Grain, gluten, dairy free date scones.

gottathink

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I have a strict diet and can only reduce inflammation in my body by cutting out all legumes and seeds as well as gluten and dairy free. So here is my scone recipe, I just did some baking to get out of a funk and hope someone else might enjoy these scones also.

Blend:
3 Tbsp nut or coconut milk
1 egg
1 tsp lemon juice
Put in freezer to chill

Sieve and Mix together:
1.5 cups almond meal
.5 cup tapioca starch
1 Tbs coconut flour
.5 tsp baking Soda
.5 tsp Himalayan salt
Add:
Large handful of chopped pitted dates

Melt:
.25 cup coconut oil
Then add to egg mixture.

Combine wet into dry to make a very sticky dough. Sprinkle tapioca starch onto a cutting board and plop on the dough. Cover hands with tapioca and form dough into a 15cm disc. Place disc in freezer to chill.

Grease and with tapioca flour a baking tray. Heat oven to 175 deg C whilst dough chills.

Cut dough into 6 or 8 wedges and place on tray, cooling the dough in the freezer makes it easier to cut and handle.

Bake for 23 mins then let cool before eating. They taste best when cool.
CBCD1B2F-FE4E-465C-AA84-1F169BB902A2.jpegF147C222-05E7-4CB5-B776-5A45D5074A13.jpeg4021A13E-D7DF-45A2-86ED-8591B63A6A50.jpegD4E40AAB-6409-467F-AA12-F3BDE9442E32.jpeg

I have a strict diet and can only reduce inflammation in my body by cutting out all legumes and seeds as well as gluten and dairy free. So here is my scone recipe, I just did some baking to get out of a funk and hope someone else might enjoy these scones also.

Blend:
1 egg
1 tsp lemon juice
Put in freezer to chill

Sieve and Mix together:
1.5 cups almond meal
.5 cup tapioca starch
1 Tbs coconut flour
.5 tsp baking Soda
.5 tsp Himalayan salt
Add:

Melt:
.25 cup coconut oil
Then add to egg mixture.

Combine wet into dry to make a very sticky dough. Sprinkle tapioca starch onto a cutting board and plop on the dough. Cover hands with tapioca and form dough into a 15cm disc. Place disc in freezer to chill.

Grease and with tapioca flour a baking tray. Heat oven to 175 deg C whilst dough chills.

Cut dough into 6 or 8 wedges and place on tray, cooling the dough in the freezer makes it easier to cut and handle.

View attachment 56796View attachment 56797View attachment 56798View attachment 56799
It looks delicious. I just have a question, because where I live we don't have tapioka flower in local stores. Can some other gluten free flover be used so this lovely cake would turn out the same? Because I have a baking ban at home already because of my experiments :lol:.

It looks delicious. I just have a question, because where I live we don't have tapioka flower in local stores. Can some other gluten free flover be used so this lovely cake would turn out the same? Because I have a baking ban at home already because of my experiments :lol:.
You may substitute Potato Starch. For information, and comparison:

Tapioca Flour/Starch / Manioc Flour / Cassava Flour:
General – Starch, made from the Cassava root plant
Use up to a maximum of 15% of total flour weight (this is for when used in making a flour blend)
Nutrition – Protein 0%, Carbohydrates 95%, Fat 0%, Fibre 0%
Vitamins and minerals – Calcium, Phosphorous, Sodium
Benefits – Starch, has chew, some elasticity and structure, lightness and fine texture, absorbs considerable amounts of liquid, some binding power
Problems – Low in nutrients

Potato Starch:
General – Made from the starch portion of potato, lacks nutrition and flavour
Use up to a maximum of 5% of total flour weight (this is for when used in making a flour blend)
Nutrition - Protein 0%, Carbohydrates 77%, Fat 0%, Fibre 0%
Vitamins and minerals – Calcium
Benefits – Binds with liquids, produces tenderness, tenacity and lightness in the pastry structure, delicate crumb, rich mouth feel
Problems – Using too much leads to a soggy, gummy, heavy texture

This may help, or not.

Arrowroot is similar I think?
Also cornflour.

Blend:
1 egg
1 tsp lemon juice
Put in freezer to chill

Sieve and Mix together:
1.5 cups almond meal
.5 cup tapioca starch
1 Tbs coconut flour
.5 tsp baking Soda
.5 tsp Himalayan salt
Add:

Melt:
.25 cup coconut oil
Then add to egg mixture.

View attachment 56796View attachment 56797View attachment 56798View attachment 56799
Heck I just realised this is missing in my ingredients

The flour mixture should also contain
1 Tbsp coconut or brown sugar

Back
Top Bottom