Guillermo del Toros’s Pinocchio

tykes

Jedi Master
Hi, I would like to open this thread to recommend this new version of Pinocchio by Guillermo del Toro to anyone who might be interested.
Personally I found it touching and very well done, the new elements they add in this version I found very appropriate and creative like setting it during WWII which in my opinion gives a unique twist to the classic story, the theme of the disobedience of the puppet to end up doing the right thing I found very interesting as well.
I have seen it at least a couple of times already with my kids and I must admit that it brought a couple of tears to my eyes.

Visually it is very nice and the music is beautiful, the movie overall looks like it was made with genuine love for the original play, recommended to watch during these holidays.

37F69391-095F-4B4D-A5A8-E2B939126346.jpeg

I watched it with my folks over the holidays. One of my favourite parts was when Mussolini said, "I like puppets" when entering the circus!

Apparently the film itself was created with only puppets, too, all in stop-motion. When seen with this in mind, it's an incredible display of craftsmanship. Del Toro speaks about the importance of the beauty of imperfection in this short vid:

It's the beauty in the flaw
The grace of imperfection

Reminded me of the above phrase taken from the lyrics of 'A Cell Divides' by Haken
I remember being told the story of jazz guitarist, Joe Pass. When recording, he would not go back and correct any mistakes he made, he just wanted to keep what he played.

What is funny though, is that when guitarists come along and learn his songs and his licks, they will play the same mistakes... as they have become part of the music. :-)
🤔

Pinocchio was one of my favourite books growing up and i was disappointed that the this film strayed so much from the original story. Not just timeline (originally the story was never set in fascist Italy) but also all the trials of wooden boy’s soul development. Del Toro’s emphasis is on the transformation of Geppeto while this is really a story about the transformation of the boy in order to reclaim his soul. So in that sense it was a miss.

Pinocchio was one of my favourite books growing up and i was disappointed that the this film strayed so much from the original story. Not just timeline (originally the story was never set in fascist Italy) but also all the trials of wooden boy’s soul development. Del Toro’s emphasis is on the transformation of Geppeto while this is really a story about the transformation of the boy in order to reclaim his soul. So in that sense it was a miss.
Yes, it is the search for the "grail" in a children's story.

It must be wonderful to stop being made of wood.

Pinocchio is my favorite! Thank you tykes - I will watch this movie!

I found Pinocchio in the school library when I was 8 or 9 - from then on this children's book was my bible.
Gepetto was God, and I was the wooden puppet on the way to becoming human.

Translated with DeepL.

Back
Top Bottom