Grassfed Beef Liver supplements for tooth, gum health & more

Heather

Dagobah Resident
Hi all.

My husband and I started taking Ancestral brand organic Grassfed Beef Liver supplements, sourced in New Zealand.

I just wanted to mention something my husband's dentist said, and he'd only been taking the pills for maybe a month and a half, and he was increasing the number of pills gradually, so he was maybe taking two pills a day, when the full amount is six. But the dentist said it's extremely rare that she ever sees improvement in the bone surrounding the teeth. My husband had a tooth removed given it had always been misaligned with his bottom row of teeth, and it was being pushed up more and more. Only, this extraction loosened the other teeth. It was recommended he have several of his lower teeth removed, in fact. But he refused to do that. Not long after the extraction, the teeth moved closer together so that now there isn't much of a gap where the tooth was removed. However, he has to do cleanings every four months to try to preserve the other teeth. So, this was very good news that the bone is improving around these teeth, so much so that the dentist had to say how unusual this was.

I had always heard that beef liver was especially high in all sorts of vitamins. Only, eating beef liver isn't all that easy. You can order good quality online, but it's the eating part that's tough. So, taking a high quality supplement seemed like the next best thing.

My brother, who has Non-Hodgkins lymphoma, feels this product has helped him with his red blood cell count. He's also been doing hyperbaric oxygen, which would no doubt be helping in that regard as well. His white blood cell count is still a problem, although he's seen it improve somewhat. If anyone knows a way to increase white blood cell count -- he's taking a pharmaceutical, don't know which one -- but that seems to only last short term. I see that Reishi Mushroom is supposed to be good for that, and certain herbal teas.

As for the beef liver supplement, I've had pain in my upper arms recently, which seems to be improving I'm assuming due to these supplements.

Anyway, as you'll see on the information provided by the company, such supplementation could be helpful for any number of health issues. Ancestral brand supplements have other offerings, as well. So, check out all of them to see which would be best, or even take a combination.

Hi @Ina. It's great if you can stomach it. I could, if I forced myself to. But it's not, uh, an enjoyable experience by any means. I do better with chicken liver, although that's not nearly as high in vitamins. Actually, I have some organic beef liver in the freezer... waiting for one of us to do the honors (!) I could maybe do both. Stop the supplements for a week when I have the liver itself, then go back on the supplements 'til I get geared up to have the beef liver again.

Pet wise: I've been sprinkling some of the beef liver capsule on my cat's food (then folding it in so he doesn't notice it). He's sixteen years old, lost a hind leg last year... I thought he was looking frail a while back... I found a very good quality dry food that he actually likes, which has some grain in it, and I started with the beef liver idea. He looks much sturdier now -- not fat, but sturdier.

Hi @Ina. It's great if you can stomach it. I could, if I forced myself to. But it's not, uh, an enjoyable experience by any means. I do better with chicken liver, although that's not nearly as high in vitamins. Actually, I have some organic beef liver in the freezer... waiting for one of us to do the honors (!) I could maybe do both. Stop the supplements for a week when I have the liver itself, then go back on the supplements 'til I get geared up to have the beef liver again.

Pet wise: I've been sprinkling some of the beef liver capsule on my cat's food (then folding it in so he doesn't notice it). He's sixteen years old, lost a hind leg last year... I thought he was looking frail a while back... I found a very good quality dry food that he actually likes, which has some grain in it, and I started with the beef liver idea. He looks much sturdier now -- not fat, but sturdier.
Ah, I wished I could be there and cook it for you! If you have it in the freezer, I’m afraid is only good for pate or mince meat pie. The way one can consume fried or grilled beef liver steaks is when the liver is fresh. It also needs to have all the veins and skins removed, so it is a bit of work. Liver steak thickness should be 1.5 to 2 cm. I like it 2/3 cooked. I ’seal’ it first and then cook it for not more than 5 minutes. Another thing is once cooked it has to be eaten straight away. Any left over, next day it is no longer good as a steak so you can make a pie or terrine or pate.

All the best!

Ah, I wished I could be there and cook it for you! If you have it in the freezer, I’m afraid is only good for pate or mince meat pie. The way one can consume fried or grilled beef liver steaks is when the liver is fresh. It also needs to have all the veins and skins removed, so it is a bit of work. Liver steak thickness should be 1.5 to 2 cm. I like it 2/3 cooked. I ’seal’ it first and then cook it for not more than 5 minutes. Another thing is once cooked it has to be eaten straight away. Any left over, next day it is no longer good as a steak so you can make a pie or terrine or pate.

