends. Generally do not look at these letters often, however every few years will come across them with joy at reading their hand and thoughts.

In a not finished T.C Lethbridge book review, Lethbridge spoke of receiving letters (and by hand - painting/drawings), not copies, that would react to his pendulum, and same for his wife - picking up energies, even the sex of who's pen/brush and probably from handling the paper, too. Personal touch transmission.

This is a fantastic and creative idea! I love it. Letters are vital. One of my favorite books genre is letters.
Letters tell us much more than a history book. In those days people communicated by letters and sometimes letters could take 6 months to reach their destination. Letters teach us how people felt, how they lived, their daily lives, their doubts, their adventures. We learn about the past through the exchange of letters that people had, in keeping with the tradition of writing letters.

Oh, and the joy of receiving a letter, opening the envelope, taking the time to read the letter.

It's a wonderful idea you've had, Abats.

I have a box at home full of letters that my father wrote to his mother. It has allowed me to know another side of my father. Letters are presence of spirit in a world that forgets spirit and presence. A letter is like time standing still, for a moment that is eternal. In this mechanical world of ours, time is not perceived, even the silence of time which is a witness to everything. Letters are eyes that look at us.

Bravo Abats. Perhaps in the future someone will collect the few paper letters, with their envelopes, that some romantics wrote in these dark and strange times. Our time. Writing a letter, as you do, is like sending a message to the heavens that says "I exist". I am here. I am a human being writing a letter.

Maybe for you and others that want to think about writing letters, there is a book by Simon Garfield about the art of writing letters.

518N2AHmRrL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom