Has anyone seen "DreamKeeper"?

highmystica

Jedi Master
I went to a tribal council meeting today and traveling back, my dad and I got into a discussion about movies - and he reminded me of this one. It is his personal favorite movie concerning native americans, and I happen to agree (one of those odd times when we agree - lol). But most people I've met who've watched it regardless of their heiritage tend to like it.

I find this to be a very powerfull and thought inspiring movie. It's about a troubled teen and his grandfather (who is a traditional story teller) traveling across the south west to an indian pow-wow, and I know it is terribly cliche' but what makes it so amazing is the stories the grandfather (which are borrowed from all over the country) that a full of magic and myth tie in very deeply and directly to what is going on with the kid. The way it is done is simply perfect.

To paraphrase something one of my indian grandmothers told my dad when he was a child - "It doesn't have to be factual, so long as it is TRUE". If you can understand that statement you'd probably enjoy this movie.

[edit]
I brought up the statement "It doesn't have to be factual so long as it is true" to someone and they went off on this tangent concerning history and what not - to which I replied, how factual is metaphor and allegory, they didn't get it - oh well. *shruggs*

Back
Top Bottom