All the best!
Ha! You do make it sound appetizing!

All the best!
@Ina, where do you buy your beef liver? Our supermarket does not carry it, and I'm not sure their policy allows them to order it for just one customer. I think there would need to be a trend first. I could be put on a list at a local grass-fed beef provider, but I don't think I would be getting it regularly.

Have you tried an online search? I am in South Africa, and the beef liver is the cheapest fresh meat product one can buy, and you can fnd it fresh in all supermarkets. Together with other organs (lungs, kidneys, brain, heart, stomack aka tripe) I believe beef liver is considered ‘peasant’s food delicacy’.

Have you tried an online search? I am in South Africa, and the beef liver is the cheapest fresh meat product one can buy, and you can fnd it fresh in all supermarkets. Together with other organs (lungs, kidneys, brain, heart, stomack aka tripe) I believe beef liver is considered ‘peasant’s food delicacy’.
Only problem is, when you buy online you're buying frozen. But, yeah, I can get very good quality frozen beef liver online.

America used to have good butchers, and it would have been similar to what you're saying: organ meats would be considered "less than" an expensive steak. Those with money would go for the steak. At the same time, people did realize you could get extra vitamins from things like beef liver. I used to have it several times a month growing up -- with lots of onions and A-1 sauce, which made it palatable (!)

Actually, there is a grocery store I don't usually go to since it's not as convenient a location but it has more ethnic type food, and for that reason it may have liver and other organ meats. As to whether it's grass fed though, that's another matter. It might not be.

Only problem is, when you buy online you're buying frozen. But, yeah, I can get very good quality frozen beef liver online.

America used to have good butchers, and it would have been similar to what you're saying: organ meats would be considered "less than" an expensive steak. Those with money would go for the steak. At the same time, people did realize you could get extra vitamins from things like beef liver. I used to have it several times a month growing up -- with lots of onions and A-1 sauce, which made it palatable (!)

Actually, there is a grocery store I don't usually go to since it's not as convenient a location but it has more ethnic type food, and for that reason it may have liver and other organ meats. As to whether it's grass fed though, that's another matter. It might not be.
I was thinking rather at searching online for any small producer that could supply fresh beef liver. Deli shops might be able to source it from their suppliers. Halal butcheries and delis should have beef liver and also mothership groceries might stock beef liver that hasn’t been koshered.

I was thinking rather at searching online for any small producer that could supply fresh beef liver. Deli shops might be able to source it from their suppliers. Halal butcheries and delis should have beef liver and also mothership groceries might stock beef liver that hasn’t been koshered.
Oh, I see what you mean.

Maybe I should start with a more specific search about grass fed beef liver in my area. It's tough up here since it's not very cosmopolitan. I'd even have to do a search to find a Deli in the town where I shop, a lot of which has become "sprawl," if you know what I mean. The old town is surrounded by strip mall type areas.

When I go to the city I can go to Whole Foods, which would have it, at least some of the time. They certainly have fresh chicken livers. But around here it will take some research.

Actually, if I wanted to be adventuresome, there are towns up here that are completely Hasidic. They would no doubt have the Halal butcheries you're talking about. It's kind of like entering another country, though. Not many people outside of that community would be shopping there, so you're really entering this foreign land almost.

Anyway, thank you, Ina! I hope all the mayhem we're seeing in South Africa right now is not in your immediate area!

Oh, I see what you mean.

Maybe I should start with a more specific search about grass fed beef liver in my area. It's tough up here since it's not very cosmopolitan. I'd even have to do a search to find a Deli in the town where I shop, a lot of which has become "sprawl," if you know what I mean. The old town is surrounded by strip mall type areas.

When I go to the city I can go to Whole Foods, which would have it, at least some of the time. They certainly have fresh chicken livers. But around here it will take some research.

Actually, if I wanted to be adventuresome, there are towns up here that are completely Hasidic. They would no doubt have the Halal butcheries you're talking about. It's kind of like entering another country, though. Not many people outside of that community would be shopping there, so you're really entering this foreign land almost.

Anyway, thank you, Ina! I hope all the mayhem we're seeing in South Africa right now is not in your immediate area!
The shechita keep a separate shop.

As @Ina relates, sourcing fresh, and as you mention, not-frozen, may be best:
Hi all.

My husband and I started taking Ancestral brand organic Grassfed Beef Liver supplements, sourced in New Zealand.

