Greek Language

Ὦ θεῖε κοσμικέ νοῦ
Ἱερά συνείδησις ἐν ὁλῷ κόσμῳ
Ἐνεγκοῦσα Ἐνεγκών ἐν καρδίᾳ (because νοῦs is masculine and it is still addressing the divine cosmic mind)
Κῦβερνήτης Kυβερνῆτα τοῦ νοῦ (because we are addressing him directly)

Alana, I used Ἐνεγκοῦσα because I thought it should refer to συνείδησις (fem.) I see now that what should be carried in the heart is the "divine cosmic mind"! Ok!

Also, when reading the English and French versions of the prayer I didn't think that "Ruler - Maître" and "Saviour - Sauveur" would have to be, necessarily, in the vocative case, as they could be just two epithets of the "divine cosmic mind". I understand now that if we use the vocative case, as if calling forth or evoking the divinity, we better express the nature of the prayer! (And that's why it's so important to "feel" the text, as you said, I have to remember myself too!)

Ζῆθι ἔν μοι τήμερον [Ζῆσον ἐντός ἐμοῦ σήμερον] (that's how I would translate it personally, does it sound any good? :P )

About the imperative forms of the verb ζάω (contract form in attic is ζῶ), I found them to be ζῆθι and ζῆ (definition of the Perseus lexicon at http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph?l=zh&la=greek is "verb 2nd sg pres imperat act attic epic ionic contr"). But maybe in Koine Greek it changed? I'll look some more and see if I can learn about it. How do you say it in Modern Greek?

On the use of "ἐντός" I found this definition in the Middle Liddell dictionary:
ἐντός ἐν
within, inside, Lat. intus, opp. to ἐκτός:
I.as prep. with gen., τείχεος ἐντός Il.; ἐντὸς Ὀλύμπου Hes., etc.; ἐντὸς ἐμαυτοῦ in my senses, Hdt.; so absol., ἐντὸς ὤν Dem.:—also with Verbs of motion, τείχεος ἐντὸς ἰέναι Il.
2.within, i. e. on this side, Lat. citra, ἐντὸς τοῦ Ἄλυος ποταμοῦ Hdt., etc.
3.of Time, within, ἐντὸς εἴκοσιν ἡμερῶν Thuc.; ἐντὸς ἑσπέρας short of, i. e. before, evening, Xen.
II.absol. within, ἐντὸς ἐέργειν Hom.; ἐντὸς ἔχειν Thuc.; τὰ ἐντός the inner parts, inwards, id=Thuc.

So I think that you used it correctly (with ἐμόϛ in the genitive case). Once more I translated it literally (with ἐν plus dative case). The two expressions mean the same thing, and I think your version sounds good! What do you think? It wound sound more fluid or easier to speak too?

Ἴσθι ἐμόν ἄρτον τῆς ἡμέρης [ Δος ἐμοῦ τὸν ἄρτον τὸν ἐπιούσιον] (since you used δίδωμι below and ἐπιούσιον because that's how it is in the Lord's Prayer in ancient Gr and it means more than "a daily bread", but "substantial and essential")*
Ὧς δίδωμι ἄλλοις ἄρτον

* The verse from the Lord's Prayer in ancient gr:

τὸν ἄρτον ἡμῶν τὸν ἐπιούσιον δὸς ἡμῖν σήμερον

Though when we address the Lord in LP we talk from us: ἡμῶν, ἡμῖν , but when addressing the DCM in the POTS it's just me talking to her/him/it, in first person.

And also note how σήμερον is used, that's why I changed it in the previous sentence as well.

I didn't know the word ἐπιούσιος! From the Greek Thesaurus (http://www.tlg.uci.edu/lsj/#eid=41551&context=search) we have:

ἐπιούσιος, ον, either, sufficient for the coming (and so current) day, (ἐπιοῦσα (sc. ἡμέρα)), or, for the day (ἐπὶ τὴν οὖσαν (sc. ἡμέραν)), ἄρτος Ev.Matt.6.11, Ev.Luc.11.3; τὰ ἐ. dub. sens. (cf. Phil.Woch.47.889) in Sammelb.5224.20. (Very rare word in Origen's day, De Orat.27.7.) (Emphasis mine)

So I guess it goes better than just saying "in this day - daily" or "of this (one) day", as I tried to say and both Matthew and Luke used it! What I didn't understand is the reason you translated "Be my daily bread" as "Give me 'sustenance', the essential" (Δος ἐμοῦ τὸν ἄρτον τὸν ἐπιούσιον - I'm assuming you used Δος as the imperative form sing. of δίδωμι. I found the form δίδου). Although I liked the idea of using δίδωμι in both verses, we could reach a middle ground and keep both Ἴσθι" and "τὸν ἐπιούσιον"! What do you say? ;D

(Because even though we might say in LP "Give us this day our daily bread" what we are trying to convey in Ancient Greek is not "Give me something", but "Be something" and then "As I give something...". Just some thoughts!)

And I had "a thing" with those attic words with "τ", such as "τήμερον" - but, as the following entry shows, I guess it's better if we use the more common form for all Greeks then:

σήμερον ἡμέρα with ς prefixed
to-day, Hom., Pind.:—the common attic form was τήμερον, Ar., etc.; εἰς τήμερον Plat.; ἡ τ. ἡμέρα Dem.

I am still working on it ;) I can tell by reading that it is not correct in some parts (probably because we use some ancient gr in church and other phrases in everyday life still) so I know it has to "sound" a certain way (when words are put together, conjugations, declension, etc). But to find the right words it takes me hours of investigation and reading :cry:

Thank you for helping to translate it, I am learning a lot and my hope is that we will find the right words and "rhythm" as we go along!

Back
Top Bottom