I just wanted to mention something my husband's dentist said, and he'd only been taking the pills for maybe a month and a half, and he was increasing the number of pills gradually, so he was maybe taking two pills a day, when the full amount is six. But the dentist said it's extremely rare that she ever sees improvement in the bone surrounding the teeth. My husband had a tooth removed given it had always been misaligned with his bottom row of teeth, and it was being pushed up more and more. Only, this extraction loosened the other teeth. It was recommended he have several of his lower teeth removed, in fact. But he refused to do that. Not long after the extraction, the teeth moved closer together so that now there isn't much of a gap where the tooth was removed. However, he has to do cleanings every four months to try to preserve the other teeth. So, this was very good news that the bone is improving around these teeth, so much so that the dentist had to say how unusual this was.

I had always heard that beef liver was especially high in all sorts of vitamins. Only, eating beef liver isn't all that easy. You can order good quality online, but it's the eating part that's tough. So, taking a high quality supplement seemed like the next best thing.

My brother, who has Non-Hodgkins lymphoma, feels this product has helped him with his red blood cell count. He's also been doing hyperbaric oxygen, which would no doubt be helping in that regard as well. His white blood cell count is still a problem, although he's seen it improve somewhat. If anyone knows a way to increase white blood cell count -- he's taking a pharmaceutical, don't know which one -- but that seems to only last short term. I see that Reishi Mushroom is supposed to be good for that, and certain herbal teas.

As for the beef liver supplement, I've had pain in my upper arms recently, which seems to be improving I'm assuming due to these supplements.

Anyway, as you'll see on the information provided by the company, such supplementation could be helpful for any number of health issues. Ancestral brand supplements have other offerings, as well. So, check out all of them to see which would be best, or even take a combination.
[...]

[yes you mention Whole Foods -- give them encouragement and they'll get that on the shelf, although may still have been frozen]
^^
However, to add something, that link you gave in first post looks novel to me -- "non-defatted", freeze-dried liver. Formerly, if I recall correctly, freeze-dried liver like available from Argentina or New Zealand would be de-fatted, which is strange to have a lot of Vitamin A (stable?) in this now fat free powder. Stranger still, it appears the term "undefatted" has been made to describe this now.. liver powder with some fatty constituents.

"Natural Sources" brand has made freeze-dried gland supplements for some time.
From a link to "Natural Sources All Liver" at vitacost.c_om vitamin site:

htt_s://www.vitacost.c_om/natural-sources-all-liver

Natural Sources All Liver Description
Raw Liver Glandular Concentrate
Easy To Swallow
All Liver Concentrate naturally supports the largest organ in the body, the liver; an enzymatic organ responsible for storing energy (glucose), vitamins, iron and minerals; synthesizing protein; processing expired red blood cells, producing bile, metabolizing toxins, regulating hormones and cholesterol and killing germs that have entered the body through the intestines.

Natural Sources Raw Liver Glandular Concentrate. Whole "raw" tissue concentrated from bovine sources specially processed (freeze-dried) at or below -5'C to preserve natural occurring vitamins, enzymes, nucleotides, lipoproteins and other cellular components. "Raw" tissue concentrates are made from toxin-free lyophilized glands imported from animals grazed on rangeland free of pesticides, growth hormones, antibiotics or chemical additives. Special sustained release formulation ensure maximum intestinal availability.
Formerly they'd have been able to market this as undeffated, I think. That source uses fillers, like stearates or rice bran. The "Ancestral" brand you linked is in simply a gelatin capsule and seems to be on par with the "whole" freeze-dried concentrate, which I think is worthwhile and should be encouraged if regular, whole liver is not available or of questionable quality.
Formerly frozen liver and fresh liver needs special treatment cooking, you can figure. From the reports, I applaud you emphasizing this, and, being wary of not too much of or odd forms of Vit. A, encouraging nutritional benefits of liver from that place.

Thanks for sharing @Heather. I didn't think of beef liver being beneficial to teeth but it does makes sense given that it's high in many vitamins that are linked to healthy gum and also has elevated amounts of phosphorus. What works for me when it comes to keeping my teeth healthy is magnesium citrate and keeping sugar and coffee to a minimum.

The taste of liver is definitely not the most pleasant. It took me a few tries before I could get accustomed to it and at times I still struggle finishing my plate but I generally find that the higher the quality of the liver, the more tasty and easier to eat it is. Taking beef liver in supplement form is clearly a better alternative IMO if you really struggle eating it. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom